Penske 8983 initial settings from Traxxion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrik

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been searching for hours but have found nothing, wondering if anyone has an initial setup numbers from Traxxion for a 8983 shock for someone 185-190 lbs. Thanks a bunch

Mavrik

i did think of that and even thou i am a customer of theirs, i bought this shock second hand and i don't think the initial purchase was thru them so i could see them being reluctant to give me starting numbers.

I installed one from Traxxion last winter. Didn't really come with any settings. The pre-load was set for 200lb rider, but the compression and rebound was set 'in the middle'.

The sag was right on so I didn't want to mess with pre-load too much, however, as I mainly ride solo with just rain gear and a few tools in the saddle bags, I ended up backing it off a couple of turns as the rear was a bit 'harsh' over broken pavement.

What numbers are you looking for?

Al.

HA....I have looked at those but didn't know if traxxion had a set spot for compression and rebound. Your in sandown, small world my good buddy lives there.

hahahah...i will i talk to him every day....he lives near the police station,down that side road...thanks by the way :}

I think if I bought a used Penske, I'd just go ahead and send it to traxxion for a rebuild to my specs.

Not all penskes are created equal. I have 2. 1 is out to rework while the other is on. Just installed #1 after being weworked by KfG. I have always liked #1 better then #2. KFG took some notes on #1 and will try to make #2 as good when I send it in. KFG called me at 6 PM on a Sunday to discuss likes/dislikes. Go to work. I can't dial the sob in for you.

ok .....guys...another dumb question...the preload collar has three threaded holes that i thought suppose to have a set screw....or am i wrong and this is not needed to stop the collar from backing off?