penske shock install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panayoti

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of what the penske resorvoir mounted with the GP bracket looks on the bike ?

I just finished installing the shock and can't figure out how the bracket mounts.

thanks

Does this help? It goes in behind the passenger footpeg bracket.

IMG_0884.jpg

Bill

Same idea but i put mine so the cylinder bracket was in front of the brace (ie 180 degrees opposite).

IMG_8102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Penske shock with the remote reservior as well, love it. I also got the reservior mount system, which is very well made but it put the reservior in a position that I didn't care for as I like to sometimes rest my heal on the passenger footpeg bracket.

So I made a different bracket and moved the reservior to a position inside of the passenger footpeg support.

Before:

PICT0038.jpg

Bracket made of 3/16 thick extruded aluminum "L" stock:

PICT0051.jpg

After:

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

There are no issues with the rear tire coming any where close to the bracket and reservior, and it's been working fine for thousands of miles.

Enjoy the new shock!

I have the Penske shock with the remote reservior as well, love it. I also got the reservior mount system, which is very well made but it put the reservior in a position that I didn't care for as I like to sometimes rest my heal on the passenger footpeg bracket.
So I made a different bracket and moved the reservior to a position inside of the passenger footpeg support.

There are no issues with the rear tire coming any where close to the bracket and reservior, and it's been working fine for thousands of miles.

Enjoy the new shock!

Great idea LP!! Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job LP. Does your side case still fit ?

I went with the location shown by 6mmbr, the only down side is the end of the res. and hose are close to my heel with the ball of my foot on the peg.

As usual lots of good input by members of the board.

Thanks again

Nice job LP. Does your side case still fit ?
I went with the location shown by 6mmbr, the only down side is the end of the res. and hose are close to my heel with the ball of my foot on the peg.

As usual lots of good input by members of the board.

Thanks again

The side case fits fine, in fact it's easier to install with the reservior totally out of the way.

I was afraid I was going to damage the hose end with my foot, and like I said I like to rest my heel on the passenger peg support.

With this mod the reservior is out of the way of everything.

Looks great!

How easy is it to get the adjustments on the front side of the can? I was just eying this spot for my remote reservoir, only on the left side of the bike.

Have you disconnected the dog bones and lifted the rear wheel to make sure the clearance is there?

Brodie

Looks great!How easy is it to get the adjustments on the front side of the can? I was just eying this spot for my remote reservoir, only on the left side of the bike.

Have you disconnected the dog bones and lifted the rear wheel to make sure the clearance is there?

Brodie

Brodie,

On my shock the way the hose to the remote reservior is oriented to the shock body there isn't really a way that it can be put on the left side of the bike.

On your second question I'll presume you're refering to the location that I mounted mine; yes there is plenty of space between the rear wheel and the reservior. The only small IMO downside to my mounting location is it gets a little dirtier in wet conditions from the rear tire. Adjustements to the reservior are very easy and accessable.