NERDS 2015?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Is anything being considered for this year or is the event being allowed to expire in dignity? (Or in as much dignity as it ever had)

I'm not close enough to do anything in the way of getting things going but close enough to attend (convenient!).

If no NERDS, is there anything formal (or informal) going on in the way of FJR gatherings in the Northeast? I think I am headed down toward NH this weekend for a couple of days of camping and relaxed riding if the weather gods smile upon me. I would make a return trip to New England (or upstate NY) in August if there is a get together.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe NERDS is at least in hibernation. I agree it was a great get-together, but even the simplest ones require a lot of work(time) to put together. I'm sure Fred will be along to explain it.

Yes, we had a good run of three consecutive years. It was a considerable amount of planning to put it on, even though we (tried to) keep it as low key as possible, it still required lots of planning.

And of course there are always little "issues" that crop up during group events with so many people attending. I think we averaged about 80 attendees each year, nothing to sneeze at. No one problem that was a deal breaker on its own, but cumulatively it weighs on the organizers (or dis-organizers, as we liked to call ourselves).

I had lots of help, but by far the biggest portion came from FJRed, who as you'll recall lived in the immediate area of Stowe. Ed and Grace have sold their place in Waterbury, and Ed has moved on to a new BMW GSW. So, without having the local connection in Stowe anymore, I had the idea last year that someone else from the New England area (or maybe Upstate NY, which is technically not part of New England!) would be interested in hosting a NERDS event somewhere other than another repeat in Stowe.

After having done it for three years, I was (am) ready for someone else to take over leading the organization, or else let it fade away from memory gracefully. The former didn't happen then, and I haven't heard anyone proposing to do any organizing now, so I guess the fading away is happening by default.

We did have us some good times though...
wink.png

I believe NERDS is at least in hibernation. I agree it was a great get-together, but even the simplest ones require a lot of work(time) to put together. I'm sure Fred will be along to explain it.
Yes, even a minimalist gathering can take a lot of work unless it is simply a "I'm going to be there, does anyone want to join me" sort of thing. That sort can be fun but is more likely to flop (as an EVENT) unless there is some sort of organization behind it. I would help (perhaps next year) but I could contribute very little from 300+ miles away.

Yes, we had a good run of three consecutive years. It was a considerable amount of planning to put it on, even though we (tried to) keep it as low key as possible, it still required lots of planning.
And of course there are always little "issues" that crop up during group events with so many people attending. I think we averaged about 80 attendees each year, nothing to sneeze at. No one problem that was a deal breaker on its own, but cumulatively it weighs on the organizers (or dis-organizers, as we liked to call ourselves).

I had lots of help, but by far the biggest portion came from FJRed, who as you'll recall lived in the immediate area of Stowe. Ed and Grace have sold their place in Waterbury, and Ed has moved on to a new BMW GSW. So, without having the local connection in Stowe anymore, I had the idea last year that someone else from the New England area (or maybe Upstate NY, which is technically not part of New England!) would be interested in hosting a NERDS event somewhere other than another repeat in Stowe.

After having done it for three years, I was (am) ready for someone else to take over leading the organization, or else let it fade away from memory gracefully. The former didn't happen then, and I haven't heard anyone proposing to do any organizing now, so I guess the fading away is happening by default.

We did have us some good times though...
wink.png
Fred thank you for putting this on - I really enjoyed it the year I went. Does this mean my Shirt just became more valuable - like a painting when someone dies
smile.png

Only valuable if you have the complete set of three and only if they haven't been worn. You have stored it under nitrogen in a low-light area, haven't you?

Do we really need a treasure hunt? or even group dinners? This would cut out a lot of red tape.

...So what about a 'show up and ride" event? Of course tire kicking, beer in-hand parking lot gatherings (is pretty much mandatory). "IF" there's interest in this, I will volunteer the website & design, name tags etc. We have past routes, maybe even pan in some additional ones, but, there are only so many roads up there... if we keep it centralized in Stowe.

<2016 open ears>

Do we really need a treasure hunt? or even group dinners? This would cut out a lot of red tape.
...So what about a 'show up and ride" event? Of course tire kicking, beer in-hand parking lot gatherings (is pretty much mandatory). "IF" there's interest in this, I will volunteer the website & design, name tags etc. We have past routes, maybe even pan in some additional ones, but, there are only so many roads up there... if we keep it centralized in Stowe.

<2016 open ears>
I am interested. Don't need the treasure hunt and I would be happy to pass on a "Group dinner". A "show up and ride" works for me but it might be interesting to find a different venue. It might be hard to find something better than the Stowe area. The Commodore's works well and is easy with the well-developed riding loops - not much advance work is needed. Even if they are not the cheapest game in town, they are motorcycle friendly and have treated us well in the past.

I would suggest a camping meet at a state park somewhere but I understand that this is not something that would appeal to the majority. With decent weather, this can be a blast; especially if we had a group camping area.

Camping is not acceptable to the majority. It is a great alternative though, for the frugal.

I am all for the "Just announce it and they will come" philosophy. That was always my intention for NERDS, but I was swayed by "the committee", and we added "features". (This is all sounding a lot like designing a new electronic widget)

Maybe next year someone will be able to pull that off in its rawest, most minimal form, again in Stowe, in August, when nobody else wants to have a gathering (cause it;s too hot anywhere else).

I can hook you up with the owners at The Commodores and you can coordinate a group rate (the rate reduction is not that much) but that is the absolute best place ever for a rally in VT.

And you know what? If you have it, I will come. (don't know about anyone else)
wink.png

Camping is not acceptable to the majority. It is a great alternative though, for the frugal.
You calling me frugal (i.e. cheap)? I agree that its not for everyone and doesn't work for a meet that is mostly about riding. Socially, the camping thing is unbeatable, at least for those that like that particular activity. The eating (and drinking) can be terrific with a little pre-planning (and grocery shopping). The year I camped for NERDs, I only got a couple of rides in but still had a great time. Cost was maybe a quarter of what I have paid to stay in the hotel in previous years.

Either way, I am still interested and would plan to attend if the summer calendar permits.

I just worte a whole post about this discussion, then decided that was too much involvement, so I deleted it...lol. I No matter what the event is, if I can make it, I will, and I won't complain.

And I'll try not to Pee Wee Herman any bikes....

If there is a NERDS I will attend. I enjoyed he Commodore and think it is perfect, but I also like camping. I just don't want to put in the time and commitment to actually organize a rally. If someone steps up then I am willing to help.

Well I 'could' possibly step up for another event if nominated.

For '16, I'm def doing the Penn-Run Mem-Day Weekend, and the K16 group at MOA again in July. Also, probably SEO the 1st weekend in May if the natives want another roundup there.... so what's another one? :)

Only thing is... I'm not New Englandish (by even the slightest of any Hingham (MA) standards).

Luckily, NE can stand for North East as well as New England. And as I proposed back in 2014, someone could organize an event up in the Adirondacks somewhere. The riding there is just as good as in Vermont (with the exception of the double yellow law) and if it was on the east side of the 'dacks, VT is just across the lake / river.

Fred and I are both taking trips to Maine this month so maybe some scouting is in order. Both of us are going different places at different times but It is something to keep in mind while driving the hitherlands of the northeast mainiacs. I may have some company to help me out with that while I am up there.
winksmiley02.gif
Of coarse the theme and name might have to change. I don't even care about a discount on hotel price. Just say when and where. Unfortunately we always had conflicts when nerds came around and we were never able to make it. As far as I am concerned a place and a date are good enough for me. Isn't that how the Ohio ramble works or at least used too?

Just a thought,

Dave

Fred and I are both taking trips to Maine this month so maybe some scouting is in order. Both of us are going different places at different times but It is something to keep in mind while driving the hitherlands of the northeast mainiacs. I may have some company to help me out with that while I am up there.
winksmiley02.gif
Of coarse the theme and name might have to change. I don't even care about a discount on hotel price. Just say when and where. Unfortunately we always had conflicts when nerds came around and we were never able to make it. As far as I am concerned a place and a date are good enough for me. Isn't that how the Ohio ramble works or at least used too?
Just a thought,

Dave
I'm heading up to Owl's Head next weekend. Any specific roads I should check?