New Self-Cancelling Turn Signals Product!?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a moment of weakness, I ponied up. Not sure that I'll get one though.

I apparently did not get the beta email. I used the link in Madmudder's post to get there. When I tried to pay with a credit card, it wouldn't accept it because of my email address. I'm guessing that because I wasn't one of the ones who got the email, it wouldn't let me. But for kicks, I tried paying with PayPal and had no issues.

I'm thinking it will get canceled. Or the shipping charges will be more. Or whatever else. That will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I'll cancel then. But if it does show up, I'll try to document the install as well.

I had another email from STS.... I had asked for more details about the features, not the install........

"Thank you for your email. You will receive an exact user manual with the device. Smart Turn System is a self-canceling turn signal system for motorcycle, that cancels turn signal when the maneuver is completed. User has to turn on turn signal before the maneuver (it is important to turn it on before the maneuver not in the middle of the maneuver, for example when a rider is already changing lane). After the maneuver is completed system will automatically cancel turn signals. If a user want's to manually cancel turn signal one has to press turn signal switch in the same direction again. In case one changes his mind he turns on opposite turn signal by pressing opposite side of turn signal switch. Although STS device is extremely reliable you should still be careful when using turn signals. For example, if one will change lane on highway for a long period of time (long distance), STS might not cancel turn signals. STS is to be used as a

help for canceling turn signals.

Best regards,

STS team"

After having the Kisan system, I mentioned they may want a time-out feature should they fail to cancel/should one somehow leave the signals on in a straight line, and to avoid the timer cancelling early, have a timer reset when you hit the brakes (as Kisan does).

"Thank you very much for your e-mail. We don't want to interfere with braking signal but we are detecting when the motorcycle is not moving with movement sensors so we think we'll be able to find a solution for this."

So, my impression is, while good it is still not perfect. However, because of the lean angle sensors, it should be similar to the old Magna system except it mechanically cancelled the signals. In my opinion, it is better than a time-out system.

I remain interested, but don't want to be the Guinea Pig.

I'm sure the Video Guy will post a review sooner or later.

Subscribed, for now

I just ordered today.

I thought about getting the SM-3 from Kisan, but the STS is probably better, and at this introductory price it is much a better deal shipped to Canada.

I received the following email. Looks like my order went through. I'd be shocked if I got this in June though. Or July. Or August.

I'm planning on installing it at the Fall Tech Day, since I don't anticipate it arriving much before then. I've backed a few Kickstarters and have never received them on time. Some a couple months, some more than a year. I suspect this will be no different. Although, I doubt the demand is as high as the other things I've backed so I don't think it will be an outrageously long delay.

Hi,

thank you for your support and participation in STS Early user program. We
are extremely excited to start shipping our products and receive your
feedback.

At the moment we are testing and certification STS device for homologation
and preparing installation manuals for every motorcycle.

We are planning to send you a detailed installation manual in beginning of
June. At that moment we expect you to go through installation manual and
contact us if you will have any question or remarks. If you will feel you
are not capable of installing STS device on your own you can contact your
local mechanic or our support team. You also have full right to leave early
user program and we will fully refund your money.

We plan to start shipping STS devices in second half of June, there could be
a chance that some models will be delayed but in that case we will let you
know as soon as possible and you will decide whether you still want delayed
device.

After you receive and install our device we would really appreciate if you
could do a test ride and give us feedback. This could be in writting or as a
video. In case of any problems we will get in contact with you and resolve
it. Again, at any moment you will have a chance to return the device and we
will fully return your money.

Thank you again for your support and we will keep you posted about our
update.

Best regards

MIHA KOVAC
CEO

The 1st Gen VMax has self-cancelling turn signals. I wonder if it can be retrofit to the FJR?
as did my trusty FJ1200.....good question tho I doubt it...
My 2004 Roadstar Warrior had them as well - going backwards
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like my package is on its way. Got this email from them. Not sure how long it takes from Slovenia. I'm guessing a couple weeks.

Dear STS user,

As one of the first buyers in our early user program you are amongst first riders in the world that will set new safety standards regarding the use of turn signal indicators and we are honoured, that you will do so with our product.

We are very happy to inform you, that we have already sent the STS package to your address that you provided at your early user application on our website and you should expect the STS package in the next few days. Also, the invoice will be sent to you per e-mail in one week time.

We will be very happy, if you will share with us your user experience and also, we will provide you our full support in case of any questions you might have.

Thank you for making the road a safer place for the riders and enjoy your ride!

Best regards,

Your STS team

I canceled my pre-order last month when the estimated shipping date slipped again. The money was promptly refunded. I hope they work out for you guys!
Slippage is pretty much a guarantee with pre-order. In fact, this may be the closest to the promised date project I'll have received. I haven't developed arthritis in my thumb yet, so I haven't been completely lost without it.

Glad they returned your money though. Sometimes people aren't so lucky.

I did notice that you can order them now for 99 € right now. So not quite the savings they were promising by pre-ordering. What can you do?

Just got it in the mail. Box was crushed somewhere in the mail!

20160810_123150_resized_zpsd1lvwr8m.jpg

It was wrapped in bubble wrap inside the box.

Inside the box, it all looks ok.
20160810_124148_resized_zpskupd0kyv.jpg

Now to find time to install it.

Not today, It's got to be the hottest day of the year so far.