My first long-distance motorbike travel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grommit

Reaction score
I love traveling for its own sake. Have done a handful of long-distance car travels to various parts of Europe in the past. This was my first attempt of bike travel.

I got a 2003 first generation, blue FJR with over 20K miles on clock (maybe much more, who knows what they do to her odometer at the dealership). As a preventive measure, I changed engine oil and replaced CCT before the ride.

We were riding two up with my wife. Started out from Moscow, Russia early in the morning on April 29-th heading westward. The weather was cloudy, nearly freezing with frequent minor showers all along our way.

In five hours of cautious 250 miles ride along somewhat bumpy and slippery road we reached the border of Russia-Belorus, which you may not even notice as there is no real border control (at least for Russian citizens) there.

From USSR times, Belarus inherited and maintains a high-quality, 400 miles road going all the way across the country. The scenery appears very peaceful - great boundless planes sometimes with deciduous forests here and there, with almost no human settlements along the way. With official speed limit of 75 mph, it has taken about 6 hours to reach the border of Poland.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Once got there, we run into a huge line of cars waiting for border control officers to check papers and search cars for prohibited goods. Despite being obviously dizzy and tired, people in line were still very friendly to bikers moving cars aside and welcoming us to proceed right to the front of the queue.

That was a long day. We made almost 700 miles and needed some rest. So we stayed overnight at a motel in Terespol, Poland and early in the morning continued our ride.

04.jpg

When riding over Poland westward (400 miles), we met two fundamentally different kinds of roads. First leg of the trip (Terespol-Warsaw-Lodz) goes through a chain of very similar looking small towns and villages. It is quite boring to drive though them by car (30 mph speed limit, traffic lights etc.) but to our surprise riding there brings very different sensations. Moving slowly we had time to see details, even to watch people on the streets. Suburban Poland has a distinct smell - it's a mix of farm smells plus burnt coil (used to heat homes).

05.jpg

The other leg goes through a newly build highway (Lodz-Poznan) which is not really interesting to ride. Approaching the German border this highway turns into an ordinary two-lane road which lets us enjoy the surrounding pine tree forests. For some reason, this part of Poland is saturated with various gambling/adult services, oriented, probably to truck drivers. We have spotted a handful of young ladies in bright clothes and short skirts walking here and there at the edge of the forest.

Finally we entered Germany and it took us an hour and a half to reach our hosts at the city of Berlin.

06.jpg

On the other day we went to a suburban town of Potsdam where local bikers has their annual spring gathering (Spanische allee).

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

We spent a great week with our friends in Berlin, then finally set off for home. Just to take [partially] different route on our way back, we went through the city of Lodz, Poland.

15.jpg

The downtown of Lodz is probably a main tourist attraction.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

We spent a night a strange motel, then, going through Terespol, Poland followed our initial route in reverse and in just 600 miles of straight ride safely arrived home.

During this almost 3K miles ride, we had a single technical problem with FJR. Just as we passed the Poland-Belorus border, I noticed an infrequent but strong grinding noise coming from below. Once we got home, I disassembled the suspected u-joint but it turned out to be in good condition. Then I found a lash in right-side front wheel bearing which [i hope] is the real cause of that grinding. I'm still in process of replacing both bearings.

A bit of practical info - on a long run and almost maximum load, my FJR eats 5 to 6 liters per 100 km of gas in average. Gas goes for $3.0 per gallon in Russia, $3.6 in Belorus, $5.3 in Poland and $7.4 in Germany.

Grommit, that sounds like a great ride. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to tour to Russia some day. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Nik.

Nice pics and report Grommit :) Lot of mileage covered on a stock seat it seems :eek: .. good on you both.

Your last two pics .... if I didn't know they could have been in Downtown "anywhere" USA.

I really enjoy these ride reports from other countries ... thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, very nice pictures! Some of these made me feel home sick for Europe. Maybe I can finally make it back next year (for vacation that is!).

Also thanks for throwing the picture of the Jeans Store in there, that's just too darn funny!

That Yamaha Diversion 900 is very nice: never saw one before.

Huge license plates over there: I'm not sure I like them on the side of a "chopper". And that single sided front end on the custom was bizarre! Thanks for posting those.

I loved the report as I've never been over there.

Beemerdons will likely ask you where those ladies of the evening are -- he has the time and means to ride over in Europe and would not want to miss the local sights. :rolleyes:

Nice photos. I hope you post more trip reports. :clapping: :clapping:

Great pictures, thanks!

How common is English spoken? I worked in Russia (Usinsk) in the early '90's and could eventually read some Russian but I see now from the sign I've forgotten most of it. How common is French or any other language?

How common is English spoken? I worked in Russia (Usinsk) in the early '90's and could eventually read some Russian but I see now from the sign I've forgotten most of it. How common is French or any other language?
I'd say, that despite 5-years foreign language classes taught at school to virtually everyone, neither of Latin-based languages are widely spoken in Russia. English is known better than others, though.

Chances to run into an English speaking person on the street is much higher in Moscow and St.Pete than in other Russian cities.

Excellent report, Grommit! You obviously paid close attention in those English classes while in school, because your written command of the language is very good! I envy your abilities...

I greatly enjoyed the chance to drive in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and others when visiting my son who was in the USAF and stationed at Ramstein AFB back in the 80's. I would love the chance to see your part of the world, so thanks for sharing and whetting my appetite!

Excellent rire report grommit! Thanks for taking us along on this awesome adventure! :yahoo:

I like your handle, need to get a pic of Grommit the dog from Wallace & Grommit. ;)

I would also like to thank you for sharing the journey with us!

I was able to see alot of the Orient, as well as Australia, while I was in the Navy. I've also traveled most of the U.S.

One day I plan on a trip to Europe, and would love to see it from the seat of a bike! I've also heard stories of some good fishing in Russia! Maybe someday!