Oldest Rider You Know

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theirs a local guy here, I see him a couple of times a year, has to be pushing 80. Runs around town an old BMW mit der sidecar. Also has a whole stable of vintage bikes. Damned if I can remember his name right now.

But I remember the first time I met him. I was standing there having a coffee with a guy whose done some big adventures (Alaska, Translab, Europe, South America and New Zealand) and he wandered past about 800 blinged out Tim Hortons riding Harleys and a pile of squids on sport bikes. Paused and stared at our bikes for a few minutes. The he says...

"Ah-hah!" he says. "Real riders!"

"What makes you say that" Robin says.

"Your shifter pads are all worn, I can see rub marks where you've tied down gear on a long trips, and.. no chrome. Chrome don't get'cha home"

He's got some stories that one, but they only come out sometimes. He's more than a little 'bent'. You know the type. He's spent a lot of years on bikes living in his own head.

Zilla, do you really consider me old? When you see me next summer I will only be 73. That is quite a few years less than those 80 year olds. The quote button didn't work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jer and Petey...It's not that I consider you OLD...You're just the oldest guys I personally know that still ride. AND it's not like you ride from your house to the bar and back. You guys 'effin ride.

Quite honestly, it honors me to know all of you guys. Many of you are 20 or more years older than me and still living and riding more than most 25 year old guys I know. Shit...I hope in 20 or 30 years I'm still alive, let alone riding and living life the way you all do. I'll find me some 40 year old youngster and tell him tons of lies about the old days on my FJR!

Frigging Don almost lives to ride his MC, Joe has more bikes than most I know and we all enjoy the crap out of them. Like I said...I'm proud to call you guys my friends and thankful for the opportunities to hang out with you!

Zilla, the oldest rider I know is Bruce at 78. I am sure that Bruce, Petey and all the other old farts still riding appreciate your remarks. I know I do. I put a measly 8000+ miles on my new 2013 this summer. I will try to do more next season.

I am in Kalifornia know for the winter. I leave the FJR in Salem because I have to drive the wife and two cats down here and back and find other things to do while here. This is the wife that allows me to take as many trips in the summer as I want without questioning what I spend or how long I will be gone. She is a keeper.

This is the wife that allows me to take as many trips in the summer as I want without questioning what I spend or how long I will be gone. She is a keeper.

She's either a keeper or she has a Boyfriend!
tonguesmiley.gif

Zilla, the oldest rider I know is Bruce at 78. I am sure that Bruce, Petey and all the other old farts still riding appreciate your remarks. I know I do. This is the wife that allows me to take as many trips in the summer as I want without questioning what I spend or how long I will be gone. She is a keeper.
Jer, you and I are lucky men. My wife is a keeper as well because, I too have the freedem to ride where and when I want/like...
love.gif

there is an old boy from California who belongs to the Motorcycle Sport Touring Riders Assoc. (MSTA) and he is legend within that group.

He rides an SV-650 to the MSTA rallies around the USA and is about five feet tall and about the size of Granny in the Beverly Hillbillies.

I met him at the MSTA Rally in Kerrville Tx. in 2012 after he had ridden there from California.

He was 92 years old then and as full of piss and vinegar as one could be and just a hoot to talk to and be around.

My role model and who I want to be like when I grow up. Hell, I hope I am still walking at 92 - let alone riding. I bought him a drink that evening.

I wish I could remember his name.

there is an old boy from California who belongs to the Motorcycle Sport Touring Riders Assoc. (MSTA) and he is legend within that group.
He rides an SV-650 to the MSTA rallies around the USA and is about five feet tall and about the size of Granny in the Beverly Hillbillies.

I met him at the MSTA Rally in Kerrville Tx. in 2012 after he had ridden there from California.

He was 92 years old then and as full of piss and vinegar as one could be and just a hoot to talk to and be around.

My role model and who I want to be like when I grow up. Hell, I hope I am still walking at 92 - let alone riding. I bought him a drink that evening.

I wish I could remember his name.
Wow!!

Not just riding, but riding all the way from California to Texas at the age on 92 is just amazing!!!

My Mom is 91 and uses a walker to get around.

My friend John was at the Reuben Run on a new Can-am. He will be 80 on his next lap around the sun. His wife is one year behind him and she still enjoys the back seat.
Wow I'd have figured them both to be mid sixties.. You however, I had pegged near 90.

My friend John was at the Reuben Run on a new Can-am. He will be 80 on his next lap around the sun. His wife is one year behind him and she still enjoys the back seat.
Wow I'd have figured them both to be mid sixties.. You however, I had pegged near 90.
With the damage and abuse on the body, I feel 90 but in reality only 64.

If you guys want to meet a true treasure of a man - Bill Greene. The man has owned a BMW/Yamaha shop, still out-rides peeps in their twenties.

Check this out - but beware, you will spend some time looking at pix if you are really a rider who loves another who's whole life has been riding.

I will say this guy is truly a gifted rider in all senses of the word. Street. Dirt. Racing. Endurance. An incredible man and rider.

If you guys want to meet a true treasure of a man - Bill Greene. The man has owned a BMW/Yamaha shop, still out-rides peeps in their twenties. Check this out - but beware, you will spend some time looking at pix if you are really a rider who loves another who's whole life has been riding.

I will say this guy is truly a gifted rider in all senses of the word. Street. Dirt. Racing. Endurance. An incredible man and rider.
You ain't kidding. Thanks for sharing that.

I have stories about riding dirt with this guy.

He is mean.

Insidious.

He lies.

The next 'easy' stretch ain't no where close to the mileage he will tell you!
shout.gif

When you own a FJR, it's easy to get to know older riders. Always amazing the amount of gray hair and beards that emerge from the full face helmet on a FJR.