New fjr rattles now!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DENCOUCH

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Okay, I find it bothersome that now with 1300 miles, my fjr has developed a pronounced rattle when on the road. I managed to dog it down, as it is not only annoying, but works a bit on the paranoid-side of me.

The panniers can be bounced up & down by hand now, with a simple push. When the bike is stationary, it is very easy to do & has a resulting rattle as the pannier brackets bounce against the slots in the frame.

Anyone notice this with their bikes? Anyone bothered enough to come up with a fix? The rubber wedges are still on the bottom-side of the panniers & have not fallen off.

Thanks!

Sorry bro...... you got the defective model...... best bet is to

sell me your bike for $1000 and go back and get a new one!!.... :yahoo: :dribble: :p

I am just here ta help bro......... lolol

I have put some rubberized nonskid tape on the top of slots where the hooks on the bags hook in and it took the sloppy slack out, now I have side bags thet don't rattle. if you PM me your address I can send you a set for your bike.

I have put some rubberized nonskid tape on the top of slots where the hooks on the bags hook in and it took the sloppy slack out, now I have side bags thet don't rattle. if you PM me your address I can send you a set for your bike.
Can you post a pic?

There has to be some play in there or the polymer will crack and you will play hell trying to remove and remount them. 'Doesn't bother me X 55K miles. WBill

Hey guys.

Okay, I find it bothersome that now with 1300 miles, my fjr has developed a pronounced rattle when on the road. I managed to dog it down, as it is not only annoying, but works a bit on the paranoid-side of me.

The panniers can be bounced up & down by hand now, with a simple push. When the bike is stationary, it is very easy to do & has a resulting rattle as the pannier brackets bounce against the slots in the frame.

Anyone notice this with their bikes? Anyone bothered enough to come up with a fix? The rubber wedges are still on the bottom-side of the panniers & have not fallen off.

Thanks!
I glued a rectangle of rubber sheet (old inner tube) up into the slot that the moving peg of the bag slots into. If you peer up there, you should see a piece that mamayama put there.

Slot is on the far left in this pic (a bit dark), it's a bit of a grovel to look up it
glare.gif

(click on image for larger view)

A common modification for safety that will reduce the rattle is to drill through the lower mount/rubber/brace and install a quick release pin to help in securing it. Mine fell off while I was being a hooligan crossing a street with a high crown and pulled a high wheelie. When I came down the bag kept going. My big complaint is the bags front "grabber" didn't clear the fender plastic and took a chunk out as it left.

NOT YAMA's fault as I bought the bags second hand after they were damaged on a bike during a serious wreck.

I always thought the latching mechanism was suspect.

Do a search about pinning your bags.

Can you post a pic?
IMG_3530.JPG

I also put a strip on the side, you can kind of see the edge, it sill has a little slack but the rattling noise is reduced.

You all be anal-retentive mofos!!! Over 300k miles of FJR riding and have never noticed any rattling. Ignorance is bliss. If I notice it now, I am hunting you guys down like the dogs that you are and you will be in trouble! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You all be anal-retentive mofos!!! Over 300k miles of FJR riding and have never noticed any rattling. Ignorance is bliss. If I notice it now, I am hunting you guys down like the dogs that you are and you will be in trouble! :p
Yo Skoot, I gotta love a guy who ain't afraid to tell it like it is !!!!

Sorry Man!

The irony here is that I am deaf & wear hearing aids!

Go figure. :wacko:

I can't figure out why your bags rattle. Mine have never rattled, and if they do, I just can't hear it. Being 2 feet behind the rider and past the air flow and engine noise, make me mostly oblivious to what's going on below the rear seat. Haven't heard a rattle yet.

I was gonna say you must have really good hearing, but you say no. Makes a person wonder.....

Latest posts