Need GPX file from Open Road Journey put on Garmin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradman

When Life Throws You A Curve..... Lean Into It
Reaction score
I loaded some files from Open Road Journey in GPX to my Garmin and my Garmin will not read them. My Garmin is a 2455 and has the Trip Planner. I have tried using the 8 gig micro card and I am at the end of my rope. Does anyone have any suggestions?

These maps that are from Open Road have outstanding maps that I could ride if my Garmin would accept them.

Any help would be greatly accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you out. Glitches in Garmin's software has kicked my ass for the last time. Good hardware, crappy software and support.

Have you tried loading the file directly to the Garmin without the card installed? Is it possible you have a faulty card?

You could try to load the file onto the card via a card reader. (take the card out of Garmin).

Are you sure it is a GPX and not some other format?

There's lots of things that COULD be the problem.

Question- you downloaded the files to the Garmin. Did you import the files in the Garmin? Garmin routing kicked my ass for quite some time until I got help from others, too.

I ask b/c this is what has to be done with my nuvi. Perhaps if you provide step-by-step detailed info of exactly what you're doing and how you're doing it instead of such generic info we could provide a little better assistance.

Okay, I went on Open Road Journey and found some local rides that I was interested in. I Didn't have enough memory on either of my Garmins, so I bought a 8GB card for my 2455 Nuvi. I set up my account with ORJ and downloaded the rides onto the GPS, these were GPX files. I tried saving it different places and found that it would not open anywhere. I've since read that there is a "conversion" that needs to be made for the GPX to work correctly. Since then, I've tried it everywhere with all kinds of stuff. My first Nuvi was a 1940 that I tried and I spoke with Garmin about it. They showed me a way to download information to their system then back to my system, but that didn't work either. For that Nuvi or either of the other two.

Looking for help, thanks for your interest and taking time to hear my problem out.

Brad

You can download "eastgps". Its a free program for opening GPX files and you can use it to send the file to the Garmin.

I create my routes using MS Steets and trips and save them to my PC as a GPX. Then I use "EASYGPS" to send them to my Garmin 665. Im sure there are more ways than this to skin the cat but this works for me for now.

First, use a direct USB port, not a hub. Second, does this thing even accept routes (a lot of Nuvi's don't) or are you restricted to only those you create with the unit itself? Third, you might need to pre-convert the route to Garmin .gpd format. You can use BaseCamp or Mapsource, by importing the route into the software then exporting to your device (if it accepts downloaded routes).

If the nuvi accepts routes, the easiest way to transfer the routes to the GPS is to open them in either Mapsource or Basecamp and then use the transfer utility in there. That also lets you inspect the routes and make sure they work well with whatever the current version of maps you are running. Of course you need to have Mapsource or Basecamp and the maps have to be installed on your PC. If you are an Apple user you're pretty much screwed there.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try these out tonight to see if my unit is compatible.

Update:

I didn't want you guys to think that I had forgotten the good information that I received here. Firstly, I realized that I am an idiot. Then the Garmin Support Staff didn't know what they were talking about on three different occasions. Garmin is certain that this model that I have, the 2455lmt is one that will accept other routes. I have tried all the software that you guys have offered and all of it worked perfectly, until I tried to put the route into my GPX file. Then nothing. I just don't have that capability in my device. It has a "Trip Planner" and that's it. So I can and will make some of my own maps, but that's it.

This research has taught me that I want a Zumo, an older model like a 350lM. I'm going to keep working on this one to see what I can do, I don't have the money to buy a new one at this point. I don't need a 650 or 660 because it will cause problems with my Iphone 4S.

Thanks again to each of you for the very good advice and information. It was on the money, my device is just not designed to accept the routes and I'm going to have to use the trip planner to add a couple of rides in it.

Thank you again.

Brad,

First off, I don't think the zumo 350LM is an older model. In fact, I think it t is actually a newer model than the zumo 6XX models (and less capable, but that is a topic for another discussion)

I would encourage you to instead look for a nice used zumo 550. It is still the best motorcycle specific unit that Garmin has produced to date, IMO. No, the 550 doesn't have stereo bluetooth streaming, if that was a concern, but it does everything else you could want from a GPS and accepts and run routes like nobody's business. I actually own two of these GPSes (one on my bike, one on my son's) after I bought and tried a zumo 660 and was very disappointed.

A 550 with XM antenna just recently sold for $300 on this forum. That is the price point and feature set that I'd be looking at if I were you.

An alternative option would be to go with a nuvi 765T, which is an automotive GPS (read: not waterproof) but has most of the other features of a zumo 660. It would mean playing the "baggie game" for water protection, but the price is typically a bit lower that the 550. The only knocks on that model (in addition to the weather non-resistance) are that the screen is not as bright in daylight, and the bluetooth is A2DP only, which means that any phone that you pair with it will not come through the GPS bluetooth output. But the music and GPS prompts are in A2DP stereo, and it does run routes pretty much the same as a zumo 6XX.

Thank you Fred, I'm going to look into these options and see what I can find.

Thanks again

Another option is the Zumo 220, which has the same screen size as a 550, however is BT only connection (no audio out jack), touch screen controls only, no mp3 player, no XM radio. The 220 is waterproof as is the whole Zumo line-up.

I use a Sena on my helmet and love it with my Iphone 4S. I want a GPS that will give me information via bluetooth but not interfere with my music or incoming/outgoing calls.

I've just found a 550 for $300 on the internet. I haven't seen it yet and it only comes with the USB cord and unit. The maps are from 2009. Do these units update themselves online for free or will I have to pay to get the map updated.

Well done, we sucked him in nicely. Somehow the OP went from loading a file to buying a new gps. If only I had such skill when bargaining with the wife.

Nothing from Garmin is free. You have to pay for updates.

Latest posts