O2 sensor chip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1fan

Reaction score
Anybody else seen these on ebay?

O2 sensor chip

My guess is they work like a very scaled down version of the PCIII. I like the fact that it is supposed to smooth out throttle response. Don't really need additional hp on the FJR. I assume that it's all at the expense of higher fuel consumption.

Did someone here try the chip that can report?

Ingo

Use the O2 chip in addition to this 13 hp power adder and you can outrun the new ZX-14. I'm absolutely willing to bet your money that the O2 chip works just as advertised :rolleyes:

Back to reality.... :lol:

Edited to add:

On second thought – The ECU will only operate within certain sensor limits, be it O2 or Ambient Air Temp. Anything outside the software program limits will cause the ECU to go into a default mode and work from a look up table. You should be able to duplicate a similar result by causing the Air Temp sensor to think the engine is always cold and run in the choke mode.

To make more power the engine will need extra air and long enough spark lead time to ignite the larger fuel/air charge as rpm climb. Adding extra fuel through lying sensors will actually reduce combustion temperatures and lower efficiency. Leaning out the mixture causes higher combustion temps and increased efficiency to a point. Dragsters have a ‘Lean-Out’ button to add power at the top end. The only down side to lean mixture is surging and melted engine parts. :erm:

The PCIII taps onto the fuel injectors after ECU processing and alters the injector pulses in a way that circumvents the ECU. The ECU still reads all the sensors and sets the basic fuel injection pulse, the PCIII only tweaks the pulse in minor ways. The PCIII should only add enough fuel to get around factory EPA safe spark/fuel mapping. The engine design will only allow in so much air and no amount of fuel will make more power with out air. Note that it is the Volumetric Efficiency design of the valve train and exhaust that limits air induction, no amount of air box rework will make much of a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
where do you put the whirlwind device? I wonder if its the same manufacture that I bought from for my E320? If it is, I just don't know where there is room to put the device.

Whirlythingi goes in the air intake tube or over the carb. For years engine designers have worked to produce a low swirl, laminar air flow leading into the intake manifold. Now we find out that what we really needed was turbulent, cyclonic air movement. Boy, bet all those engineers feel dumb now :blink: :wacko:

Two different things. Laminar into the box, turbulent past the injectors and into chamber.

You know, I always wondered about this. If the FJR runs lean in closed loop with the O2 sensor, I wonder if modifying the O2 signal would make a difference. I don't know how it works, though I believe it is 2-wire so it can really only change impedance. What if we added or subtracted (offset) a bias to the signal? Wouldn't that cause the ECU to think the engine is too lean and richen it up a bit? This would keep the FI running in closed loop mode (unlike PCIII), though I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing.

It looks like that is what this thing does. Not expensive either - any guinea pigs out there?

Hmmmm. Warrants more research. And please, posers with quick fingers need not respond.

-BD

Looking at this thing, they want you to cut the O2 sensor line and wire in series. Funk that. The only way I would try this thing if I could procure the stock connector set. It would be a matter of pinning up the "chip" and just pluggin inline. If you didn't want it, no problemo, just unplug and replug - would take two seconds once connectors were accessed.

Again, hmmmmmm. Interesting.

-BD

low swirl, laminar air flow leading into the intake manifold
That was carefully worded. Intake manifold turbulence = bad. Designed swirl/turbulence in the combustion chamber = good.

Save your money on the cheapie device. It will likely do little or nothing constructive. At best it will just richen the sytsem across the board which is not exactly what you want to do.

The style of oxygen sensor in the FJR is very basic. It is just an on/off switch basically. Actually, more of a battery would be a better analogy. When the mixture flowing over the sensor is leaner than 14.7:1 the sensor sends out no voltage to the ECM. When the mixture is richer than 14.7:1 the sensor sends a 1 volt signal to the ECM. Notice no mention was made of how rich or how lean the mixture. The sensor cannot tell and cannot signal how rich or how lean. It just says "rich" or "lean" via the 1 volt or 0 volt signal to the PCM. The logic inside the ECM, the closed loop control algorithm, must take the signal and decide what to do to the mixture to get it to 14.7. The switch point from 0 volts to 1 volt is very very narrow. At 14.75:1 it will send 0 volts. At 14.65:1 it will send 1 volt. It is that narrow.

The best analogy I can provide for explaining a closed loop system like this is to liken it to you taking a shower. You stand under the water and I hold the hot water control. You can only say "hot" or "cold" in a calm voice to relay your temperature. I have to react to your input. What do you want me to do? Write an algorithm or logic chart for me to follow based on your input and you will have designed a closed loop fuel control algorithm.

There is limits on how far the closed loop fuel control can adjust the fueling to the engine so there are limits as to what that device can do. I suspect it toggles the O2 signal falsely biaing it toward being lean most of the time so that the controller just richens up the mixture (to the extent it can).

Understand that there is a basic fueling table inside the ECM ( a map of the speed and load and fuel to deliver) that the system looks up a fueling value from and opens the injectors a corresponding amount. This always happens whether in open or closed loop. The closed loop system just starts to operate after the O2 is hot and toggling a signal to the ECM. Before that the system is operating open loop with no correction just using the basic fueling table calibrated into the system.

The PCIII disables the closed loop (that is why you disconnect the O2 sensor) so the system runs open loop all the time and never corrects. Then it takes the delivered pulse width to the injector, intercepts it, reads it and modifys it with an addition or subraction based on the table within the PCIII and then sends THAT pulse to the injector. The PCIII is like an aftermarket "closed loop" device that is just using the basic fueling table in the factory ECM and modifying it according to fixed instructions instead of feedback from the O2 sensor. Not a closed loop device but it modifys the fueling much in the way the closed loop fuel control system does. It is a neat workaround to the problem of hacking into the OEM controllers.

The device that jimmies the O2 sensor is nowhere nearly as sophisticated as the PCIII and can only bias the existing closed loop control. Realize that the closed loop control is only used at part throttle to keep the catalytic converter operating efficiently. About 98 percent of the fueling is provided by the open loop calibration anyway as the closed loop control will only correct for about 2 percent in most cases.

The engine is not really very lean, regardless. At 14.7:1 it is at chemically correct. and runs that way all the time. Engines in bikes used to be run at 15:1 or leaner much of the time before cats so 14.7:1 is not lean. Richer might "feel" a little better from a driveability standpoint but the engine is not nearly lean enough to hurt anything the way it is. At heavy throttles the closed loop control is ignored anyway as the sytem goes into power enrichment and the input from the O2 sensor is useless.

Some of the more modern car engines do use a "wide range" oxygen sensor that WILL provide richness and leaness information. Those will actually tell the ECM what airfuel ratio the engine is running at and can be used at all throttle openings but not the one in the FJR.

Did anyone look at this asshats other listings? They're almost all "Performance chips" for several vehicles, all using the same pic. Big time frickin scammer. IMO JB :angry:

a friend just dropped off some snake oil fuel stuff that improves hp and gets up to 35% better milage. smells like mothballs. it is distributed by some preacher in texas. maybe with the modified O2 sensor we can get 65mpg and 200hp.