No riding before buying?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Honda dealer damn near throws the keys at me for bikes I show even slight interest in. Of course, I've bought 5 from him in less than 3 years time. :blink:

I had no chance of testing the FJR due to the PDP, but I would think that I could make it happen if the bikes were just 'on the floor'.

On the other hand, my Harley dealer would not let me test the Road King, but I proposed a rider on my insurance policy and he bought that. Cost me 80 bucks, IIRC and the salesman knocked that off the sales price of the bike. Big whoop. I still paid list for that rig...

Last edited by a moderator:
I never test rode a FJR, but from the first time I seen one in a shop it was like mmm now thats a bike. I did look at the st 1300, but it was heavier and less horse power, so it was a no brainer to get the FJR. I have always rode dirt bikes, and require some snap in a bike. The FJR isnt a perfect bike but with some added farkles it comes dam close. I guess I looked at what I wanted in a bike and then just bought it. I must of made a good choice as I have no regrets. :)

Mtn

I think you've got your common, sub-par dealer there. I'd keep looking. There are plenty of FJRs around for sale. I'd be patient and find the right one. My dealers let me ride before I buy. But I don't really need to 'test ride' a bike. I've already done the research, read the magazine reviews, checked the forums, talked to other owners, before I buy a bike.

If you don't feel like these guys know what they're doing, keep moving.

I've bought 5 bikes from 2 different dealerships. Prior to purchasing the FJR, I went to 6 different dealerships and only 1 allowed test drives. As previous posts have noted I kept getting the "we don't have insurance to cover test rides" speech. I finally bought mine from a guy that lived in a nearby town after swapping bikes with him while riding on two different occasions. In fact we traded bikes!

I would much prefer to puchase from a private party if your looking for a used bike. Buying from a dealership you have no way to know who had it before you. If you buy private party you will for sure meet the seller and if you go to their residence you will get a pretty good idea of whether or not they take care of their belongings. I personally witnessed the previous owner of my bike strip the bike of it's plastics to clean it after a weekend ride during which he had encountered 30 minutes of rain. That's when I knew there was no way I was going to find a better cared for used bike!

Dealers in this area, I have found, will let you test ride their used bikes..only exception I have come across is a local Guzzi dealer; he'll let you test drive a new bike, assuming you have the usual endorsements...(motorcycle license/insurance/etc).

fill out your profile and let us other Florida Feejer Owners know where you're kickin' tires.
Might come in handy. :)
Done! :D Thanks

But I don't really need to 'test ride' a bike. I've already done the research, read the magazine reviews, checked the forums, talked to other owners, before I buy a bike.
See, I've read all the reviews, I've read the comparisons, even read the latest issue of Cycle World (I think that was the mag) that reviewed the new AE vs the k1200gt, and they gave the nod to the beemer despite the price difference. I'm pretty sure the FJR is what I want, BUT I want to ride it to confirm all these wonderful things I've read - almost sell myself I guess? I'm not 100% sold until I get to experience it and see if indeed it is this perfect sport touring bike that fits me.

I would much prefer to puchase from a private party if your looking for a used bike. Buying from a dealership you have no way to know who had it before you. If you buy private party you will for sure meet the seller and if you go to their residence you will get a pretty good idea of whether or not they take care of their belongings.
I'm thinking I'm with you on this one...I sold my 99 Hardtop vette for what I was asking (and what I paid for it 2.5 years earlier) to a guy in Virginia. I kept it in a/c'd workshop/garage separate from my house. It got oil changes every 3k miles, and an analysis was done on the old oil every time. The car was babied, and looked brand new. Keep in mind I drove the piss out of it! Bought it with 12k miles on it, sold it with over 64k. My wife jokes I treat my cars better than her and spend more time with them. :D My VTX has been cared for in the same manner, hence the reason it sold in less than 2 weeks and to the first person that saw it. I guess the purpose for me blabbing about all this is that I'm not some young kid out looking to hot dog on an R6...

too many dealers have been burned by people who come into the shop, say they are "experienced" riders who have been riding for years and then promptly dump the bike on a test ride because they are NOOBs. Way too easy to dump a bike and do thousands of dollars of damage - right in the parking lot.

Few dealers around Houston, except for BMW, will let anyone take a test ride UNLESS THEY ARE A RETURN CUSTOMER THEY KNOW.

And who can blame them?

If test-rides were a prerequisite to purchase, there probably wouldn't be FJRs in America today.

I think many people are somewhat poor at self-assessment -- especially as it pertains to their riding skills.

If one were un-familiar with the sport-touring genre (i.e., somewhat large, often top-heavy bikes with rigid fairings blocking the view)?, I think, the chance for a costly *tip-over* increases. If, however, one is familiar with the genre? -- then, just go ride the competiton and know the FJR will be better. :lol:

If it's *the principle of the thing*? Well, then, you're still looking -- I guess? :unsure: :(

I went to a local dealer today who happened to have 2 06 fjr's instock, and 1 05 used for sale. They were telling me I would have to sign the papers to purchase the bike, then have a contingency on the test ride, and if I wasnt happy I could tear the purchase paperwork up when I got back. Are all the other dealers like this? I am strongly considering the FJR, the ST1300 and the K1200 GT but for damn sure Im not buying a bike just to test ride it. Keep in mind, I do have my florida motorcycle endorsement as well as insurance on my current VTX which will be sold on Saturday.
Thanks!
Hmmm.... the FJR I test rode was in Hawaii, one of the salesguys bought it form the dealer...not enuf sport bike for him, but I finally bought mine from a private seller in Ohio. Didnt' test ride the Harley that i bought, none of the bike in that dealer's showroom were ready to ride, the place was just way too small and too good serivice to have time to prep bikes... I guess that's an exception.

Every other place I've been I test rode whatever I wanted to. Usual procedure, photocopy driver's lisc, sign a release, no problems.

Find another dealer. I do buy some of my rides untested, but that's just me...<G>

Mary

As I'm sure you've realized by reading the responses, most of us made a leap of faith and bought this bike without ever riding it and in some cases without even sitting on one. I was one of those people and have not regretted it. I test rode a K1200GT at Americade this summer. Even if it was the same price as the FJR I still wouldn't have bought it. The BMW had more wind protection for the rider and felt somewhat Gold Wingish compared to the FJR. I prefer the FJR's bias to the sporty side. And those BMW brakes felt absolutely wooden. Good luck with your decision.

I know almost every FJR in the U.S., including the one I currently own, got to this country because people were willing to take that leap of faith. I'm grateful you folks did, but I wouldn't have been able to make myself do it. I had to know how I'd fit. A test ride at my dealer was no problem as long as I had a license. Maybe it helped that I already owned a Connie so the dealer figured I could handle top heavy bikes, and maybe it helped that it was a used bike.

By the way, though, it didn't take a very long ride to make up my mind. :D What a great bike!

I think you'll find a majority of folks here that never got to ride one or even see it before they put $500 to order it and delivered many months later. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to just sit on another forum members for 2 minutes before I got my '05.
With the shift from a PDP program to one where they're in the showroom you might find some dealers increasingly offer the option of a test ride, but what you're experiencing is the norm, not the exception. To me, it seems to me they're trying to find a way for you to ride it...which seems kind of an odd process, but is still more than many dealers currently do.

+ 1 - I was allowed to sit on one. I never did ride one until I picked up my new one. If I could go back and do it over - I wouldn't change a thing, I have been very happy with my 06 FJR - and I haven't had any tickets this season - unbelievable for me but there is always next season. :D

Overall, the mindset I was in when I left was - if I buy this bike here, and I get a ticker, what kinda service am I going to get...
Doesn't sound like you'd get good service from that dealer. I haven't heard of any '06 tickers, though.

I got the same runaround on my Connie - sign ze papers and bring it back if you don't like it. I don't know if they would have taken it back or not. Do you trust this guy? If at this point you think the FJR is the bike for you, then signing the papers might not be such a bad thing; judging by this and other forums, almost all FJR buyers are happy with the bike.

If you wanted to do the 600 mile service as soon as you got home with the bike, you could drive up to Cullman, AL and buy the bike from an outfit called D & H. They sell a lot of FJRs and I've only heard good about them.

Last I checked the classified section, there were some FJRs for sale in the sunshine state. Don't know if any were near you, but I'll bet that if you went to look at one the owner'd let you ride it.

Must depend on your region. Near Los Angeles we could get no test rides on FJR's or ST1300's. Bought my FJR just after being able to sit on one at the IMS show.

But BMW and Triumph dealers near me want to throw keys at us for test rides. Go figure.

By chance, what they want for the 06's?
Thats a whole nother story - I couldnt get a straight answer from them on the used one, somewhere between 10 and 11, and the new ones were "13 something?" as the GM gave the sales guy an unknowing glance...

Overall, the mindset I was in when I left was - if I buy this bike here, and I get a ticker, what kinda service am I going to get...
I just bought an '05 ABS w/ 12k miles for $8995. It was from a used bike dealer here in NH that sells most of his bikes via eBay. He was asking $9995 for it in the shop and I got it on eBay for the reserve price. Guess nobody is thinking about buying motorcycles in NH right now? :lol:

Local dealer let me ride a new 05 about two years ago. Decided not to buy it. Then, this past April, got to test-ride :bike: an 06 shortly after it was prepped. Bought the bike. I did not prepurchase via PDP. A liability release was required for both test-rides.

They even have a rental FJR. Although I think they suspend the rental program during the colder months.

I bought mine used ('05) from a local BMW dealer and the guy wouldn't let me even talk about it w/o a ride. Told me to take my time, so I went for about 30mins and bought it.

Josh

By chance, what they want for the 06's?
Thats a whole nother story - I couldnt get a straight answer from them on the used one, somewhere between 10 and 11, and the new ones were "13 something?" as the GM gave the sales guy an unknowing glance...

On the new ones it sounds like he is asking MSRP $13,499 for the 06.

You can get a new 07 next month at D&H in Culman, Al for 11,900 06 were 11,500 IIRC.(if the FL insurance regs will allow it.)

If not, this gives you an Idea of bargain room. The 10ish on the 05 may be ok depending on the farkle list.