PCA Givi Topbox Rack, E250 Adapter Plate and PCA bacrest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
Hard to keep up w/ all the various versions of the PCA racks and backrests! I have a Givi E52 case w/ the Givi lights and have a question that an e-mail to/from and phone call to PCA still hasn't answered as definitively as I would like (Dan at PCA wasn't exactly sure). I am looking at both PCA's Sport Touring Rack and Givi Topbox Rack primarily because I really like the looks of these combined w/ their Passenger Backrest and because they allow for more rearward location of the topbox than the Givi mount which I have. I sort of prefer the smaller size of the Topbox Rack over the Touring Rack. Because I will be taking the box on and off and would like to avoid the scratches that would inevitably appear on the PCA Givi Topbox Rack if I used the PCA Topbox Mounting Kit, I'm leaning toward the Givi E250 Adapter Plate (I know it costs $63 vs $19 for the PCA Mounting Kit). When the Givi topbox is not on the bike I would want to have the PCA Passenger Backrest on for my wife. My question is, can the PCA Passenger Backrest be easily installed and removed from the PCA Givi Topbox Rack if the E250 Adapter Plate is in place? My concern is that the E250 Adapter Plate might interfere w/ accesssing screw holes necessary for installing/removing the PCA Passenger Backrest. From looking at pictures of the latest version of the PCA Givi Topbox Rack it would appear that the 3 triangle-arranged screw holes for attachment of the backrest would be well in front of the E250 Adapter Plate and not be covered in any way. However, all the pictures I find w/ the E250 Adapter Plate on a PCA Givi Topbox Rack appear to show the Plate on an earlier version of the Rack w/ only 2 holes, which sometimes appear to be infringed upon by the Adapter Plate. Does someone have the arrangement that I'm looking at and could answer my question based upon firsthand knowledge/experience? Finally, another thought is that I might be able to install a Givi electrical contact plate in the E250 Adapter Plate to reproduce the easy on/off w/ electrical connection made/broken that my current Givi mount allows. Anyone else considered or tried this? Otherwise I'm sure I could rewire things and come up w/ a workable solution to restore the lighting. Thanks for any info/help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's similar thread right now: clicky

I have the mount installed, and just recently installed the light kit to put brake lights on the E52 I have. It has two contacts on the case and the base-plate, so when I put the case on, it's connected.

Works great.

There's similar thread right now: clicky
I have the mount installed, and just recently installed the light kit to put brake lights on the E52 I have. It has two contacts on the case and the base-plate, so when I put the case on, it's connected.

Works great.

Thanks for your reply. I have the same arrangement as you. The problem is that w/ the Givi SR357 mount the topbox sits too far forward. I am looking at the PCA products because they accomodate a backrest when the topbox is not in place and allow for the topbox to be moved more rearward when it is in place. I have been following the thread you mention and reviewed countless others and none speak directly to my question Perhaps my verbosity is hindering ubderstanding of my question so I'll break it down:

1) Can the PCA Passenger Backrest be easily installed and removed from the PCA Givi Topbox Rack if the E250 Adapter Plate is in place? (Current versions of both products)

2) Has anyone tried installing the Givi Z880 brakelight electrical contact plate for the Givi E52 topbox lights in the E250 Adapter Plate so that you have the easy on/off electrical connection that the Givi SR357 mount provides?

I appreciate the replies I have received thus far to my earlier posts but none of them or the threads I have been referred to have answered my question. Perhaps my verbosity is hindering understanding of my question so I'll break it down:
1) Can the PCA Passenger Backrest be easily installed and removed from the PCA Givi Topbox Rack if the E250 Universal Adapter Plate is in place?

2) Has anyone tried installing the Givi Z880 brakelight electrical contact plate

1. No. I think one or the other. The adapter plate has 4 bolts to hold it on the rack and then 4 tiny screws to hold the flush mount cover on it - hides the bolts. I have these and either the backrest is on or the adapter plate is on.

2. Can't help here. I have the E52 never put lights in it.

Ask Duane at PCA he is a great help.

MartyA, Thanks for yor reply. Do you have the most recent version of PCA Givi Topbox Rack or an earlier version? And, do you have the backrest? I have seen pictures of an earlier version that has just 2 holes behind the most forward slot that I imagine the backrest stem passes through. The 2 holes appear further towards the rear of the rack than the 3 triangle-arranged holes I see in pictues of the current version of the rack. The only pictures of an E250 Universal Adapter Plate on a PCA Givi Topbox Rack that I have found are on the earlier version. The angle of the pictures is such that I can't tell if the Adapter Plate doesn't infringe upon the 2 holes. I spoke w/ Dan at PCA and he gave me the same answer you did - that is he didn't "think" that the backrest could be easily installed/removed w/o removing the Adapter Plate but it was clear that he wasn't certain. I like the smaller PCA Givi Topbox Rack as compared to the PCA Sport Touring Rack and like the idea of the plastic Adapter Plate because I've heard that the racks scratch easily if you frequently take off and put back on the topbox. It may seem like I'm belaboring the point but I'm just trying to get an "I know" rather than "I think". I'll give PCA a call and ask to speak w/ Duane as you suggested. Thanks again.

Chastising veterans isn't going to win you many friends here.
His point of "In Before the Lock" was more related to the common sense idea that you shouldn't start a second thread because you didn't like the answer in the original. The proper method would be to clarify your question in the original thread.

So, this thread is closed as it's a duplicate. You want to keep talking about this issue....use the original.

I hope you can heed the advice of some very helpful regulars in the future....otherwise you might find yourself dogpiled and have a very unpleasant experience. wink.gif
And for some, every day is Friday.

gameboy.jpg