NEP Throttle Lock photos on line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, but if you saw how cool they operated you would understand.
Nah... if I saw a BOM and it referenced aircraft grade titanium and composite materials, along with MEMS technology, it would make more sense, but it's still a glorified freakin C Clamp for heaven's sake.... and this is coming from another engineer who knows and loves Rube Goldberg like he was an uncle.

What exactly do you do for a throttle lock if you have heated grips? Throttlemeister? I bought the NEP and did the mod as Fred had done and THEN figured out that the grip wire is in the way. Also, do these things actually lock into place as the name suggests or do you have to apply pressure with your thumb to keep them locked. I was under the assumption that it snapped shut and popped open when you backed off the throttle.

With some questions about the zip tie method...

Pic0006.jpg

No, the throttle lock does not automatically release. I don't think any of them do that. You have to manually lock and unlock them.

Little help here -- I'm a bonehead, or something ain't right.

'06 FJR AE

I got the NEP CC-3, and it doesn't seem to fit.

I measured the maximum inside diameter of the hole (uninstalled) and get about 1.035"

I can't really get a good OD on the throttle handle sleeve, but it's about 1.25". Does the AE have a larger diameter sleeve? Wrong item in CC-3 bag? what's up?

A long deserved followup to my NEP difficulty. The space between the grip adn the throttle assy at the handle was too tight. I used the compressed air method to remove the grip, installed the throttle lock, and then re-installed the grip without modification and it works great. I'd post pics, but they'd look almost exactly like Fred's that are posted earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred and FJRFENCER thanks for the pics and info. Installed the NEP today with the zip tie (don't have safety wire yet)...works like a charm (on the best and fastest color blue, '05) :D

I found that by making the ground off portion (where the tab sticks out when new) a little bit concave the NEP was able to align straight up and down, since it then fit the convex curve of the cable housing tighter. Prior to this the bottom of the NEP curved a little bit to the outboard side and it bound the grip. Also, figured out (from your pics and a trial with error) that the factory plastic "washer" that is on the inboard side of the grip needs to be on the outboard side of the NEP or too much friction...

Thanks again,

Toophast

Could someone post a pic of the zip tie configuration (I know its a bit hard to take a pic of this) as well as a side view. I am still having trouble with the end of the grip phlange rubbing against the NEP and can't see how you can get away with installing without modifying/cutting it.

FantasticJohnR said:
Could someone post a pic of the zip tie configuration (I know its a bit hard to take a pic of this) as well as a side view. I am still having trouble with the end of the grip phlange rubbing against the NEP and can't see how you can get away with installing without modifying/cutting it.

ooops, should have read through all of the posts :eek: The picture is found 3 posts above this one- My bad!

I have the breakaway throttle lock. Yes it cost too much but it's all metal, it looks good, and using the front brake lever automatically unlocks the throttle.

I have the breakaway throttle lock. Yes it cost too much but it's all metal, it looks good, and using the front brake lever automatically unlocks the throttle.

+1 ... I think this is the way I will go, I don't want all the install hassle with electronics of "the real cruise control", besides it's only money, not like you can take it with you ... do you have the G2 throttle tube Tom? I was curious if there were any potential issues as their website specifically states "stock throttle tube" I believe.

The NEP works, but IMO it's a bit on the large size and it's a pinch more obtrusive then it needs to be.

The tried-n-true Vista Cruise has been a big favorite on the FJR since the bike arrive 4 years ago:

And it definitely makes for a much cleaner install... almost looks like a factory item!

grip2.jpg
+1

grips04.jpg

why didn't someone warn me this was a zombie thread from 2006?

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the Vista Cruise on my old bike, and the NEP looks great too.

I like the idea of these far better than the idea of screwing and unscrewing a bar end type cruise.

(That being said, I have no experience with those, so could be completely wrong...and if you guys say just go with that.. I will.)

But...

I have a 2012 with factory heated grips...and it looks like the power cunductors are encased in the grip rubber all the way into the throttle housing (and then through the "pulley" part of the throttle tube).

I worry, that if i install one of the either the NEP or the Vista Cruise, which both squeeze on the throttle tube.. if i will crush, or eventually wear through the grip rubber damaging the heated grip power conductors (I'd say wires..but i don't know that they are...they could be flat bits of copper strip or something...)

Has anyone put one of these "clamp type" throttle locks on a 2012 ?

I loved the Vista Cruise on my old bike, and the NEP looks great too.
I like the idea of these far better than the idea of screwing and unscrewing a bar end type cruise.

(That being said, I have no experience with those, so could be completely wrong...and if you guys say just go with that.. I will.)

But...

I have a 2012 with factory heated grips...and it looks like the power cunductors are encased in the grip rubber all the way into the throttle housing (and then through the "pulley" part of the throttle tube).

I worry, that if i install one of the either the NEP or the Vista Cruise, which both squeeze on the throttle tube.. if i will crush, or eventually wear through the grip rubber damaging the heated grip power conductors (I'd say wires..but i don't know that they are...they could be flat bits of copper strip or something...)

Has anyone put one of these "clamp type" throttle locks on a 2012 ?
Same worry here this is why I bought the Kaoko Throttle Control.
smile.png

https://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventure/Blog/mtnGLk/Now-Available-Kaoko-Throttle-Locks?sid=qzwkicni

Is that Kaoko in any way functionally superior to Throttlemeister? I've just never been able to make peace with the latter. My itsy-bitsy widdle hands just aren't designed for the range of motion required.

I have the Kaoko too. I never had the Throttlemeister but from what I recall they work the same.

Kaoko is smaller and blends with the look of the FJR. It doesn't have a left bar match or any weight for vibration dampening. It has a knurled ring to tighten. A roll or two with the pinky while holding the throttle steady will set your speed. Reverse the ring roll or roll off the throttle to releases it. Braking won't do it...but I only use it on the wide-open slabs.

Am I correct in understanding that the Kaoko releases when you roll off the throttle?

If so does anyone who has the Kaoko find this inconveinient?

With the Vista Cruise i had on my last bike, i used to make occasional small adjustments, both in the open and closed direction, would small adjustments in the closed direction release the throttle? Or is it a non-issue?

I had the BrakeAway on my Burgman 650 and loved it. I would have the BrakeAway on my FJR, but it apparently doesn't work with heated grips. I opted for the Kaoko instead because of the "grip" notches. Makes it easier to lock it on and off. Having said that, it doesn't work as well as the BrakeAway.

bwv,

When I said "roll off the throttle" I'm meaning manually rolling it off to reduce the RPMs, otherwise it will do it's job and hold it's position by placing pressure on the end of the throttle grip, thereby allowing you to shake the blood back into your hand, scratch, or whatever. When you "release" it or disengage it by rolling off the throttle RPMs, it will be because you are ready to hold the throttle control again or some change in traffic conditions popped up mandating your need to literaly "get-a-grip".

As far as making small adjustments...if you want more or less "gas" then grip and twist the Kaoko and throttle at the same time.

The weight is basically the same as OEM. It is light weight and well made. Best to look at the link to read up on it. Might even be a 'tube video on it.

Hope this helps.

bwv,When I said "roll off the throttle" I'm meaning manually rolling it off to reduce the RPMs, otherwise it will do it's job and hold it's position by placing pressure on the end of the throttle grip, thereby allowing you to shake the blood back into your hand, scratch, or whatever. When you "release" it or disengage it by rolling off the throttle RPMs, it will be because you are ready to hold the throttle control again or some change in traffic conditions popped up mandating your need to literaly "get-a-grip".

As far as making small adjustments...if you want more or less "gas" then grip and twist the Kaoko and throttle at the same time.

The weight is basically the same as OEM. It is light weight and well made. Best to look at the link to read up on it. Might even be a 'tube video on it.

Hope this helps.