NEP Throttle Lock photos on line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any opinions on contrasting the Vista cruise with the NEP?
I have the Vista on the FJR and the NEP on my SV650. I much prefer the ergos of the Vista in that the locking lever is a lot easier to deploy and release. Aside from the ergos, when adjusted properly, both work about as well. Changing over to the Vista on the SV is on my to-do list.

I had a NEP on my VFR and had to scrape a little material from the areas that clamp around the throttle tube, it was too tight when I put it on and had the adjusting screw all the way out. That could be your issue. CAUTION: only scrape a little away at a time, then put it back on and test it.

Thank you Worldbound. Any chance you could do an exacto-knife type alteration of the grip to make the space bigger (effectivly moving the grip more distal)?
I had considered this option, but I do not wish to have a hacked up look on my grip. Still considering it though. I also am leaning towards the vista option if I do have to cut the grip a bit. I prefer lock lever just behind the grip instead of on top of it (ergo's look more appropriate). I was hoping to get away with the NEP without having to cut up the bike.

Guys, Guys, Guys,

I have a solution for you!!

I just installed a Sport "Cam-Lock" on my 06. It is made of billet

aluminum and black anodized to match the FJR controls.

Installs very easy and no Mickey Mouse mods required.

I also bought one for my Mean Streak.

Visit the site and check it out!!

www.madcorider.com and find: Sport Cam-Lock

Any questions let me know.

Guys, Guys, Guys,

I just installed a Sport "Cam-Lock" on my 06.

Questions? Where the hell are piccies of your install?

You can't make a post like this without photos...........it's just not allowed. :blink:

From their website, I don't see where the lever or whatever it is you use to engage the throttle lock.

We need piccies!

Nice pictures Fred.

I have been stalling on a throttle lock, but now I am thinking of getting the NEP because of your post.

Based on Fred's report, I purchased and installed the NEP throttle lock. I zip tied it and it works perfectly. I have a Viisa Cruise on my klr and it too works fine. I just wanted an easy install on the fjr so I went with the NEP. All I did was cut off the tab and it was a perfect fit with the zip tie (no drilling).

Thanks all for the information.

BMort

OK - based on Freds excellent pictures, and the other comments, my NEP arrived today. Now; at the risk of sounding like a moronic fng -- how or where are you guys using the Ziptie's and safety wire on this rascal?? :huh: Haven't taken it out of the package yet or looked at it up close -- maybe it will be "obvious" -- but any enlightment would be appreciated! :rolleyes: Jay

I didn't understand where everyone was zip tieing either until I placed the throttle lock into position (after using dremel to remove tab}. You will immediately see the tie will go around the bottom of the unit (see Fred's photo where he secured via the screw). The tie will simply keep the unit from rotating when you twist the throttle open.

BMort

Guys, Guys, Guys,

You can't make a post like this without photos...........it's just not allowed. :blink:

From their website, I don't see where the lever or whatever it is you use to engage the throttle lock.

We need piccies!
OK - tweaked my interest enough to call Madco. Bill is one helluva nice guy. Sounds like he's a one man shop as he simply answered the phone with 'hello'.

Skooter, the thumb lock is approximately the same as a Vista Cruise. Bill says he's a better machinist than web guru. :) I ordered one today, Bill said it would be in the mail this afternoon. He doesn't take CC but will simply send it if you promise to complete the order form on the web, mail it and a check to him.

It requires no drilling, tapping, or ty-wraps. Bill said it has two pins that bracket the throttle housing to keep it from rotating. You do have to remove the grip (wow, that's hard) and Bill makes a spacer to extend the bar length by ~1/2 so that the stock bar enders work.

I'll post up when installed with piccies.

Guys, Guys, Guys,

We need piccies!
+1

I hate my Throttlemeister and I'd like to go back to something like the Vistacruise that I had on my last bike. The cam-lok is interesting but not worth $90 given the crappy pictures on the website. I'd like to see your setup.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
The NEP works, but IMO it's a bit on the large size and it's a pinch more obtrusive then it needs to be.

The tried-n-true Vista Cruise has been a big favorite on the FJR since the bike arrive 4 years ago:

FJRTech: Installing the Vista Cruise throttle lock

And it definitely makes for a much cleaner install... almost looks like a factory item!

grip2.jpg

The tried-n-true Vista Cruise has been a big favorite on the FJR since the bike arrive 4 years ago
Both are good solutions. The main advantage the NEP has over the Vista Cruise is that you don't have to cut the throttle grips up to install it. It also is cheaper. The Vista Cruise is a bit more robust than the NEP. Whatever works.

There is a new company out that makes a REALLY nice looking aluminum throttle lock for the FJR, but it is pretty pricey (~ $200 or so)

https://www.brakeawayproducts.com/appguide-6CB02.html

If money is no object, this is the one you want.

The main advantage the NEP has over the Vista Cruise is that you don't have to cut the throttle grips up to install it.
It is NOT necessary to cut the stock Yamaha grip to install a Vista Cruise. I modified my Vista with a Dremel (cylindrical grinding stone) to gain the 3/32nds clearance for the grip. Works fine.

[There is a new company out that makes a REALLY nice looking aluminum throttle lock for the FJR, but it is pretty pricey (~ $200 or so)
Good Lord... $209 for a throttle lock?????!?!?!?!?! Think I'd get an Audiovox/real cruise control for that amount.... :blink:

And Snowmonkey is right... I didn't modify my BMW grips any to get my Vista to work... it looks just like the photo above.

Good Lord... $209 for a throttle lock?????!?!?!?!?! Think I'd get an Audiovox/real cruise control for that amount.... :blink:
And Snowmonkey is right... I didn't modify my BMW grips any to get my Vista to work... it looks just like the photo above.
Yea, but if you saw how cool they operated you would understand.

I was under the impression that the Vista Cruise reqiured cutting the grips down. I guess I stand corrected. If I had known it could be installed without modification of the grips, I might have chosen it over the NEP, but so far I am perfectly happy with the operation of my $15 NEP. It does what it is supposed to with no fuss.

I also have the NEP (stole it from the VFR) but what I did on the FJR is install it backwards, a) because it was getting in the way of the on/off switch, and B) because for some reason it was too tight the 'normal' way. At first it felt awkward (engaging is more awkward than releasing), but for as often as I use it, it works great. As always, ymmv...

Vista-Cruise fan here. Tried an NEP once and didn't like it for the reasons WC gave above.

And for even another install option, clicky on the linky for my no-drill, no-ziptie, no mod whatsoever Vista Cruise installation.

Clicky Here