Moonlighting.. need work on my bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in San Diego area. About to venture on a very long arduous tour on my bike, and need to do a valve check, replace CCT, and rebuild of forks and shock. I will show my appreciation in the form of cash to anyone in the area who is versed and experienced with this repair. Otherwise i'll need to spend some big cheese at the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

If I was closer I would be glad to help.

I would hope someone will come along and offer help.

I would say go to your USA section on the Forum and ask for a Tech Day in your area. Hope you can find help.

Go poke around in the Socal Tech Day thread in the California regionals section.

We just had a Tech Day up in Michigan and several CCT's were swapped, several valve checks, and on my bike, valve shims were changed.

Gunny on looking for a local Tech Day...beer and pizza will buy a lot of maintenance items.

Perhaps you can find a good local independent shop for some of the work. Save some serious $$$ that way. A good used late model shock won't set you back too much and will provide a huge improvement over the softly-sprung '03. GEN I forks are pretty tough, so unless you have a ton of miles, odds are with you that the bushings are good. A fork flush and fluid change isn't that bad to do.

If you were closer to the PNW, I'd recommend that you attend our Tech Day the end of April. Attendees have done all the items you're describing...

--G

thanks for the suggestions. I was able to find a tech day coming soon to my area, which i am going to attend. however, the guy hosting it doesnt want anyone adjusting valves there.

BTW my forks have 55,000 miles on them, i dont need any great upgrade, as i feel the ride is sufficient as is, but would buying new fork springs be suggested?

From the get-go, '03s were sprung on the soft side, much more so than the later years. A set of firmer springs rated for your weight will help the handling a bit and improve the ride. For around $100 or so it's a good investment.

Race Tech has a spring rate calculator that provides an idea of the rate required. Drill down to the FJR listings and you'll see it.

--G