Need some help on Baja Adventure Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
So a year from now, I have a milestone birthday, and typically these involve inviting lots of people from your past to surprise you. Not for me - I want to take charge of making my milestone a memorable one.

What I want to do is something I wished I'd done with Don Stanley when he was around - ride into Baja, preferably as far as Cabo San Lucas, and preferably mostly away the main highways. I may be able to talk a few close PNW mates and some others to join - the ideal riding crew would be about 7-8 people. I'd meet my wife and family down in Cabo at trip's end. I've got two bikes that would be ok - a Husky TE310 and a KTM 1190R, but getting down and back from the PNW would add an extra week. I'd rather fly in, rent a 650 sized bike, and have an experienced tour guide take the crew down a memorable route, with a chase vehicle hauling our luggage to various places to stay. Maybe 6-7 days down, and 250 miles a day max.

I've looked online and it seems that everyone is an adventure bike tour leader. Anyone have experience with riding into Baja and doing a guided tour?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fun Dave, I some how got on Motoquest mailing list and they do both. Don't know how spendy they are but take a look.

I read about the tours and do a little dreaming!

https://www.motoquest.com/

Hudson, I'm sure Fontanaman will see this, but should reach out to him anyhow. He'll have a few ideas for this adventure based on his recent (washed out) trip south of the border.

Sounds like a great trip!

--G

Sounds like a real Adventure, one I'd be interested in as well.

I'm following and as committed as the Chicken is to Breakfast, JSNS

I will try to second what big John said!
punk.gif

Subscribed!!

I always read Don's trip plans and wished I could be a part of them. That is until the washed out trip in Mexico.
weirdsmiley.gif

Call Skip Mascorro at Motorcycle Discovery Tours: https://www.motodiscovery.com/Our-History.

This is who Don booked all his off-off-road Mexico trips through. He has the rentals or you can take your own. I'm not sure if he goes to Baja or not, but if he doesn't, he will know who does.

I've called him before. He's a hellavua nice guy. Call him. You'll get all the info and help you need.

If you're inviting, I'll shoot for this trip. I'll plan on taking my KTM530, unless it's just too dirt oriented for the ride. Then, I'll have to use one of Skip''s bikes. Either way, it will be cool!

HuddieBear, I'm your guy. Never been there. Never done that. Yet I am fearless. What could possibly go wrong?

..on second thought....

I have a 1987 ATK powered by XR600 Honda... Yeah, Baby.. just maybe. Just Maybe.

Got a fresh motor from Ray at the ready...

So coolio..

Hudson, I'm sure Fontanaman will see this, but should reach out to him anyhow. He'll have a few ideas for this adventure based on his recent (washed out) trip south of the border.
Sounds like a great trip!

--G
--G's right I did read it. I have been in Mexico twice on a motorcycle. In 2007 I road to Copper Canyon from Seattle, solo, not what I planned but things sometimes don't work to plan. It was a great trip. I didn't know a lick of Spanish and the biggest obstacle was being utterly alone for about 6 days. It was nice to get back to the US where I could speak with people on the road.

I did a lot research for this ride. I bought books and read as much as I could get my hands on covering everything from crossing the border, bike insurance, medical evac insurance and how to travel safely in Mexico. The three things you must not do in Mexico is, 1) Do not ride at night. 2) Do not ride at night. 3) Do not ride at night. Next do not be a loud mouth American showing off your dollars in bar. Keep a low profile. Cross the border first thing in the morning and make your first day 100 miles south of the border to get out of the increased zone of danger.

In 2014 I went on a guided motorcycle adventure. Show up with gear and go. I rented DR650. The idea was to go with Don Stanley and see Mexico through his eyes. Don crashed a month or so before the ride and was unable to join us. The ride was a bust because of unusually wet and cold weather. The guides helped a lot with their local knowledge of hotels, diners and sites to see. Would not do a guided ride again though cause you are locked in to the date regardless of the weather. The weather was so foul Russ Perry left mid trip back to the USA - not a bad move overall.

I'd plan on 250 miles days tops because the roads in Mexico are a crap shoot. A big bike like the FJR is a waste. If you can get a mid weight Dual Sport bike. A 650 Vstrom would be great.

There are books on riding Baja. Get one and read it. Find a a bud or two you want to go with and have a grand time. Someone in the group should know bit of Spanish.

And don't go on questionable tires!
smile.png

When we went down in 2012, it was 3 1/2days Phoenix to Cabo. Stayed on hwy 1, no dirt. First night in Ensenada, second in Bahai Los Angeles, third in Loreto. Papa Chuey was a great leader and had a great feel for the area. When I go back, I'll take longer and wander more and definitely on an adventure bike. Good luck, I'm jealous.

Since I rode the Alps with Don and some other FJR/AZBeemers folks in '12, I've been getting brochures and stuff from Eidelweiss ever since. Our trip was great and he used them for quite a few trips. A few weeks ago they sent me a new catalog for the 2017 season and they run tours all over the world--even California. I didn't memorize the catalog, but it would be easy enough to find out if they're running anything down south for the time period you're looking at, and they take care of everything. Beautifully. Another good option to think about. And enjoy your milestone. Better than a kidney stone any day. ;)

Edit 3/6/17.

Lurking.

Doing a self guided circumnavigation of Baja in 2018.

Make that 2019, the wife wants some marriage time. What's up with that? 😒

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="UberKul" data-cid="1350231" data-time="1482247857"><p>

Lurking.<br />

Doing a self guided circumnavigation of Baja in 2018.</p></blockquote>

Damn I read that as a "Self Guided Circumcision " and spit coffee all over my damn phone.

All good stuff here, thanks guys. Still leaning towards the bike rental option, as it would be great to have any issues be someone else's problem! Found out that Malcom Smith does a 1400 mile guided trip, or at least his son Alex does, but damn is it pricey ($5k)

Guided trips are a juevo. However, they have contacts built in with guides, support, luggage shuttle and amenities. Hopefully you get what you pay for. Also, renting their bike adds anywhere from $800 to $1600, which, to me is not chump change!

Not to derail, but is Mexico finally getting over the safety concerns? I've thought about riding down there solo, but in years past thought it might be risky. This year, contrary to nearly all advice i received, i walked into Juarez and spent an afternoon wandering around. I saw a grand total of zero other gringos, including walking back into the US through customs (hundreds of people w/Mexican ID's, one with a blue passport (me)). I ate some great food and had some cheap coronas. Locals seemed happy to see me there. I do speak Spanish fluently. I want to go back.

Spud, the "worst" parts of Mexico are the border towns. Lots of shady dipshits dying to take advantage of clueless tourists. Travel into these towns has decreased significantly; however, if one doesn't flash money, or look to start problems, 99% of the time, there are no issues. The other 1% of people with issues have REAL issues. It's not the US, with US law enforcement, and laws are different. I am not surprised you had fun and people seemed glad to see you. Most of them need the money. I'm sure there were more Americans there than you saw. A bunch of El Paso residents work in Juarez, or used to. Maybe that's changed some.

Since most of my family is in Mexico City, we've driven through Mexico more times than I can remember. Almost had a small problem one time, due to my dad not listening to his brilliant sons, but that's it. As much as people talk, the shenanigans with tourists are very few.

As you get into the lower states, there are LOTS of federal police just about everywhere you look. They are there, specifically to help promote tourist safety. Anyone CAUGHT fucking with a tourist will be in a world of shit. Of course, they have to care, and they have to get caught, so don't be dumb.

Speaking Spanish also helps immensely.

Good info HRZ. Thinking I'd still be nervous riding the bike w/all my travel belongings in vs. just walking in like I did in Juarez (took nothing but a passport and some mexican $). I've been tempted though to ride to Ensenada as I could get there on day 2 from home, then over to Rocky Point for day 3, then back up. I may do that this summer. Apologize if this is high-jack, but at least I'm now discussing Baja....