PHID"S install tip's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Hi everyone... I scored a set the other day from a forum member. Does everyone have theres yet, just wondering.... :p :p :p

Warchild did a install and is on the FJR tech web site. I did find a easy way to flip the igniters. I think Dale used a small file are grinder. This stuff is like bakelight type plastic and breaks easy. I used my soldering iron to melt a notch in the plactic. Then you are able to run the wires out the other side. I still have to finish up the wiring, an hour or less it will be complete.

I was able to stack the ballasts on the left side on top of the headlight. I used velcro on the one that sits right on top of the headlight. I had to cut the tabs of on the second one and use a small piece of velcro and a zip tie to hold it in place. You just want to be careful not to let the windshield motor hit it when it goes up/down. Here's some pic's... Smitty

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Does everyone have theres yet, just wondering.... :p :p :p
No word yet. The group buy guy, BLM Accessories, does a piss-poor job of running a business, IMO. His website, which does not display any prices or have a shopping cart system, also does not allow you to contact him, you must send a message which he may return eventually, but he has been fairly expedient about answering emails to [email protected]. Last update was June 29 and he said he's expecting them the second week of July, which has come and gone without any new info. Maybe the fact that the people charged with delivering the goods have all been paid and are off to bigger & better things has something to do with it. If this BLM character folds up his operation we will all have very little means to track him down. He's on the hook for $25k of our money at this point.
It sure makes one appreciate operations like Sport Bike Effects!

Good on ya for getting some lights and sharing the tech info with us, Smitty. :clapping:

Edit- sent him a message:

Bill,Any word on when we might get these? As of your last update they were supposed to be ready the second week of July, which has come and gone without any more info.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I competed the install, and went for a early breakfast ride to.....Arkansas. A 240 mile one way for the best in B's and G's, eggs, the works at the Angler's Inn in Allison Ar. These lights should be call the eyes of Satin, there just plain bad..in a good way. They are so bright, it's crazy. The only thing bad I can say is, when you go from high beam with the PHID's to low beam without the PHID's it is like putting a bag on your head. It gets dark you wonder what happen...

I also used the Topgun brackets from FJR Goodies, and the lights do not shake or move around. I did buy 2 bolts from the plastic panel on the side of the fuel tank(part # 90149-05299-00) . The stock bolt with the allen head that goes thru the bracket on the back side is to short. These look like they should be there. I am very happy with the install, and with the light output of these monsters.... I put a toggle switch and hooked it up so I can have them on all the time, off, or on with the high beam switch. :yahoo: :yahoo: Smitty

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

The lights are everything and above is good to hear. If I could get my $ back from group buy I would....

HEY anyone want to buy some lights already paid for and you may never see? :(

The lights are everything and above is good to here. If I could get my $ back from group buy I would....HEY anyone want to buy some lights already paid for and you may never see? :(

Once you get them and have them installed and working you will be impressed. There great. :) Smitty

The lights are everything and above is good to here. If I could get my $ back from group buy I would....HEY anyone want to buy some lights already paid for and you may never see? :(
I think he's selling them to the higher-paying customers until he gets enough extra sets to deliver. If he answers my message I'm gonna demand a phone# :realmad:
I'm beginning to worry about this one.

Strong work, Smitty!

TC, I talked to him by email before I found this set from another forum member. He would sell me a set for $675. and had them in stock. I quess the ones in stock he is selling to retail (price) buyers.

TC, I talked to him by email before I found this set from another forum member. He would sell me a set for $675. and had them in stock. I quess the ones in stock he is selling to retail (price) buyers.
Another forum member told me he ordered a set last Monday and had 'em by the end of the week. I expect to hear from Bill M. tomorrow.

Another forum member told me he ordered a set last Monday and had 'em by the end of the week. I expect to hear from Bill M. tomorrow.
I sure hope this is'nt the case .... But for me road trip changed to a plane ticket the result of having the hid low beams only at this time and unknown when lights would arrive. An updated explaination is a minimun BLM should provide. Well, the install photos will help when.... I need to look at them again. TC if you find out 38 sets are on hand and 38 sets is your buy limit at full price.... let us know.

Nevermind - I don't want to even remotely critize a group buy, expecially when I missed it.

I sure hope this is'nt the case .... But for me road trip changed to a plane ticket the result of having the hid low beams only at this time and unknown when lights would arrive. An updated explaination is a minimun BLM should provide. Well, the install photos will help when.... I need to look at them again. TC if you find out 38 sets are on hand and 38 sets is your buy limit at full price.... let us know.
I empathize with your frustrations waiting for these HID lights. Something to consider is that BLM and his US importer don't carry inventory for a large group-buy by a group of motorcyclists. These lights are for a very small world wide market and are manufactured outside the US and imported to the US.

That being said, regulat status communication by the vendor to all group-buy participants would be a huge positive for BLM.