Motorcyclist Review of 2014 Electronic Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIDER007

Reaction score
Motorcyclist has a fairly comprehensive review/explanation of the 2014 ES in its February 2014 issue. It appears there is one motor used to adjust the shock preload over a 8mm range and three much smaller motors, one in the shock and one in each fork leg, to change damping. The compression and rebound damping cannot be adjusted separately nor can the shock's damping be adjusted independent of the fork's damping. The shock and fork preload are separated since the fork's preload cannot be adjusted.

The spring rates are slightly higher than the non-ES version but its not clear what that means regarding the shock since the manual shock has 2 very different spring rates.

Their overall impression of the ES appeared to be pretty positive, both in execution and value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read that article and I was pleasantly surprised at the positive tone. Marc Cook seems to have a very good feel for the appeal of this type of machine.

4 full pages and a 4.5 star rating made me happy I still subscribe to MotorCyclist. When Brian Catterson was at the helm, I was no fan of this magazine.

Too much complexity.

It will break and leave you stranded.

Just like CDI vs. Points.

Never trust EleKtronIks!

:fuck:

Too much complexity.It will break and leave you stranded.

Just like CDI vs. Points.

Never trust EleKtronIks!

fuck.gif
Oh, you're just jealous.
tonguesmiley.gif

Yes, it is a bit of bling with limitations........ While others might find the ES useful, I can't see where I'd necessarily play with damping on the fly, or can't stop to adjust the preload on my 3-way adjustable shock (I don't), nor do the limitations appeal to me (what if I want a different bunch of settings than they give me), and some of those personal settings require you to be stopped anyway. Again, just for me, I'd get an A and put the $1000 saving into an aftermarket shock, upgrade the forks as necessary for your weight, etc. (still not sure what to think of the A's lack of compression damping in the left fork).

The good news is, for '13 and up, they increased the spring rates all around.

While I generally agree with the KISS philosophy as much as possible, and nobody can vouch for the ES suspension's longevity or reliability (yet), nor its effectiveness. I do see a real place for an adjustable suspension, especially so for a multifaceted bike like the FJR.

There's the obvious 1-up vs 2-up & loaded for bear situation. Even bikes with a rear shock with adjustable preload are a compromise in one mode or the other. If the damping has been setup with a given spring rate and preload and you later change it enough to accommodate an extra passenger and their gear that damping will not be right anymore. Sure you could re-adjust all the clickers and memorize or write down the settings that you find to be best, but what a PITA that is.

But let's say you are a lone wolf, a solo only rider. It would still be desirable to be able to modify your suspension's preload and damping based on the roads you'll be riding on. Soften things up for some bumpy back roads or firm things up for strafing the smooth and tight twisties. It really would be like having several bikes in one package. If they ever get an Electronic suspension package that allows the rider to do that kind of thing and the results are good, I see that as being a pretty popular option. Oh, and it had best be relatively reliable because you know it won't be very cheap to fix.

There wasn't much I liked about the BMW that we toured CA with, but the electronic suspension turned out to be unexpectedly useful. I didn't make suspension adjustments often, but when I did make changes on the fly it made a huge difference helping us enjoy the ride. If the Yamaha ES is equal to the BMW suspension I'm really interested. FWIW, I would say the BMW suspension was the equal of my Wilbers equipped Gen I in both sport and tour modes but I would never have stopped and made the suspension tweaks on my Gen I the way I did with the ES system. With New England's weather ripped roads which also include bomb craters and moguls interspersed by curvy turny bits it would be nice to make adjustments without having to stop and get off trying to find the sweet spot at each change in the road conditions. The BMW headlights were pretty awesome and were directly responsible for not running over several deer.

I'm looking forward to the 2014 ES suspension, so it can be firm in the twisties but instantly set to softer when I hit the slab and expansion joints.

My Honda ST1300 had a pretty decent rear shock with a knob for preload and a screw for rebound damping, but the front end had no adjustment whatsoever for preload or damping. It was ok in the twisties but I got pounded, sometimes for hundreds of miles at a time on the slab.

I'm not doing track days so I think the ES will be just what the doctor ordered for me. May change springs in the future, but will see...

I agree it will be sweet being able to change on the fly, and it is stiffer springs than past, but sounds like it still isn't going to be stiff enough for those of us that want great handling
punk.gif
. So are you still going to send out the forks and shock to get reworked, or can you simply put stiffer springs in all around? Don't know if valveing would be correct if springs rates are changed.

Here we go, bikes just out and already phucking with suspension.

So what about for a guy that's 250lbs? These bikes are setup for an 180lb guy, is the ES worth the money or should I save the coin and just do custom suspension? I could always set the dial to 2 up or 1 up with luggage to compensate for the extra weight from all my muscle mass. I don't ride 2 up so I don't need to worry about that. The advantage of the ES over custom suspension is the ability to change on the fly. Run it in comfy mode for the slab and bump it up to sport for the twisty's.

So what about for a guy that's 250lbs? These bikes are setup for an 180lb guy, is the ES worth the money or should I save the coin and just do custom suspension? I could always set the dial to 2 up or 1 up with luggage to compensate for the extra weight from all my muscle mass. I don't ride 2 up so I don't need to worry about that. The advantage of the ES over custom suspension is the ability to change on the fly. Run it in comfy mode for the slab and bump it up to sport for the twisty's.
That's exactly the reason for owning the ES - easy adjustments on the fly. If you never ride two up buy sometimes ride with and also without luggage, you could set it for 1+luggage for just yourself then 2 only if you have luggage. You then also can adjust you conditions from soft for cruising to standard for curvy roads to hard for twisties and very spirited jaunts!

Good questions! The problem with every OEM suspension is that one size is supposed to fit all and there isn't any shock spring that is going to adequately cover the 150-450 pound load range available on the FJR. Spring rates are the most important suspension component and I think the aftermarket suspension's option to select spring rates specificially for the rider(s) and riding style far outweighs the ES's ability to make minor damping adjustments on the fly. As stated, the OEM spring rates probably are designed for lighter riders so I expect they will get a better result from the ES than heavier or 2-up riders.
My experience with aftermarket suspensions is that once dialed in they work well with all road surfaces and riding conditions, the only time I have felt a need to change the damping is when there is a large temperature change.

Good questions! The problem with every OEM suspension is that one size is supposed to fit all and there isn't any shock spring that is going to adequately cover the 150-450 pound load range available on the FJR. Spring rates are the most important suspension component and I think the aftermarket suspension's option to select spring rates specificially for the rider(s) and riding style far outweighs the ES's ability to make minor damping adjustments on the fly. As stated, the OEM spring rates probably are designed for lighter riders so I expect they will get a better result from the ES than heavier or 2-up riders.
My experience with aftermarket suspensions is that once dialed in they work well with all road surfaces and riding conditions, the only time I have felt a need to change the damping is when there is a large temperature change.

I am going to disagree with you a bit there. I think spring rates are only one aspect of suspension, and not the most important. Though the farther from 'ideal', the harder it is to compensate. I also have enjoyed my aftermarket suspensions, though I have never been able to dial one in so that it works well in all situations. I still find trade-offs between comfort and sport. IOW, you can have one or the other, but not both. Much like for a car.

But it is a wonder as to where the new ES suspension will come in, how adjustable it will be, how well Yamaha's adjustments work, and over what range of loading conditions they work.

I am assuming a quality company like Yamaha hasn't screwed it up. But how well did they nail it the first time out? How much better will it be 4 years from now?

Still, if I can figure out a way to gather the $$$$, I can see a '14 ES in my future......