NorCal: Another MadMike Spur-of-the-Moment Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister
Reaction score
What a great time! Last Chance and I met at Starbucks in Elk Grove, I had my "usual": Hot Chocolate. Sacramento Mike and gfran joined us @ 1000 and we heades toward the Sierra Foothills.

The weather forecast was "cloudy". I called uberkul as we were suiting up to ask what the weather was like in the foothills. He says, "It's sunny at my house, what a great day for a ride."

So off we go, Eastbound toward the hills under cloudy skies and looking forward to some sunshine.

Here we are riding on Twin Cities Rd. (Hwy 104) under "cloudy" skies. At least it wasn't raining.

SonoraforLunchMar2908001.jpg

Riding through the rolling farmland I took this picture of a barn....just for OrangevaleFJR:

SonoraforLunchMar2908004.jpg

As we neared the town of Ione, CA, I took this photo of the old Preston Castle. Years ago it was a California Youth Authority prison where they taught the inmates different trades. It is now empty, deteriorating and still owned by the State.

SonoraforLunchMar2908006.jpg

We rode through Ione and crossed. Hwy 88 then rode to Buena Vista Rd. where I THOUGHT we were to meet uberkul and uberwife at the Buena Vista Market. I got a cell phone call from Brad, but couldn't make out what he was saying. Here are gfran and Last Chance standing guard over the bikes:

SonoraforLunchMar2908009.jpg

We waited about 10 minutes, then decided to head toward Jackson on Stony Creek Rd. We were all looking forward to breaking out of the clouds and enjoying the sunshine. In this picture we are crossing the bridge on the North side of Lake Pardee:

SonoraforLunchMar2908010.jpg

Here is gfran and the others following me across the bridge:

SonoraforLunchMar2908012.jpg

On the far side of the bridge the road makes a hard right (10 mph turn) and starts up into the foothills. This is a fun road, of course its waaaayyyy fun in when the weather is sunny and dry:

SonoraforLunchMar2908014.jpg

We got to Jackson and stopped at the rest area. The uberkuls came riding up...bringing the sunshine with them:

SonoraforLunchMar2908015.jpg

We then headed South on Hwy 49 to San Andreas. The ride leader (yours truly), Mr. Ham Hands, Klutzo-madmike2, managed to open the battery cap on the camera and proceed to drop the batteries when taking a picture. I pulled over at the top of Pool Station Rd. to install new batteries and the uberkuls pulled up to take a picture of the proceedings. Of course, I had to take a "test shot" just to make sure the camera was working:

SonoraforLunchMar2908016.jpg
Don't they look all "spiffy" in their riding garb, enjoying a Spring ride in the sunshine? Even Sacramento Mike is enjoying the day:

SonoraforLunchMar2908017.jpg

Here is the group following me down Pools Station Rd. It is waaaay kewel to have the riders spaced out in safe intervals. I can't tell you how frustrating it is on other rides when everyone "feels the need" to crowd other riders.

SonoraforLunchMar2908018.jpg

A couple of riders have asked, "How do you take those pictures while riding on the backroads?"

Well, here's an example. First, you hold the camera in your hand (Being very careful no NOT open the battery cover and drop the batteries. Doh!), point and shoot! Simple...see the mirror?

SonoraforLunchMar2908021.jpg

Then, aim a little farther up the road and you get this picture:

SonoraforLunchMar2908023.jpg

And then take one over your shoulder and you get this:

SonoraforLunchMar2908024.jpg

Of course, we are all enjoying the lovely sunny day promised by uberkul. Then we catch other vehicles that have the audacity to use "our" road. At least we didn't get passed by a scooter!

SonoraforLunchMar2908026.jpg

Just before Hwy 4, we passed this little homestead. Some people seem to enjoy the "provincial" way of life:

SonoraforLunchMar2908027.jpg

We turned West on Hwy 4 and left onto Obyrnes Ferry Rd. Here's a shot of beautiful downtown Copperopolis:

SonoraforLunchMar2908028.jpg

We headed farther South to the canyon where Obyrne once had his ferry. This is in the draw approaching the monument:

SonoraforLunchMar2908034.jpg

This is the bridge over the top end of Lake Tulloch, on the North fork of the Calaveras River:

SonoraforLunchMar2908035.jpg

The guys coming up out of the gorge:

SonoraforLunchMar2908036.jpg

Then we headed East on Hwy 108 toward Sonora. We stopped in Jamestown to call a Sonora resident to join us for lunch. The FJRs at the Chevron Feed Trough:

SonoraforLunchMar2908039.jpg

We continued on to The Peppery Grill for lunch:

SonoraforLunchMar2908044.jpg

Here are the FJR owners at The Peppery Food Trough. L-R: gfran, Sacramento Mike, uber-phographer and Last Chance.

SonoraforLunchMar2908041.jpg

After lunch we got ready to head North toward home while the sunshine is still with us. L-R: uberwife, Sacramento Mike's back, Last Chance's black-helmeted head, the Sonora resident who joined us for lunch and gfran:

SonoraforLunchMar2908042.jpg

Following the uberkuls in the sunshine on Rawhide Rd. (that circles West and North around Sonora) bypassing the traffic "mess":

SonoraforLunchMar2908045.jpg

gfran following me following uberkul (and pillion, uberwife):

SonoraforLunchMar2908046.jpg

The uber-team soon left the rest of us in their dust. We continued North on Hwy 49 toward home. This is a picture of part of beautiful downtown Calaveras (made famous by Mark Twain in his account of the Jumping Frog of Calaveras County:

SonoraforLunchMar2908048.jpg

All in all, it was great to be out riding and enjoying the company of other FJR owners. Even if Brad's promised "sunny weather" never materialized. We had sunshine in our hearts and minds.....

I wish the rest of you could have made the ride, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice job guys! I was kinda in the area and wish I could have met up with ya's.

I came through the Sierras this morning to a fair amount of weather (wet and spitting snow), dropped into the sacamento valley to cloudy but pleasant skies,

....was too far behind schedule to head to Elk Grove in time to meet you, but loitered on the Delta roads for a good part of the day (including time in an old favorite: Al The Wop's in Locke USA) .....hit some old favorites in Sacto tonight (Zelda's pizza, BD lounge and others) ...staying in sacto tonight and tomorrow an easy zig-zag up to the lake where we're celebrating Kathy's b-day.

Nice to see the pics of your ride, you were on some great roads, while not much sun ....spring is coming, no doubt about it. (or so they say!)

Nnnnnnice MadMike! It was like being there, but warmer. The roads appeared to be very dry though. Food shots? :unsure:
The roads were dry after the late morning showers abated. Interestingly, we had sun-in-the-face when LC and I got back to Elk Grove. It wasn't that cold, I was warm wearing my Gerbings jacket as a wind breaker under the Cycleport Mesh and I wore my vented Frank Thomas gloves because the insulated gloves were too warm.

No food shots, though others were taking pictures. :no2: You'll have to join us to see how well we eat! ;) I will tell you that the "Deep Fried Asparagus" appetizers were really good! :nyam:

[SIZE=8pt]I know those who had the Pastrami sandwich or the Peppery Dip sandwich were saying how good they were. My Clam Chowder & Salad (excellent w/ Balsamic Vinaigrette) were quite tasty![/SIZE] :lol:

Kewl report!
A crash club logo in the sig line and still takin' action shots over the shoulder... looks like something I'd do. :)
Crash Club logos have nothing to do with other abilities. More to do with exercising personal stupidity (like passing out from heat stroke) :eek: or being forced off the road by another errant rider. :(

Mike has issued us a tardy slip and we now have to go on a Saturday ride to atone. :angry: That Mike, he's tough! I think he's going to make us ride in the sun as well since fibbing about the weather shall not be tolerated. Thanks you sir may I have another.

After playing catch-up, the dumbest moto game I know, we hooked up with the group for a relaxing ride south.

Fresh batteries

272318625_MtRhb-L.jpg

The wild bunch head for lunch. Would you stand in these peoples way?

272318495_Vnf5r-L.jpg

Big Mike tries to hide behind his little camera, sorry but parts of you are poking out. Nice hat.

272318356_EbNpZ-L.jpg

Sorry we had to jet off coming back but the evenings commitment required the most direct route with haste.

Another good day with great peeps!

Hey I found it.. Thanks for sharing the pics. I always have a camera on me and never take any pictures. I need to work on that.

Hey MM2 and UberKul, Thanks for sharing the photos. It was a great day.

Here's a shot of Last Chance looking for the sunshine.

mlll.jpg

Very nice ride everything is green and all the riders are happy to be out and about

I will be looking for many of you next weekend for the ride up the valley. :)

Thanks for the great report Mike, and the pics from Brad and Gary too. I didn't get out today and was feeling the lack, but looking at these shots brought yesterday back and helped a lot. Hoping to make it next weekend up to Clear Lake and thereabouts too. I'll need another good fix by then.