Nylon windshield screws and a new Rifle shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
Tonight I installed my new Rifle windshield- clear, +5" higher, +4" wider. Installed late this evening, so I didn't take it for a ride... yet. I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam, so I'm tall above the saddle. At full windshield height, I'm looking through the new glass an inch or more down from the top edge. Finally, I hope, I'll have some peaceful riding.

But on to my question. Why are nylon screws used to secure the windshield to the windshield mounting system (same as OEM)? What is the advantage? I did notice it would be difficult to over-tighten them, right about where it felt like the screw was done tightening, the screwdriver tip would slip up and out of the slots on the screw.

Sometimes I'm a "belt and suspenders" sort of person. I can't help but wonder that I'd feel more comfortable if the windshield was secured by stainless steel screws backed with a rubber or nylon washer. Anyone else ever replace the nylon for SS, either out of necessity or just desire?

Anyone "in-the-know" out there about the mechanical properties and advantages to why nylon screws were spec'ed?

Thanks for helping to settle my curiosity and uneasiness.

If you hit something and throw yourself forward, or if the bike starts tumbling during a get-off, the windshield breaks off instead of just breaking and slicing your gut open.

If you're slipping the screwdriver in those, you're turning them way too tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nylon screws are made to give-way if you crash, so you aren't cut in half by the shield!

edit: too slow

Welcome in MN. You don't have to tighten those screws too tight. The seem to stick pretty good once they're just snug. If you tighten them too much the heads will snap right off - I've busted a few before I learned my lesson. Stick with the nylon screws and just make them finger tight with your driver.

Well, that then makes absolutely perfect sense. Safety measure. Thank you very much.

Bluesman- you're a sweetheart, thanks for showing the love, man! Ya see, a simple search of the "technical discussions" forum netted me nothing but useless crap for several pages, nothing that remotely answered my question of why nylon/plastic screws. But since a mod moved my question over here to the "NE" board (and I don't think this questions was pointless at all, look at the legitimate answers I received), why, shucky-darn, there are some solid answers.

Okay, I never actually overtightened any of the screws, and I used a #1 phillips driver in my Makita screw gun (just kidding, used a Milwaukee Hole Shooter 120v drill). Turned them right to the instant that I could feel the grip of the driver tip starting to not feel seated in the screw head, right at the instant the shield appears to be seated against the mounts. I used the plastic screws that came with the shield, and will safely tuck away the OEM's as extra for what sounds like could be an occasional sheared screw head. I'll check them periodically, at least at oil changes. And maybe at the end of this weekend, just to make sure.

Thanks for the help, Folks. Much appreciated.

p.s. #1 phillips hand held screwdriver was used, no power tools were injured during the installation of this windshield.

But since a mod moved my question over here to the "NE" board (and I don't think this questions was pointless at all, look at the legitimate answers I received), why, shucky-darn, there are some solid answers.
Shucky-darn, we thought you might have looked through the FAQ section built for newbies and suggested when you signed up. It's not a pointless question, but falls firmly into the recurring camp having been talked about many, Many, MANY times. ;)

Well, that then makes absolutely perfect sense. Safety measure. Thank you very much.Thanks for the help, Folks. Much appreciated.
Making sense is what the FJR Forum is all about -- especially on Fridays... :eek:

p.s. #1 phillips hand held screwdriver was used, no power tools were injured during the installation of this windshield.
Hand tools -- how quaint... :huh:

This is the 21st century, ya know... :blink:

OK, I'll confess.

5 years ago my FJR was caught, parked, in a historical hailstorm. Ice cannonballs fell from the sky. I am not exagerating. Many cars in the parking lot left on flatbed tow trucks because they were so totalled. My Feej however, survived with relatively little damage. I watched it all unfold from a glass entryway a short distance away and couldn't believe my bike was still standing after this. Well, here is what was damaged. A few dents (not bad) on the gas tank, A windshield button that has enough drag that I have to push it back to stop movement, a cracked lense on my Givi V46, and the winshield screws. In fact, the "w" trim piece was busted off of the shield and all but one of the nylon screws had sheered off from the windshield. I actually rode 30 miles home with only one plastc screw holding my shield on. Needing to ride the bike, I ran to the hardware store and got SS screws to put it back together. They didn't have the right size plastic. I have forgotten to do anything about that over the last 5 years and am still runing the SS scres. No damage to the shield in 40k miles. But I should probably put the safety feature back in.

mr.paul from Minnesota