Old Oil From Walmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems you just have people that "don't care" working at wal-mart.

And from what I've seen, they are not alone.

Add to the list of folks that don't care our OP here who didnt care about our enviromrnt when he tossed the old oil in a trash can.

People it seems find their lives more important than spending their time thinking about others...or just thinking in general. These are the same folks that roll their eyes when they find the checkout lines crowded and see that old lady writing a check ahead of them...

If I felt wronged or cheated I'd have no problem waiting in line to express my displeasure. If need be, I could always come back when it was less crowded.

Wal-marts "no question" return policy makes them stand out in the industry... It's just sad when folks take advantage of it. They are the ones I blame for this.
In hindsight, yes I should have left the oil next to the garbage can, not in it. I have a feeling you are retired? Just sounds like you have all the time in the world. Please dont group me in with the Walmartians, just because I chucked the oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxNgdFeWqM

I sympathise with your situation, but stealing from the store posed a potentially serious risk to your reputation and wallet if a store dick had seen you - not willing to wait in line is not a valid defense.
I dont consider that stealing. I paid for the oil. They stole from me, intentional or not. They also wasted my time and gas. The store "dick" would have wore the oil. How to recycle it then?
I think you need to up your meds. You're way over the top.

Chill dood.

I sympathise with your situation, but stealing from the store posed a potentially serious risk to your reputation and wallet if a store dick had seen you - not willing to wait in line is not a valid defense.
I dont consider that stealing. I paid for the oil. They stole from me, intentional or not. They also wasted my time and gas. The store "dick" would have wore the oil. How to recycle it then?
I think you need to up your meds. You're way over the top.

Chill dood.
Just venting a bit Wheaton. Pack a bigger bowl you say? owwww kaaay. :drag:

So ... go in grab 2 Qts of new oil and head for the CS desk.

The line is 15 customers deep ...

I figured I could just walk up and explain and walk out with the new oil.

NO. "There is a transaction to process and I will have to wait at the end of the line." Ya, ...
If you'd chosen to stand in the Customer Service line as #16, and Joe Smith, from just down the street,

had walked directly to counter and been taken care of, without waiting, ... how would you have reacted?

I'm guessing you would have appreciated Joe's assertiveness and simply applauded as he walked out past where the line used to be;

surely you wouldn't have pushed to the front of the resulting 15 person stampede towards the Customer Service counter.

Imagine you'll buy from a more local, small business source looking forward. We're all at varying stages of going down that road...

Last edited by a moderator:
their customer service is seriously under manned. That should be made illegal. It really should, for all stores.
That sounds like something an Ayn Rand antagonist would propose.

Better to spend your dollars at businesses which have the customer service you expect to pay for. Then Walmart will get the idea ... and improve or perish.
And what if they "all do it?" What if you have to drive an extra 25 miles so you can "better to spend your dollars?" what then?
That's a tough spot to be in.

Passing a law requiring businesses to staff customer service at higher levels will increase costs to the business which is passed on the consumers. It is unfortunate that your desire to pay more for better customer service isn't shared by the rest of the customers in your area. Although, like you, I would (and do) pay more for superior customer service, using political influence to force our neighbors to pay for something they don't want but which we do, is abhorrent to me.

So ... go in grab 2 Qts of new oil and head for the CS desk.

The line is 15 customers deep ...

I figured I could just walk up and explain and walk out with the new oil.

NO. "There is a transaction to process and I will have to wait at the end of the line." Ya, ...
If you'd chosen to stand in the Customer Service line as #16, and Joe Smith, from just down the street,

had walked directly to counter and been taken care of, without waiting, ... how would you have reacted?

I'm guessing you would have appreciated Joe's assertiveness and simply applauded as he walked out past where the line used to be;

sure you wouldn't have pushed to the front of the resulting 15 person stampede towards the Customer Service counter.
I guess I figured since I called ahead and explained everything to the CS clerk, they just needed the old oil bottles for their refund. I wasnt feeling more entitled than the others in line. Joe Smith, nice story. Thanks for your insight. :rolleyes:

BBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :comando:

their customer service is seriously under manned. That should be made illegal. It really should, for all stores.

Better to spend your dollars at businesses which have the customer service you expect to pay for. Then Walmart will get the idea ... and improve or perish.
And what if they "all do it?" What if you have to drive an extra 25 miles so you can "better to spend your dollars?" what then?

Passing a law requiring businesses to staff customer service at higher levels will increase costs to the business which is passed on the consumers. It is unfortunate that your desire to pay more for better customer service isn't shared by the rest of the customers in your area. Although, like you, I would (and do) pay more for superior customer service, using political influence to force our neighbors to pay for something they don't want but which we do, is abhorrent to me.

failing to see how this is "political"? What if the law is proposed and it's passed across party lines? I.E. No one votes against it? still political?

Or could it simply be seen as "better for Society?" Would it add to costs or would the Company "just eat the price" of the extra clerk? So let's say they don't... what's minimum wage? How will that increase my costs? by a penny? I'll take the expense rather than stand in line an extra 10 mins... anyday!

And where is the data indicating otherwise? Please indicate "It is unfortunate that your desire to pay more for better customer service isn't shared by the rest of the customers in your area"? where is there proof of that? And please don't cite some web site that one would have to sift through 10 hours of reading to find the reference. You said it specifically, cite it specifically.

You know it may very well be mismanagement too. They (these companies) have employees in the back that can run cash registers (returns), call them in front sooner. My point is simply, again, don't put all the employees on the sale and virtually none on the returns. It's not fair to those that need to return something. As consumers, we simply have "no choice" but to shop somewhere. If they all do a crap job with returns, which most seem to do! Force em! Make em! get off their bottom line asses and do the right thing for the customer!! Our time is valuable too! We are not just Sheep being led by the bottom line Business you know!

This is why you guys need to come to your local Auto Zone. We carry the good Mobil 1 in stock and some of our stores are even starting to carry motorcycle filters as well. Plus its helps that I will be a store manager again in a week and I ride as well so I can make sure you guys get the right stuff!!

failing to see how this is "political"? What if the law is proposed and it's passed across party lines? I.E. No one votes against it? still political?

Or could it simply be seen as "better for Society?" Would it add to costs or would the Company "just eat the price" of the extra clerk? So let's say they don't... what's minimum wage? How will that increase my costs? by a penny? I'll take the expense rather than stand in line an extra 10 mins... anyday!

And where is the data indicating otherwise? Please indicate "It is unfortunate that your desire to pay more for better customer service isn't shared by the rest of the customers in your area"? where is there proof of that? And please don't cite some web site that one would have to sift through 10 hours of reading to find the reference. You said it specifically, cite it specifically.

You know it may very well be mismanagement too. They (these companies) have employees in the back that can run cash registers (returns), call them in front sooner. My point is simply, again, don't put all the employees on the sale and virtually none on the returns. It's not fair to those that need to return something. As consumers, we simply have "no choice" but to shop somewhere. If they all do a crap job with returns, which most seem to do! Force em! Make em! get off their bottom line asses and do the right thing for the customer!! Our time is valuable too! We are not just Sheep being led by the bottom line Business you know!
AMEN!

This is why you guys need to come to your local Auto Zone. We carry the good Mobil 1 in stock and some of our stores are even starting to carry motorcycle filters as well. Plus its helps that I will be a store manager again in a week and I ride as well so I can make sure you guys get the right stuff!!
We have a new Autozone here Timberwolf. If they stock it, I will be more than happy to shop there. Thanks for the info.

Also keep in mind that are a lot of dishonest people in the world. I have seen it plenty of times were a customer has taken lots of time and effort into putting old oil back in the containers that it was purchased and make it look new so that he can get a refund therefore getting one over on the "Man" and he gets a free oil change. At least at the Auto Zones I have worked at I have trained the store staff into looking at all returns as suspect. This stops the problem of what happened to you from happening again. But Wal Mart is a super huge company and I am sure that some of the people they hire do not just care cause the job is getting in the way of their social life. But none the less it does happen across the board.

We have a new Autozone here Timberwolf. If they stock it, I will be more than happy to shop there. Thanks for the info.
Awesome. I know for the most part that the oil should be a stocked item. If they do not have the filter make sure to ask them about it. Cause they can order it and it should only take a day or two at most to get. Once I get back in the store I will post the part numbers for the filters. As of I know I believe we are carrying FRAM and Mobil cycle filters.

Add to the list of folks that don't care our OP here who didnt care about our enviromrnt when he tossed the old oil in a trash can.

People it seems find their lives more important than spending their time thinking about others...or just thinking in general. These are the same folks that roll their eyes when they find the checkout lines crowded and see that old lady writing a check ahead of them...

If I felt wronged or cheated I'd have no problem waiting in line to express my displeasure. If need be, I could always come back when it was less crowded.

Wal-marts "no question" return policy makes them stand out in the industry... It's just sad when folks take advantage of it. They are the ones I blame for this.
+1

Oil filters, all of the auto parts stores in this one horse town stock one or more of the following:

3323 bosch, PL14610 puralator, M1-110 champion. Bosch is < $7.00 everywhere anytime.

Go to Calsci(the windshield guy) he knows more about motor oil & filters for most any bike

than anybody, why pay $18.00 or more for a filter when you can buy a black bosch for many less $$$$$

In hindsight, yes I should have left the oil next to the garbage can, not in it. I have a feeling you are retired? Just sounds like you have all the time in the world. Please dont group me in with the Walmartians, just because I chucked the oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxNgdFeWqM

Sorry...if you shop there you are a "Walmartian" too....was surprised the "angry biker" storming out of the store was not on the video too...... :rolleyes:

Also keep in mind that are a lot of dishonest people in the world. I have seen it plenty of times were a customer has taken lots of time and effort into putting old oil back in the containers that it was purchased and make it look new so that he can get a refund therefore getting one over on the "Man" and he gets a free oil change. At least at the Auto Zones I have worked at I have trained the store staff into looking at all returns as suspect. This stops the problem of what happened to you from happening again. But Wal Mart is a super huge company and I am sure that some of the people they hire do not just care cause the job is getting in the way of their social life. But none the less it does happen across the board.
This entire thread was valuable to me, as I had no idea that this type of fraud was occurring! I will certainly be inspecting the seals of all oil containers I purchase from any store in the future. Thanks for the information!!

However, aggressively blaming Wal Mart for incompetency or for a lack of customer service could be a bit "over the top". When I shop at Wal Mart I realize that many others do too, and that, especially at busy times of a day, it may take awhile to get a product returned. When I've returned things, like tools, to Wal Mart I've gone directly to the Auto Maintenance section of the store (where folks having cars serviced go), and I've suffered no delays. But, hey that's just me.

What really sucks is that there are "citizens" out there that routinely dream up a multitude of ways to phuck everybody, including you and I and Wal Mart.

Too bad those folks exist!!

Again, thanks for the heads up!!

"As of I know I believe we are carrying FRAM and Mobil cycle filters."

Couldn't find a CH6012 at my local AZ last time I was there.

To the OP, I think Bram's post should seriously be considered the next time a retailer really pisses you off that much.

The only way to prevent this type of theft (returning the old oil as new) is to bring it to the attention of the store management so they can train their employees to look for it at the return desk.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is 'political' in nature by being a legislative solution to a market problem. Doesn't matter how non-partisan it is.

Companies don't just "eat the price". Business is a zero-sum equation: when expenses go up in one area, the business has to compensate by reducing expenses somewhere else, lowering salaries or raising prices. "Profit" gets funneled into higher salaries, expanding the business, rewarding shareholders, or saved for a future slump in revenues. The expense of hiring an extra clerk is going to come from somewhere, whether to do that how to pay the expense is up to the business, not you, me, or politicians.

The "proof" that others aren't willing to pay the higher expenses of better customer service is evident in your post that you have to go 25 miles to Wal-Mart's competitor, as nobody local has good service. Although, as you now know, there is a local AutoZone which might have what you need. That's great ... but it will cost you more than a penny. Wal-Mart probably sells much more oil than your local Autozone, pep-boy's, NAPA, Carquest, etc. With lower employee/customer ratio's they require higher profit margins on their products to sustain their business model's. Thus, why they sell Mobil-1 10w40 high-mileage for $9.59/QT when Walmart can do it for $5.80/QT. I can't find the 5QT jugs at small local places like I can at Wal-mart ... again, some evidence of the volume of sales and the benefit of lower prices on higher quantities.

Is it a managenent issue? Absolutely. But it could be driven by my higher levels of management than the local store. I could also be a challenge finding good help at the low wages Wal-Mart is paying. It is probably a very conscious business tradeoff Wal-Mart makes: they usually bring customers in with low prices and "one stop shopping", not on customer service. They've decided to piss off customers like you to bring in twenty other's instead.

It *is* about bottom line. That's why the business exists. It doesn't exist to employ people, provide healthcare insurance, or pay taxes. It isn't a charity. It competes for your dollars by providing the right mix of products, prices and customer service. Your choice is different from your neighbor's, and you can exercise that choice by shopping elsewhere.

And yes, oil can be purchased online and shipped to your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.