Motorcyclist Review of 2014 Electronic Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfish..... sounds like you'll just have to be patient....... I could get a '14 tomorrow, I just hate to pay new prices and take the first year hit on depreciation, but I wonder given the '14's popularity so far if there will be any used ones available for quite a while. I'm hanging in there for a while, but seeing one in person might sway me (going to the Michigan bike show in a couple of weeks). I'd venture to say either the A or the ES will suit your style, and you'd like the ES. The '13A & '14A suspension has better springs although I'd like to experience that setup with the one-sided damping or hear from a more aggressive Gen II rider who went with a '13..... I suspect it's quite adequate for most now. The stock GenII forks are actually quite good and mostly need new springs, rear shock barely adequate IMHO. You could upgrade Pop's Gen II as another option, it would feel like a new bike, but that throttle by wire seems like da bomb. Whenever you get there so to speak, sell that ST privately, there is a market although dwindling. There's always a buyer out there.

I'm also interested in hearing from '14ES owners who ride more aggressively and hear their comments on adequacy..... although I rode my '07 for two years increasingly realizing the rear shock had to go... may take some time for enough feedback to make an informed decision.

All that said, I could be happy with a '13..........

Give me points, kickstarters, magnetos and manually adjustable suspension systems for now.
fuck.gif

flirt.gif

Hugs n' Kisses
I don't miss points and I can't wait for carburetors to disappear altogether, but I do miss kick starters.

I believe that the benefits of new features do not always outweigh the costs and risk of failure. I did not want ABS on my '05 because of the risk of failure and that has proven to be the case in some small number of ABS units where the pump has frozen or other problems have come up. I have the same feeling about the new ES. I am sure that most buyers will love it and based on my experience with Yamaha products, it will be relatively trouble free, but I don't think the cost and risk of failure outweigh the benefits for me. I also do not like the concept of being able to manually adjust only one tube on the fork for the non-ES model, so I'll probably be spending money of suspension upgrades anyway if I buy a new FJR.

Now for a technical question. Can the ES suspension be adjusted manually independent of the automatic adjustments? I'm thinking that someone would want to tune the suspension to meet his needs first, then use to automatic adjustments to compensate for different conditions around the initial manually settings.

Now for a technical question. Can the ES suspension be adjusted manually independent of the automatic adjustments? I'm thinking that someone would want to tune the suspension to meet his needs first, then use to automatic adjustments to compensate for different conditions around the initial manually settings.
I haven't read anything that would suggest that manual adjustments are available to fine tune the presets. The ES that Ducati put on the 2010 MultiStrata was supposed to have that capability but it was a very cumbersome system that involved using a complicated menu when the engine was off. The dealerships didn't have any interest in trying to fine tune their demos and I have never read any comments from a MultiStrata owner who tried to do it.

If my understanding is correct, the presets you can choose from on the fly are limited, but when you stop, you can tweak some settings within the presets in the deeper menus to approximate what your preference is. It may not be perfect for you, but you might be able to get close enough to keep you happy. Manual adjustments adjustments don't seem to be possible, as the servos have basically replaced the manual adjustment knobs.......

I'd be confident that down the road if you want more springing, there will be something available for the rear shock. As for the forks, don't see why you couldn't replace the springs..... somebody one day is bound to come up with aftermarket valving...... the only concern is what happens if the rear shock leaks out its gases/oil..... again, there are places that will rebuild shocks (Cogent Dynamics, e.g.). In the relatively small likelihood the servos fail, one might have to bite the bullet (price you pay for proprietary gadgets). I'd be less inclined to think the main ECU portion of the system would fail, but one could consider a YES warranty (not worth it north of the 49th) especially if one is not mechanically inclined.

I have a friend with a BMW whose shocks went south (both ends), and had them rebuilt by a local guy....... saved big bucks. Basically just a re/re of seals and a recharge, new springs...... stock valving.

If you think you'll be happy with a manual adjustable 'A', where you can get an aftermarket rear shock (Gen II should fit?), it's not that big a deal to tweak the preload or damping.... think of how many times you really do that now, and whether you want to make changes on the fly and spend the extra up front...... personal choice.

I haven't read anything that would suggest that manual adjustments are available to fine tune the presets. The ES that Ducati put on the 2010 MultiStrata was supposed to have that capability but it was a very cumbersome system that involved using a complicated menu when the engine was off. The dealerships didn't have any interest in trying to fine tune their demos and I have never read any comments from a MultiStrata owner who tried to do it.
It's not all that difficult once you make peace with the fact that the manual was written by somebody for whom English was not their first language; and that Italian engineering is a little "different". For each of the four on-the-fly selectable modes you can pretty well pre-set (while parked) everything: power delivery, traction control intervention, rear pre-load (8 settings), front and rear compression and rebound damping (16 settings each). The pre-load makes sense in that a higher number = more. For damping on the other hand, higher number = less. (I told you it was Italian) None of this is done with manual clickers. It's all done through on-screen menus.

I spent a lot of time getting all four modes just where I wanted them. But after the novelty wore off, the only time I really change modes is for mounting / dismounting. I have one mode set to zero pre-load so that my stumpy little legs can get me on and off the bike without generating a Youtube moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not all that difficult once you make peace with the fact that the manual was written by somebody for whom English was not their first language; and that Italian engineering is a little "different". For each of the four on-the-fly selectable modes you can pretty well pre-set (while parked) everything: power delivery, traction control intervention, rear pre-load (8 settings), front and rear compression and rebound damping (16 settings each). The pre-load makes sense in that a higher number = more. For damping on the other hand, higher number = less. (I told you it was Italian) None of this is done with manual clickers. It's all done through on-screen menus.

I spent a lot of time getting all four modes just where I wanted them. But after the novelty wore off, the only time I really change modes is for mounting / dismounting. I have one mode set to zero pre-load so that my stumpy little legs can get me on and off the bike without generating a Youtube moment.
OK, now I have comments from a MultiStrada owner who has manually (and successfully) changed the presets
smile.png
, but it does sound like a cumbersome process since it involves using a multi-step menu when the bike is stopped rather than turning a manual clicker. It also sounds like once you got everything set, you pretty much had a favorite that you used most of the time. Irregardless of the complexity and time involved, I think the ability to fine tune the presets is a "must" if a major spring change is involved since a heavier spring needs more rebound damping but less compression damping.

OK, now I have comments from a MultiStrada owner who has manually (and successfully) changed the presets
smile.png
, but it does sound like a cumbersome process since it involves using a multi-step menu when the bike is stopped rather than turning a manual clicker. It also sounds like once you got everything set, you pretty much had a favorite that you used most of the time. Irregardless of the complexity and time involved, I think the ability to fine tune the presets is a "must" if a major spring change is involved since a heavier spring needs more rebound damping but less compression damping.
It's really no more arduous than setting up one's suspenders with wrenches and a screwdriver. First the pre-load; wrench for the front and button/screen menu for the rear. Then the compressions for whatever compromise you deem appropriate for your riding conditions; again, a button and the screen. Finally, the rebounds, button and screen, to where both ends of the bike rise and stop uniformly.

It's just that with the Multistrada you need to go through this process 4 times; once for each of the on-the-fly mode settings. And there's setting the power delivery and traction control for each mode. But, that's a whole other story for another time.

This article implies the ES suspension may have stiffer springing than the A...... if so, I see that as a good thing for a 200+ lb rider. Front forks are adjustable (when stopped) for independent rebound and compression, but preload is done manually (I would presume one would do this initially to set up your preferred sag). The rear damping is a combined rebound and compression via one motor, and damping via a separate motor...... so, overall, it's not a bad deal for $1000. IF the ES is stiffer, this may prolong the need for upgrades down the road.

In weighing the A situation (same as '13), question is, is that setup in need of springing upgrades. In both A and ES situations, will the more 'enthusiast' types want a better rear shock (more preload, better damping, better for two-up, etc.), which will cost as much as getting the ES in the first place.... and I also assume one day aftermarket guys will be able to rebuild OEM ES shocks with springs and valving....

Interesting that some of you say once you have it dialed in, that you don't play with the electrics much...... kinda was my original thought. Those with good aftermarket suspensions don't play with it a lot once they have it dialed in.

Anyhoo, the extra stiffness is swaying me towards the ES (of course, who doesn't like toys even if you don't play with them all the time).

Razerman, when you say "preload is done manually" what do you mean? All suspension settings are done via the left grip toggles and buttons as shown on the lcd display. There are no levers or dials or nuts to adjust manually.

Razerman, when you say "preload is done manually" what do you mean? All suspension settings are done via the left grip toggles and buttons as shown on the lcd display. There are no levers or dials or nuts to adjust manually.
The question of the day after the RIDER review of the ES is whether the forks have a manual preload adjustment. I'm assuming from your response that the answer is "NO".

Edit..... I think I got confused... the A has a manual preload like prior models. On the '14 the parts diagram shows the upper fork cap, but it is unclear whether it has preload adjustment...... need to consult owner or service manual....... but I intend to ask the Yammy guys at the bike show in a few days. I gots a few questions for them.

If there is no preload adjuster, and you want to set your sag, one would have to do it the old fashioned way.... disassemble fork, add shims, reassemble, check, repeat as necessary.

The owner's manual states:

"The preload of the rear shock absorber and the dampening forces of both the front and rear shock absorbers can be adjusted."

"There are 4 preload settings."

"Changing the preload setting will also adjust the front and rear dampening forces accordingly."

There are no manual suspension adjustments. The preload adjusts the rear only, dampening adjusts front and rear.

I finally got this magazine yesterday and read the article. Here is my take:

1. They made mention of their 2013 "project bike" with Traxxion Dynamic suspension upgrade (same as I've done to my 05) and compared it to the 2014 ES. A couple of things, the ES is a $1000 upgrade and just the rear Penske shock was almost that much for their 2013 project bike and then you have the front fork upgrade cost (albeit prob better components than stock 2014). So for only $1000 the ES model is a bargain and it's elec. adjustable. However the stiffer / taller penske shock & spring gives you more ground / corning clearance which you'll like if your an aggressive canyon carver. I believe they said both setups felt similar, but the myriad of elec. adj. settings at your fingertips of the 2014 ES allowed for better / easier adjustments on the fly.

2. Why anyone would not appreciate the ES suspension component improvements (straight rate springs, inverted forks, push button elec. adjustability...etc) that Yamaha is making available as an "option" is beyond me. If your not interested in easy push button suspension adjustability then don't buy the ES version! That's why you have another choice with the standard version. Sheesh. Its not for everyone, because not everyone has the same riding mindset. But I'll take a bike with more options over a bike with less options any day especially since I myself ride in a wide array of solo, 2up, luggage, no luggage, flat hwy & Mtn twisties scenarios I would def. be one adjusting the suspension if given the option.

3. Overall I think Yamaha has done about the best they could with the 2014 ES model to appeal to those more advanced motorcyclist here in the U.S. while keeping the overall cost down. The amount of options & technology they packed into the 2014 ES for a bike that lists @ $16,890.00 is remarkable to me. There is not another ST out there for that price point that can compare to it. They didn't change what's not broke (Proven 1300cc engine / Trans and reliability) but you have a much updated, sexy machine with legitimate electronics and suspension upgrades.

4. I'm in love! Maybe in another year I'll own one.

Moto mag quotes, some of which 'Roller has read:

With the new inverted fork, Yamaha has put damping on both legs again—the revised fork on the ’13 bike has a cartridge on one side only—with separate functions; one leg adjusts compression damping, the other does rebound. The shock has a single electric adjuster that manages both compression and rebound values.

...So is the physical execution. Yamaha says the suspension is just 1.2 percent stiffer front and rear, but it feels like more. Although the ES isn’t quite as firm as our Project FJR, it’s a useful upgrade in sporting capability without sacrificing any suppleness. Move through the suspension modes and you can feel the legs firming up and the ride becoming more taut. The difference from the softest to firmest settings isn’t as pronounced as it is in the Ducati Multistrada, but it’s a huge upgrade over the non-ES version of the FJR, which went from far too soft to merely just too soft.
2014 ES owners manual first says not to dispose of a worn shock:

Take the shock absorber assembly to a Yamaha dealer for any service.