My latest dope-slap moment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We've all had them - those times when you realized you just did something really stupid and you smack your forehead with the palm of your hands and let out your best Homer Simpson DOH!!!

My most recent one came this morning. I rode the FJR to the shop (typically 1/2 hr. away, but with construction it was more like 45 minutes) to have the scheduled valve check done. I am anxious to get this last service item out of the way before I head out for the next 3 weeks to the Great Lakes and Southern Ontario. Got to the shop, dug my registration out from under the seat (she is due for her inspection this month too), left the paperwork with the shop manager and headed home with the missus. It wasn't until I was almost home that I realized I had pocketed my key after pulling the registration out from under the seat. Force of habit, and usually a GOOD habit (better than leaving the key on the bike), but not in this case. My lovely better half offered to drive the key back to the shop so I could try to get some work done today.

So, I know I am not the only one. What sort of dumbass mistakes have you made *(that you are willing to admit)* <_<

I'm currently out of town on business, but was able to ride the 400 miles yesterday to get here.

I knew the exit number where my hotel was as I'd been there before.

Unfortunately, when I got close to the exit number yesterday, things weren't looking "right."

Turns out I was on the wrong damn interstate.

Did an about-face, got stuck in rush-hour traffic in 90-degree weather and, 45 minutes later, actually made it to my hotel.

Yeah - D'OH!!

Last week while out riding with my wife we were in traffic in a construction zone. There was no construction going on and I decided to be cool and weave in and out of the cones. I ended up smacking one of the cones with my sidebag and put a few marks on my bag. Luckily most of it rubbed off but if you look close you can see scratches.

Yes I felt like an idiot :blink:

Rode all the way to work then realized I forgot my helmet? :unsure:
Haha, every now and then I'll get everything together, walk out to the bike and fire it up only to realize my helmet is still in the house. Glad I haven't actually ridden anywhere without it though :rolleyes:

We had meetings planned with a bigger fish (company) that was looking to buy our smaller fish (company). I awoke on that Monday only to realize I was running late. I rushed into work to find an empty parking lot. Pulled out my cell phone and discovered it was Sunday!

I now wish that I hadn't gone in on Monday either. The bigger fish (The Conference Board) bought us, and the company I worked for (Informa) immediately closed the part the bigger fish wasn't interested in, terminating 75 percent of the workforce, including me. We received word on 7/22 and most of us were gone on 7/23. Anyone need an employment law attorney (that would be me)?

I won't admit to any of the real good ones, but how many times have you put on your gloves before fastening the helmet? Or gotten yourself all geared up and realized your key was still in your pants pocket? Who, me? Couple million or so. :rolleyes:

I won't admit to any of the real good ones, but how many times have you put on your gloves before fastening the helmet? Or gotten yourself all geared up and realized your key was still in your pants pocket? Who, me? Couple million or so. :rolleyes:
oh man
yes.gif

I've put my sunglasses on top of the trunk, and that's where they stayed till probably 30mph when they committed suicide
slap.gif

yes, I carry a couple spare pairs...ah, well, ah, for my riding buddies who need some on the road...<yeah, that's it>

btw, there are good sun block glasses on the internet that are like $5 safety glasses...um, I purchase them by the dozen

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dewalt-radius.html

and then there's the moments of inattention or interruption at exactly the wrong moment when I end up pulling away with my chin strap unfastened
slap.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done most of the above. Never ridden to work without my helmet though. That one takes the cake. Luckily all of my screw ups to this point fall under the "no blood, no foul" rule.

We've all had them - those times when you realized you just did something really stupid and you smack your forehead with the palm of your hands and let out your best Homer Simpson DOH!!!
My most recent one came this morning. I rode the FJR to the shop (typically 1/2 hr. away, but with construction it was more like 45 minutes) to have the scheduled valve check done. I am anxious to get this last service item out of the way before I head out for the next 3 weeks to the Great Lakes and Southern Ontario. Got to the shop, dug my registration out from under the seat (she is due for her inspection this month too), left the paperwork with the shop manager and headed home with the missus. It wasn't until I was almost home that I realized I had pocketed my key after pulling the registration out from under the seat. Force of habit, and usually a GOOD habit (better than leaving the key on the bike), but not in this case. My lovely better half offered to drive the key back to the shop so I could try to get some work done today.

So, I know I am not the only one. What sort of dumbass mistakes have you made *(that you are willing to admit)* <_<
One of my moments can be read here DOPE SLAP MOMENT

and the cure for this dope slap moment here CLICK FOR THE CURE

While the FJR not as suspectible, still employ method used in 2nd click

Last edited by a moderator:
I now wish that I hadn't gone in on Monday either. The bigger fish (The Conference Board) bought us, and the company I worked for (Informa) immediately closed the part the bigger fish wasn't interested in, terminating 75 percent of the workforce, including me. We received word on 7/22 and most of us were gone on 7/23. Anyone need an employment law attorney (that would be me)?
Better than the time $WORKPLACE laid off 123 out of 130 in an afternoon, including me. The "dope slap" moment was when my ex-boss decided to keep working for free, certain that the company would turn around and pay him all his back pay.

Nope. Idiot worked another 11 months for free, not doing any job searches in the meantime. DOH!

Of course, management decisions like that was why it went out of business in the first place...

Good luck with the job hunt.

After riding for 4+ hours in solid rain, I took a rest at a service area. After the rain eased, I saddled up, filled the tank, put on the helmet and gloves and headed home. Must have been a bit fatigued, because three hours later, I pulled in the driveway, shut down, and discovered that I never actually fastened the helmet...

About 30 minutes ago I got home and put in the key to my LH side bag. The lock cylinder came out neat as you please, attached to the key, leaving the metal latch plate from the back of the lock mechanism, sitting on top of the bag under the latch handle. The screws were still there, under the plate, poking up at me. I had neglected to use Loctite on them as recommended in the Bin O' Facts. Nice and dry and shiny, no evidence of any Loctite.

The other bag's latch plate screws were only finger tight, and I could remove them by holding the #10 security Torx bit in my fingers. Also no Loctite used by me or the factory.

I remember using Loctite on the screws on the trunk latch when I got my trunk, but obviously I overlooked the side bags. Lucky for me no parts were lost and no bags came off. I made sure the trunk latch was OK by removing and reapplying Loctite to those screws also, just to be safe.

My bike is an '07, too lazy now to look at the BOF but no matter what year your bike is, it MIGHT be a good idea to make sure you have some Loctite on those screws.

Well, I've had a FEW, but my last one was, spooned on a set of tires. After I was done bolting the front wheel back on, I realized that I forgot to balance it.... :angry: