New to me 2015 FJR 1300 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toter

Reaction score
Drove up to Kentucky to pick up a 2015 FJR 1300. Rode it 300 miles back to it's new Georgia home. Nice trip to get acquainted with her. Brought back memories of the 2006 I had, but the 2015 suspension and smoothness is absolutely amazing. Thanks Judy Bates Beckett, for giving up your whole day and driving my car back.

On a side note, the 300 mile trip was pretty scenic and uneventful, except for one lady that tried to kill me. In the left lane on a two lanes each way highway in Tennessee.  The right lane slowed and this lady swerved into my lane when I was at her rear tire. Grabbed both front and rear brakes hard. The FJR brakes are amazing.  They kept me from being road kill. Thankfully no one was close behind me. I was pissed. Ran up along side her and she was apologizing profusely. Gave her a wave and rode on. Cheated death again! I was very lucky to be on a superb motorcycle with wonderful brakes! Love the new FJR.

Rode up to my buddies place in Blue Ridge, about 45 miles. Helped him do some construction in his workshop. On the ride back down a 2 lanes each way 65 mph highway, had another lady whip over right into my lane. This time there was no traffic slowing, just out of the blue lane change with no mirror check. WTF! That's twice in about a week.  There must be something about that loud pipes save lives stuff, this doesn't happen when I'm on my Road King. 

Rode up to my buddies place in Blue Ridge, about 45 miles. Helped him do some construction in his workshop. On the ride back down a 2 lanes each way 65 mph highway, had another lady whip over right into my lane. This time there was no traffic slowing, just out of the blue lane change with no mirror check. WTF! That's twice in about a week.  There must be something about that loud pipes save lives stuff, this doesn't happen when I'm on my Road King. 
Loud pipes piss off neighbors, they don't save lives. Your HD probably is going so slow that the abrupt lane change doesn't affect you since you have more time to react. 

That is all.  :tomato:

There must be something about that loud pipes save lives stuff, this doesn't happen when I'm on my Road King. 
Pipes aren't going to help but some auxiliary lighting front and rear makes quite a difference.  I have a set of Hyperlights (3 way) that gives me extra running, brake and turn signal plus brake lights that flash for 5 seconds when brake is applied.  Gets the attention of a driver at a stop light.  I also have a set of small amber fork mounted LEDs (Clearwater Glendas) and some larger mirror mounted Clearwater Ericas.  I keep these at minimum brightness during the day and set to 100% with high beams at night - far to bright for oncoming traffic other than at low power.  They also go to full intensity with application of my Piaa replacement horns.  The extra lighting makes you stand out in the first place and the combination of loud horns and aux lights going to bright makes it a real attention getter.  I had no extra lighting on my '07 and often had other drivers not paying sufficient attention.  I find far fewer similar incidents on this bike.

Pipes aren't going to help but some auxiliary lighting front and rear makes quite a difference.  I have a set of Hyperlights (3 way) that gives me extra running, brake and turn signal plus brake lights that flash for 5 seconds when brake is applied.  Gets the attention of a driver at a stop light.  I also have a set of small amber fork mounted LEDs (Clearwater Glendas) and some larger mirror mounted Clearwater Ericas.  I keep these at minimum brightness during the day and set to 100% with high beams at night - far to bright for oncoming traffic other than at low power.  They also go to full intensity with application of my Piaa replacement horns.  The extra lighting makes you stand out in the first place and the combination of loud horns and aux lights going to bright makes it a real attention getter.  I had no extra lighting on my '07 and often had other drivers not paying sufficient attention.  I find far fewer similar incidents on this bike.
Be alert, lerts live longer.

That's twice in about a week.  There must be something about that loud pipes save lives stuff, this doesn't happen when I'm on my Road King. 
Just some opinions from a fellow '15ES owner, I believe RossKean is 100% correct.  Auxiliary Lighting.  Get Some.

The AssFault Gray of the '15 just disappears, blends in or something.  I have had more bird kills with this motorcycle than all of my riding friends combined.  I mounted some LEDs on the forks which are about 85% to increase my visibility and about 15% to improve my vision at night.  The Triangle of Light is a thing and it will improve your visibility to the vehicles around you.

This pic is of Pop's '14 but you can see the fork lights:

Got an Olympia Moto X 2 jacket with high viz panels coming. Redfish, I'll check out your aux. lighting at SFO in a few days. Thanks all.