Penske Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSrider

Reaction score
I decided yesterday that is was time to install my new Penske 8983 but realized that the stock bolt does not fit the lower mount of the Penske. The stock Yamaha bolt is much larger than the holes in the Penske. Is the penske available with different mounts or are they all the same?

I started drilling the Penske mount but did not have a bit large enough to complete the job. I guess it is time to go get another favor from my friend at the machine shop.

Has anyone else run into this and if so what was the work around?

I decided yesterday that is was time to install my new Penske 8983 but realized that the stock bolt does not fit the lower mount of the Penske. The stock Yamaha bolt is much larger than the holes in the Penske. Is the penske available with different mounts or are they all the same?I started drilling the Penske mount but did not have a bit large enough to complete the job. I guess it is time to go get another favor from my friend at the machine shop.

Has anyone else run into this and if so what was the work around?
Mine bolted right up, no drilling required :dntknw:

You paid good money for that Penski shock, contact Penski to get the right part.

If you bought it used you should send it to them for a service/rebuild. Have them set it up for you, your bike, your riding style. There is a lot of intricate parts in there that work as a whole. When it's set properly internally the external adjustments should give you all the range you will ever need to dial it in. Set up improperly and you will never get it to work as advertised.

When you get it back it will install without any grief.

Good luck

You paid good money for that Penski shock, contact Penski to get the right part.
If you bought it used you should send it to them for a service/rebuild. Have them set it up for you, your bike, your riding style. There is a lot of intricate parts in there that work as a whole. When it's set properly internally the external adjustments should give you all the range you will ever need to dial it in. Set up improperly and you will never get it to work as advertised.

When you get it back it will install without any grief.

Good luck
Well it's obvious I have the wrong clevis on the shock, but it will fit and work fine when I get it back from the machine shop tomorrow.

I got the shock on ebay for $142.00 it was missing the bits from the bottom so I ordered them and had a local shop do a rebuild on it. I will be discussing the clevis problem with them next time I am in the shop.