No riding before buying?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are other dealers, take a pass on that one and go talk to the next closest one to you. Start by explaining that you are there because of the behavior of the other dealer. Name the other dealer too. then just put it to them strait out that you want to test ride the FJR because you're on the edge of buying but don't like spending your money blind.

Another suggestion is RIDE to the dealership. If the VTX has any miles at all on it, that's a good idication to the dealer that you're not a hack. Also showing up in a car with your gear.......(you have gear?), is a red flag to some dealers.

On the gear part. Asking to ride a FJR while holding a beenie helmet and wearing only a tee shirt and jeans with your tennis shoes is probably asking to be turned down. Not that there aren't FJR owners that ride like that, but they are a minority. Serious gear will often get you treated a lot better when you're asking for test rides.

Another suggestion is RIDE to the dealership. If the VTX has any miles at all on it, that's a good idication to the dealer that you're not a hack. Also showing up in a car with your gear.......(you have gear?), is a red flag to some dealers.
On the gear part. Asking to ride a FJR while holding a beenie helmet and wearing only a tee shirt and jeans with your tennis shoes is probably asking to be turned down. Not that there aren't FJR owners that ride like that, but they are a minority. Serious gear will often get you treated a lot better when you're asking for test rides.
Well, since I have a purchase contract for the vtx & deposit, and money/keys will exchange hands in a few days, I rather not ride the VTX, just incase. Especially from where I live to where the dealer is...Id have to go down 2 of the most busy roads (Dale Mabry & US19) to get there and it would during prime rush hour traffic.

As far as gear, I went straight over after work, wearing a long sleeve button down shirt and khaki pants. I was the best dressed guy there :D

Not only did my dealer let me test ride it, he had to move a dozen bikes to get it from the middle of the floor to the door. Then when it was finally outside they had to fuel it up. The last few years (I'm older now and LOOK more responsible now :p ) I've never been given a hard time about a test ride. I'd look to another dealer if it was me, but from the sounds of it, I may be one of the spoiled ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since I have a purchase contract for the vtx & deposit, and money/keys will exchange hands in a few days, I rather not ride the VTX, just incase. Especially from where I live to where the dealer is...Id have to go down 2 of the most busy roads (Dale Mabry & US19) to get there and it would during prime rush hour traffic.
Ahhhhh, Dale Mabry, I know of this road, however, I can never get past Mons Venus :D

Skippy

As far as gear, I went straight over after work, wearing a long sleeve button down shirt and khaki pants. I was the best dressed guy there :D
Well no wonder he wouldn't let you test ride the bike! :huh: ;) I hear you on the VTX, but I know most dealerships around my neck of the woods are more likely to allow a test ride if you ride up on a comparable bike. And a lot less likely if you show up with your buds on the back of one of their bikes... :unsure:

Wear/take your riding gear to another dealership and ask. Or hell, just call around and ask about test rides. Might save yourself some frustration.

Ahhhhh, Dale Mabry, I know of this road, however, I can never get past Mons Venus :D
Ahh yeah...whats the name of the place again?? Never been there...ever...I swear! :p

Well no wonder he wouldn't let you test ride the bike! :huh: ;) I hear you on the VTX, but I know most dealerships around my neck of the woods are more likely to allow a test ride if you ride up on a comparable bike. And a lot less likely if you show up with your buds on the back of one of their bikes... :unsure:
Wear/take your riding gear to another dealership and ask. Or hell, just call around and ask about test rides. Might save yourself some frustration.
I hear ya about the gear...Also I tried calling most of the other local yammie dealers..No one has any FJRs in stock :( This was the only dealer I could find within a reasonable driving distance.

OHHH - and if anyone is interesting in purchasing a 2005 Acura TL - shoot me a PM!!! :D

Tampa eh? Cycle Trader ad Here's a '04 ABS for $8975 or best offer. E-mail: [email protected] or call (813) 927-2544 (from the ad) 18k on the bike. Pretty decent price, IMHO. I have 60k on my '04 ABS w/no issues at all.

Champions Yamaha of Leesburg has a '06 (888) 545-9236 $12,995

An '05 in Tampa - 2005 YAMAHA FJR1300, FJR 1300, Yamaha dark blue, Perfect condition. Never ridden in rain. 3850 miles. Includes Heli-Bar handlebar risers. $9,600 OBO. (813)767-6909 (813)571-3633

A little farther away, Pompano Pat's in Daytona has a '03 that they want way too much money for, but is essentially the same bike engine wise and ride wise as the '07. (888) 252-3707

Must depend on your region. Near Los Angeles we could get no test rides on FJR's or ST1300's. Bought my FJR just after being able to sit on one at the IMS show.
But BMW and Triumph dealers near me want to throw keys at us for test rides. Go figure.
Although I had to sign all the papers, I got a test ride on an AE from North Hollywood Yamaha. I think that's reasonable--they've got a lot to lose if you drop it, so it's a case of "You break it, you buy it." I loved the bike, but i finished the test ride with a major cramp in my neck/shoulder, and they took the bike back without question or hassle. A month later I decided I wanted the bike and would find a way to deal with the neck cramps (Heli) and bought an AE from LA Discount Yamaha (saved $4000) over what the North Hollywood guys were asking.

"Well, since I have a purchase contract for the vtx & deposit, and money/keys will exchange hands in a few days, I rather not ride the VTX, just incase. Especially from where I live to where the dealer is...Id have to go down 2 of the most busy roads (Dale Mabry & US19) to get there and it would during prime rush hour traffic.

As far as gear, I went straight over after work, wearing a long sleeve button down shirt and khaki pants. I was the best dressed guy there"

You are getting good advice, automag, and you are not listening. Showing up at the dealer with no riding gear tells him that you are just another guy with more money than brains or experience. You still own the VTX and have it insured, I presume. If you ride into the dealership with a big bike and proper gear, it tells the dealer you know how to ride a big bike. If you are afraid to drive the VTX down the road, regardless of the traffic, why the hell should a dealer let you drive their $13,500 bike in the same traffic.

The dealer has a legitimate concern about not running up miles on a brand new bike. The dealer's a dick if they won't let you test ride a used 2005 FJR, provided that you show up with proper gear and provide some evidence that you can handle the bike. I rode an old GoldWing for a year before I started looking for an FJR. I found a dealer with a new 2006 and a used 2005 FJR. He let me test ride the 05 when I showed up driving the GW with proper gear. It took me 5 minutes on the 05 to know that I wanted to buy an FJR. The 06 FJR is the 05 with much better heat management because of the new fairing and an excellent seat. I put on a CalSci windshield, heated grips, Helibar triple clamp and riser, and MC cruise control and still saved $5,000 over the BMW R1200RT, which is also an excellent bike. If I lived closer to Cullman, Alabama (like you do) I would have saved even more.

If you are serious about the bike, stop dicking around. Show up in proper gear on a big bike and try to negotiate a test drive on the used 05. See if the bike fits you well. The fit will be the same between the 05 and 06 model. Then buy an 06 or 07 model. You won't go wrong and you won't regret it.

You are getting good advice, automag, and you are not listening. Showing up at the dealer with no riding gear tells him that you are just another guy with more money than brains or experience. You still own the VTX and have it insured, I presume. If you ride into the dealership with a big bike and proper gear, it tells the dealer you know how to ride a big bike. If you are afraid to drive the VTX down the road, regardless of the traffic, why the hell should a dealer let you drive their $13,500 bike in the same traffic.
Ok - I am listening - everyone from the FJR Forum LOVES the FJR - go figure! :rolleyes:

As far as not having gear with me...Well my gear was in my TL which I dropped off to the dealer on Monday afternoon and was supposed to be done with the warranty work on Tuesday. Well it wasn't and I couldnt go by and go through my car to get my stuff. It just so happened I had a few hours to kill before I had to pick up my son, hence the reason I went in my loaner car after work to go look at the FJR.

As far as riding my bike over - Yes I own the VTX and still have insurance - however, a purchase contract has been signed, I have taken a deposit and the bike is SITTING until it is transfered to the new owner. Put yourself in my place...I would have to ride the bike over 40 miles from my house to the dealer in 4 oclock traffic down 2 of the most busiest roads in Tampa/St. Pete/CW area. Now imagine I wreck for whatever reason, do you think the insurance company is going to give me what I am selling it for to a private party?? I have no problems riding in traffic, just it would not have been the smartest thing at the time. Again, not afraid, just used some common sense.

The dealer has a legitimate concern about not running up miles on a brand new bike. The dealer's a dick if they won't let you test ride a used 2005 FJR, provided that you show up with proper gear and provide some evidence that you can handle the bike.
Ok what more "evidence" do I need other than I have passed the state requirements at a motorcycle school (which yes is basic but how many people out there riding bikes even have their endorsements?). Not only that but I have insurance on my current bike, which is not needed but I have anyways.

Maybe I need to give a blood sample and a polygraph before I start looking through the showroom??

I've ridden my VTX, Road Kings, an Ultra Classic, heritage softtail, shadow 1100, shadow 750, k1200gt, vfr750, CR250R dirt bike, and have not dropped a bike yet...not bragging by any means, but I've had the experiences of riding more than just my bike - sorry I didnt ride it in to the dealer.

If you are serious about the bike, stop dicking around. Show up in proper gear on a big bike and try to negotiate a test drive on the used 05. See if the bike fits you well. The fit will be the same between the 05 and 06 model. Then buy an 06 or 07 model. You won't go wrong and you won't regret it.
I'm not dicking around, I would just like to ride the bike before I decide to buy it! I was more than prepeared to sign paperwork that day, but I'm not going to lay all my cards out on the table in one flop in front of a dealer who doesnt even know what they are asking for pricewise on the bike. The dealer was asking retail (or more?) for a bike that has a passenger bag that was banged up and no tread on the rear tire. Listen to yourself, "try to negotiate a test drive on the used 05" NEGOTIATE to take a test ride??? on a used bike??? cmon! Maybe I just dont have the funds available, and dont make the kinda money some people on here make, but before I drop my hard earned money on what is basically a "toy" for my enjoyment, I'd like to make sure I like it! The last thing I want to do is buy a bike and end up in this thread a month later --- https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...&hl=remorse

Anyway - I appreciate your comments still, even though I disagree with some of the points you brought up. I understand "the look" from the dealer may have been different had I ridden up in my VTX ready to go.

Tampa eh? Cycle Trader ad Here's a '04 ABS for $8975 or best offer. E-mail: [email protected] or call (813) 927-2544 (from the ad) 18k on the bike. Pretty decent price, IMHO. I have 60k on my '04 ABS w/no issues at all.
Champions Yamaha of Leesburg has a '06 (888) 545-9236 $12,995

An '05 in Tampa - 2005 YAMAHA FJR1300, FJR 1300, Yamaha dark blue, Perfect condition. Never ridden in rain. 3850 miles. Includes Heli-Bar handlebar risers. $9,600 OBO. (813)767-6909 (813)571-3633

A little farther away, Pompano Pat's in Daytona has a '03 that they want way too much money for, but is essentially the same bike engine wise and ride wise as the '07. (888) 252-3707
OCfjr - believe me, I have seen those bikes all in the cycle trader online. Ive checked ebay and the forums here and other places. The first 04 is owned by a private party, the 3rd is owned by a private party. Leesburg is roughly an hour and a half away from me, and they have 2. Daytona BMW has one, but thats over 2+ hours away, and I'm not familiar with Pompano Pat... I just dont want to call up a private party and say, hey Im interested in your bike, test ride it, and waste their valuable time to decide if I like the bike or not and then not even be interested in their specific bike for whatever reason. See what I mean?

automag - perhaps you should re-evaluate the dealers side of the equation about all the perils of just letting someone they don't know ride off on a either a new or used bike.

This is not car buying - it's motorcycles and it's DIFFERENT.

automag - perhaps you should re-evaluate the dealers side of the equation about all the perils of just letting someone they don't know ride off on a either a new or used bike.
This is not car buying - it's motorcycles and it's DIFFERENT.
I even suggested having someone follow me...Believe me- short of buying the bike (signing all the paperwork) and then riding it, I would have done anything they asked! I just didnt want to get ripped off on a used bike , then get stuck with it because I had already signed the paperwork

OCfjr - believe me, I have seen those bikes all in the cycle trader online. <snip>

I just dont want to call up a private party and say, hey Im interested in your bike, test ride it, and waste their valuable time to decide if I like the bike or not and then not even be interested in their specific bike for whatever reason. See what I mean?
Ok, I didn't realize you had your heart set on a new bike. You have to have an '06?

Nothing wrong with that, but if so, why?

Ok, I didn't realize you had your heart set on a new bike. You have to have an '06?
Nothing wrong with that, but if so, why?
No, actually I rather get a used bike with some farkles. Plus I like looking over the whole picture of the bike/owner. Sorry if that wasnt clear. I just dont want to test ride another individuals FJR to come to the conclusion I do/don't like the bike. I rather know before going over to someone's house, hey I love FJRs, I want blue and this, if there are no obvious problems, is the bike for me.

Eeeeeeesh..... Forum is getting f'in boooooooring!

Maybe we are just between the flood of "I winterized my bike!" and all the early spring "I crashed my bike!" threads.

Following the spring "I crashed my bike!" threads will be tons of "I can't wait for my '08!" followed by "The '08 sucks; is jerky; falls over!"

Then it begins again....

Scythian - great post, yea, lots of insight and tons of info and real helpful to boot... :rolleyes:

You like your FJR though right? Just want to make sure...

IF IT'S SO DAMN BORING - DONT POST! Are you just trying to get your post count up or something?

Scythian - great post, yea, lots of insight and tons of info and real helpful to boot... :rolleyes:

You like your FJR though right? Just want to make sure...

IF IT'S SO DAMN BORING - DONT POST! Are you just trying to get your post count up or something?

Sheesh, I think I see the nature of all the 'jerky throttle' complaints.....

On the other hand, you have me actually looking forward to the spring: "I crashed my bike!" threads.

<snip>... I just dont want to call up a private party and say, hey Im interested in your bike, test ride it, and waste their valuable time to decide if I like the bike or not and then not even be interested in their specific bike for whatever reason. See what I mean?
Who's wasting who's (valuable) time...?? :blink: :( :p

No, actually I rather get a used bike with some farkles. Plus I like looking over the whole picture of the bike/owner. Sorry if that wasnt clear. I just dont want to test ride another individuals FJR to come to the conclusion I do/don't like the bike. I rather know before going over to someone's house, hey I love FJRs, I want blue and this, if there are no obvious problems, is the bike for me.
This is like the chicken and the egg quandry. :D Sometimes you do have to ride the bike to know if you're going to want to buy one. Not me personally, I can't think of any time I rode a bike before buying it, but that's just me.

Go look at the private party bikes that sound interesting to you. Talk to the owner, check out the bike. If it still looks interesting, ask for a ride. This is part of selling a bike, just as much as being part of buying one. Some things look great in the paper, then you see the bike in person and it's not going to be one for you. Other times the ad leaves you so-so, but when you see the bike it's a gem.

IMHO stop worring about wasting someone else's time, while wasting a lot of yours!

Distance is relative too. I bought my FJR from a dealer 250 miles away, even though there is a Yamaha dealer a mile from my house. The dealer I bought from had a better price, but more important, a much better rep and known quality of people.