Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no clue other than it's in the western half of the northern hemisphere and perhaps Canada guessing by the line those riders are taking.   😉
Definitely not Canada. I think those Harley riders were doing their best just to make the corners at all.  Don't let the foreground throw you as to location. The background is more indicative of the area.

I have no clue other than it's in the western half of the northern hemisphere and perhaps Canada guessing by the line those riders are taking.   😉
Tough to say, since some are on the left of the center line and some on the right.  Unless it's a one-way road.  Wouldn't mind taking it though.  Reminds me of the Stelvio Pass in Italy.  The road, anyway.  A little.

47637982-serpentine-mountain-road-in-italian-alps-stelvio-pass-passo-dello-stelvio-stelvio-natural-park.jpg

Tough to say, since some are on the left of the center line and some on the right.  Unless it's a one-way road.  Wouldn't mind taking it though.  Reminds me of the Stelvio Pass in Italy.  The road, anyway.  A little.
It's nowhere as exciting as Stelvio, I'm sure. Still nice scenery, though. I am 100% sure many of you have been here. I've thought through lots of hints that would help, but I think I'll just add pics until somebody gets it. I've got a LOT of pictures from the time I took the FJR up this road. 

I'm not too good at the internet search thing.

I think that is a road in Idaho that they call "The Curves".  I remember seeing that when I was researching a trip up there in 2019.  I think the road starts with an "R" - like "Rowenda" or something like that.

(sigh) my memory ain't what it used to be....

I'm not too good at the internet search thing.

I think that is a road in Idaho that they call "The Curves".  I remember seeing that when I was researching a trip up there in 2019.  I think the road starts with an "R" - like "Rowenda" or something like that.

(sigh) my memory ain't what it used to be....
Not in Idaho, Pants. You have been here. I think the picture angle is misleading everyone.

Then it's got to be the Million Dollar Highway - Colorado 550?  That's the only place I've been that looks like those pictures.

Sorry, Pants. Not Colorado either.

Ok, bringing out the big guns now. This one and one more then I start giving big hints. I'm kind of sorry this threw everybody. Kinda, but not really :)

Not Montana. Not even west of Mississippi River. My wife says you guys know it and are just messing with me.  Did you see the bridge in that last one?

By the way, Grandfather Mountain has a great view and the mile high swinging bridge is interesting. It’s annoying that they charge $20 or more and now during Covid you have to reserve a time in advance to go up. If I remember right, we had to sign a waiver to take the bike up that curvy road. Some of the large cruisers were really struggling with it. We went by it again last year and had to skip it because of the reservation thing. 

Those first pictures did not look like Grandfather Mountain, but looked a LOT like the San Juan Mtns.  Really threw me off.  Of course, I've been (more than twice) to the EXACT location of the last picture, but Duane beat me to it.  The road in the pictures was the ACTUAL road/driveway that leads up to the swinging bridge, correct?  Not the BRP?

That place in the fall is spectacular.  I've hit the peak color there and will never forget it.  The $20 entry fee (Grandfather Mtn is privately owned) is well worth the price.

Hey - I resemble that remark.  I know this place well, will let someone else identify the place and the hooligans.

Those first pictures did not look like Grandfather Mountain, but looked a LOT like the San Juan Mtns.  Really threw me off.  Of course, I've been (more than twice) to the EXACT location of the last picture, but Duane beat me to it.  The road in the pictures was the ACTUAL road/driveway that leads up to the swinging bridge, correct?  Not the BRP?

That place in the fall is spectacular.  I've hit the peak color there and will never forget it.  The $20 entry fee (Grandfather Mtn is privately owned) is well worth the price.
Yes, that was the actual road. I stood on that side and watched the Harleys scrape as they went up and down.

Maybe this puts the pieces together a little:

All these pics are from when we were there in April 2013. I'll bet it would've been pretty when we drove right by it on 221 in October last year as the leaves were peak all around. 

And here's a snapshot of the satellite view from Google Maps of that section of the road to orient you.