new Avons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feejer/Weejer man

Reaction score
Just installed new Avon front and rear. I installed the rear about three weeks ago because of a flat and I was nearing the wear bars so no need to plug. My independent shop didn't have a front so he ordered one and it was just installed on thurs. No weight needed to balance the rear and only 30 grams for the front. No, I repeat no wobble on decel or any other time. I love these tires. Second set, no problems. Had over 9500 on the rear and could have gone another 1000-1500 if it weren't for the flat. Figured the riding I am going to do the rest of the summer I might as well replace the front while I have the time. $265 mounted and balanced. I brought the wheels in to him to mount and balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you don't have the wobble. I just installed my second set of the Avons, and they have the handlebar shake. So did my first set.

I am convinced its not so much the probability the tire is bad, especially twice in a row, but something specific on the bike, rim balance, head bearings? Too many of us get no shake on multiple sets and some get it twice or more in a row.

I would still like to swap wheels with a shaker and see if on my bike if it shakes and on their bike if the shaking stops. This might help determine if indeed it is the tires.

When I had my front installed my friend that owns the shop and I were talking about why Avon doesn't designate a heavy spot on the tire. He asked Avon about this awhile back and they told him that the don't have a machine to balance the tire to determine the heavy spot. Sounds like to me they just don't want the added cost of culling marginal tires and the extra time it takes to do this.

I hope I'm not derailing this thread but since I also have Avons;

I was just looking at the Avons wear I have after several K of use. The front is doing well but there is extreme "feathering" on the rear sides (42 psi). The rear's centers could go a long way yet, but the sides howl like a banshee when I'm in a turn. The harder center strip is smooth in it's wear pattern.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of wear?

I'm not a peg scraper but we do have a lot of curvey roads locally.

dobias :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am convinced its not so much the probability the tire is bad, especially twice in a row, but something specific on the bike, rim balance, head bearings? Too many of us get no shake on multiple sets and some get it twice or more in a row. I would still like to swap wheels with a shaker and see if on my bike if it shakes and on their bike if the shaking stops. This might help determine if indeed it is the tires.

When I had my front installed my friend that owns the shop and I were talking about why Avon doesn't designate a heavy spot on the tire. He asked Avon about this awhile back and they told him that the don't have a machine to balance the tire to determine the heavy spot. Sounds like to me they just don't want the added cost of culling marginal tires and the extra time it takes to do this.
I can only speak based on my Goldwing experience. The wing gets the wobble based on tires. My stock D250's did not wobble at all. My Elite 3's wobbled like crazy. Metzler's nope. It's Gremlins I tell ya it's Gremlins.

My '05 came with Metzellers. They did not have the wobble, bike fully loaded or empty, from the day they were new, till the day I changed them out, no wobble. I installed the first set of Avons, and the wobble was there from day one. I suspect it is more a function of the tires than anything else, but I agree that it would be interesting to swap wheels with a non-wobbler just to see what happens.