no longer a FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Today, with just over 2 years of ownership, almost 21,000 miles, I traded in my 2006 FJR 1300AE for a 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12XT - the street Ulysses (street tires and lower seat/suspension).

It's been a love/hate relationship with my FJR. It was just the throttle response that I could get past. Even with the PCIII.

However, this message board has been great throughout my FJR ownership and with that I owe a debt of gratitude. :clapping:

Keep the rubber side down everyone.

I have a XB12X as well as the FJR. It is without a doubt the most fun you can have on a bike crossing so many boundaries. You'll develop the same love/hate relationship with the Buell. Mostly it is the dealer network that does Buell a disservice. They don't even pretend to try.

Thanks.

Yes, I've been reading about Buell "service" but I luckily live in the Los Angeles area and Buell of Glendale is one of the better ones for service.

I was >< close to an XB12XT before the FJR but I could not find one locally to sit on the XB's seat was a little high for me well two up it would be.

Man the Ulysses is one fun machine though, more torque than anyone needs really. 3rd gear roll on wheelies no problemo. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. For me, the standard seat on the XB12XT is close to how my feet were on the FJR. Buell does have a "low" seat for the Ulysses. Problem is, I cannot determine if the XB12XT already comes with that seat. The XT seat height (per Buell) is 30.7 compared to the regular Ulysses at 31.8.

Dealershp is going to get back to me later this week and let me know if my current seat is different that the low seat option (lowers by 1.5"). If it is different and will lower the seat by 1.5" that will make me more planted with both feet. *fingers crossed*

Man, how can you stand the vibration on those things? I test rode one of these the day before I bought my FJR. We did some twistee-curvees as well as a streak down the highway at 70mph. If I bought one of these, my dentist would be a lot richer replacing my fillings. It handled, but Jesus H. Christ, the vibration just overpowered everything else. I was glad to be back off of it.

At 70 mph and above, the Buell is as smooth if not smoother than the FJR for engine vibs. This has been my experience. I think both bikes are great. :thumbsupsmiley:

I agree, at freeway speeds (for me - around 70-75) the FJR had that buzz. Not so wtih the Buell. Sure it "shakes" at idle but it really smooths out once you get moving.

At 70 mph and above, the Buell is as smooth if not smoother than the FJR for engine vibs. This has been my experience.
Interesting... because it definitely wasn't mine. And my SV-650 has more vibes than the FJR. This was at a Harley dealership, so I'm pretty sure the bike was "ok" and not somehow broken. On one hand, the HD dealership is a block and a half down the road from home. On the other hand, I have friends that would stop speaking to me if I bought a Harley. :)

818 Guy:

I have an '06 X; the tall one. My experience with the low seat is that it moves you closer to the the rear cylinder and exhaust pipes. The right leg gets toastier as a result. If you can tolerate less than ideal footing I would stick with the taller of the two seats. When I bought mine I asked the dealer to toss in a low seat as part of the deal. I used it for about three months (took delivery in December of 2006) and then switched back to the tall seat in April of 2007. I haven't used the low seat since.

If you haven't already done so check out badweatherbikers.com. It is a Buell-only forum that rivals this one for quality. Good luck with your new Buell.

Dave

I bought a 95 Buell that was their sport tourer at the time. Always said if Harley would build a sporty bike I would try it. I did and it was a piece of shit. Fairing mounts broke twice, first ride of 60 miles one of the header pipes came off because the nuts came off the header bolts. Battery bracket pin vibrated out and damn near lost the battery. The carbon fiber rear wheel fender rubbed on the white frame. Anything over 80 mph made the engine blow oil all down the white frame on the right side. The seat did not fit the lock very well and would come loose from time time to time. The bassackwards rear shock rode like a brick no matter how you set it. I think that was from having the muffler right on top of it. Kept the oil too hot. This even after a replacement shock from the factory. Ended up with a stack of recalls you couldn't jump over.

For all the hype from the magazines about how great an engnieer Eric Buell was I finally came to the conclusion that a lot of money must have changed hands to get those great write ups. The fairing mount thing was a total piece of crap that my 8 year old grandson could have done better.

It did get terrific gas mileage and the front end worked very well. After about 85 it was all over. It would eventually wind up to 100 or so, but that induced the oil bath down the right hand side and dark oil on a white frame was just more than I could handle.

I tried them and needless to say won't be back.

Wind is okay until about 75ish. For me (I'm about 155lbs.) it startes to get a bit much over 80. - bike weaves. But this bike IMO wasn't designed for 80+ riding.

Not the best pictures, but here are some:

With the bags on…

1_touring1.JPG
1_touring2.JPG

With the bags off…

1_hooligan1.JPG
1_hooligan2.JPG

I mean it weaves because it's about 175lbs lighter than my old FJR. I just seem to get blown around more on the Ulysses. Which isn't a bad thing, it keeps me honest (slower speeds). ;)

Today, with just over 2 years of ownership, almost 21,000 miles, I traded in my 2006 FJR 1300AE for a 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12XT - the street Ulysses (street tires and lower seat/suspension).

It's been a love/hate relationship with my FJR. It was just the throttle response that I could get past. Even with the PCIII.

However, this message board has been great throughout my FJR ownership and with that I owe a debt of gratitude. :clapping:

Keep the rubber side down everyone.

[/quote

Hey just do it, why tell anyone, enjoy the ride and next time keep to yourself, idiot.

"Hey just do it, why tell anyone, enjoy the ride and next time keep to yourself, idiot."

Huh? Who pissed in your Wheaties? :blink: :glare: