Parked FJR Hit And Run By Old Lady NWF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And in your case, the psychological effects that can last for much longer --(I don't mean that in a funny or sarcastic way at all)--it had to "suck out loud" (as someone else put it) to know you were going to be crunched and couldn't get out of the way in time --bummer dude

The law however does not make it easy to take this away currently in Colorado or anywhere for that matter and I totally agree with you.
Maybe a "grassroots" change thingie is in the offing....

Think I'll figure out how to contact my congress-person...

Sorry to hear about your inlaws, it is a very delicate and potentially explosive situation and I don't envy them at all

The law however does not make it easy to take this away currently in Colorado or anywhere for that matter
In California you can anonymously request that DMV retest your parents/inlaws/family members driving skills based on your observations and very shortly thereafter they will get a letter from DMV telling them to come to the office. If they pass the driving retest they continue on, if not their license is revoked and they are done. Some folks have compared it to a death sentence for the old people as they no longer have the ability to leave the house when they want and they start to sit around and waste away, others say it saves lives by getting them off the street. Really tough call for some people. :huh:

The law however does not make it easy to take this away currently in Colorado or anywhere for that matter
In California you can anonymously request that DMV retest your parents/inlaws/family members driving skills based on your observations and very shortly thereafter they will get a letter from DMV telling them to come to the office. If they pass the driving retest they continue on, if not their license is revoked and they are done. Some folks have compared it to a death sentence for the old people as they no longer have the ability to leave the house when they want and they start to sit around and waste away, others say it saves lives by getting them off the street. Really tough call for some people. :huh:
Do they verify that you're actually related? I'd love to send a request to retest some people I see around the road, neigbors, kids, etc.

Some folks have compared it to a death sentence for the old people as they no longer have the ability to leave the house when they want and they start to sit around and waste away, others say it saves lives by getting them off the street. Really tough call.
It really is a tough call and a no win either way type of debate. With that said, if someone cares enough about their relative to get them retested, then I would hope they would care enough to assist them if they failed the test. With the baby boomers screaming down the path toward "older age" the situation will get worse before it gets better. ..."death sentence for the old people" ...now this thread is becoming a bit of a bummer . :( ..however, I don't see where ignoring the problem hoping it goes away is the most prudent course either (not that you said that BlueWing) although that's what's been happening in this country with a few exceptions (like in CA)

While there are plenty of cases involving elderly people causing accidents they still are far better drivers than teenagers. That coupled with the fact that most of the legislators knowing that any restrictions they put on elderly drivers is going to affect them all too soon is why there aren't many laws regarding this issue.

Personally, I say raise the driving age to 18 and make the driving permit last for 3 years. :haha:

Easy to say since I'm 28 but it would have really pissed me off it is had happened when I was 16. :dntknw:

What hasn't really been brought up here is the fact that, as bad as some older folks drive, the general state of driver competence is absolute SHIT !!! Betcha you grab any 70 year old man or older, he may be slow on the reaction time, and maybe the vision isn't what it was, but he can probably outdrive 80% of the drivers out there 40 and younger, especially in inclement weather. He learned in a 51 Chev with a six and three on the tree, power nothing, and crap tires. At least he knows he isn't what he once was, and cruises slow in the right lane because he knows it. Meanwhile, the punk blasting by you, sitting half in the back seat, one hand on the cell, the other playing with the tv in the dash they call a radio these days, steering with his knee, having no idea what to do should the front push, or the rear get loose, or a tire blow, or a situation develop with the car in front, or to the side, other than to scream for his mommy and become a statistic. He thinks he's Gods gift to himself, and acts like it on the road every day. I'd rather deal with a road full of old folks who know their limitations, than some lady in a Suburban who thinks it's a rolling office/child care center/beauty salon.

What hasn't really been brought up here is the fact that, as bad as some older folks drive, the general state of driver competence is absolute SHIT !!! Betcha you grab any 70 year old man or older, he may be slow on the reaction time, and maybe the vision isn't what it was, but he can probably outdrive 80% of the drivers out there 40 and younger, especially in inclement weather. He learned in a 51 Chev with a six and three on the tree, power nothing, and crap tires. At least he knows he isn't what he once was, and cruises slow in the right lane because he knows it. Meanwhile, the punk blasting by you, sitting half in the back seat, one hand on the cell, the other playing with the tv in the dash they call a radio these days, steering with his knee, having no idea what to do should the front push, or the rear get loose, or a tire blow, or a situation develop with the car in front, or to the side, other than to scream for his mommy and become a statistic. He thinks he's Gods gift to himself, and acts like it on the road every day. I'd rather deal with a road full of old folks who know their limitations, than some lady in a Suburban who thinks it's a rolling office/child care center/beauty salon.
I 3rd Rad's input! :fans:

Do they verify that you're actually related? I'd love to send a request to retest some people I see around the road, neigbors, kids, etc.
Yes they do check to see if you're family, however the complaining party is never identified. It appears to be a random notice to the individual. Keeps your neighbors from calling in and ragging on your driving. <_<

From an L.E prospective, I recommend that you file the report asap, list the info that you know now inc. a witness statement by the attendant, then just add the further info as you get it on Sunday. Makes it look less like you're just trying to hang the damage on someone. Don't forget the camera, for taking photos of her vehicle in the damage area.. Probably damage to her car and hopefully paint transfer evidence on her car.Check the convienence store and the resturant for cameras. There may be footage of the sexy senior tapping your bike.Good luck

Holy crap, that's funny! :taunt:

-BD

I agree with Rad but I've seen the carnage firsthand of too many elderly people who suffer from SAS.. Sudden Acceraltion Syndrome. A department store in Parkersburg West Virginia years ago and a local jewelry store here in Dallas about 3 years ago. The funny thing about that one was the women actually got out of her car INSIDE the store and asked the clerk if she knew where the jewelry store was located. The carpet had skid marks from her front wheels spinning once the car was stopped by the counter and pillar. Fortunately no one was hurt in the second incident - the first incident nailed a couple of people on the sidewalk when the old man jumped the curb and crashed into the building while he was trying to parallel park.

I know I'd go crazy if my license was revoked because of my age.

The Radster hit it on the head about the kiddies... as attested to by my stepson's recent foray into the ancient study of vehicle dynamics. However, having just returned from Florida where we celebrated my mom's 80th (and her twin sister's, too), I can unequivocally state that the septa and octogenarians plodding along in the right, center and left lanes make for excellent pylons for which to practice my gymkhana moves...

Of course I too agree that there is a lot to be said for learning vehicle control in a rear drive, bias ply shod, row-your-own on ice covered roads. (My apoligies to all my old neighbors whose lawns I tore up while training for the WRC...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also agree with Rad as he stated it...

However, the competent ones would still have their licenses after the retesting and they are not really the "older folks" being discussed. You have to prove competence to get your license when you first get it; then you can spend the rest of your life fucking up along the highways and byways (as long as you renew your license every few years, of course). I would also be madder than blue blazes if I were to lose my license because of the incompetence that can come with advanced years. Though if it kept me from hurting someone else (something we'd never know since I wouldn't be driving-eh?) then it's worth it. I do believe that it's societies duty to protect us from ourselves where possible. Not much can be done (pre-event) for the inattentive, speeding, drunk etc ones except arrest and punish when caught (as said before) and revoke driving privledges where allowed by law. If someone is not competent to drive at their baseline capacity, (for whatever reason) then they should not be allowed to drive.

@yamahlr: the officer was on the scene within 15 min took report, witness statement, due to be there Sunday also. No mark on side of bike where she hit it (must have hit the frame slider) - hoping for frame slider dent in her bumper-thanks for the advice though

by the way----the MOKOs paid for themselves last Sunday :D

In my neighborhood not 2 miles from my house is the light I got hit at while stopped on my vstar by a woman. She was not elderly and not her excuse. She was blinded by the sun and not my point here.

Anyway same light a gentleman in an old full size car like a tank had an epileptic seizure and in front of them at that same light was a political figure in our area and his 2 kids. That car ran over them completely killing all 3 of them.

To me he should not have had his license with that type of condition but since it is suppose to be controllable with medication nothing to be done.

A truck driver if ever has a heart condition will never drive a tractor trailer again and I agree with that but shouldn't medical conditions apply to cars as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a diagnosis of a seziure disorder can cause a loss of license. I don't know any particulars about any laws but I know people who are not allowed to drive because of that diagnosis here in VA -----It's Prob. up to the MD-but I don't know...

Toophast

Latest posts