Philips 1157 Vision LED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastern5

Reaction score
For what it's worth. The Philips LED is on the left and OEM on right. I should not have to ever change those again.

SNC15504.jpg

Did you only change one because of the ABS problem? I have plans to put a resistor in series with the lights sometime soon. Wondering if it should be on the running light or brake circuit?

Did you only change one because of the ABS problem? I have plans to put a resistor in series with the lights sometime soon. Wondering if it should be on the running light or brake circuit?
If you have LED brake lights, you need a resister in parallel (not series) with the brake lights so the ABS computer is happy. It may be possible to use a suitably wired relay instead.
You need nothing for LED running lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense. Do you have an idea on the value of the resistor required?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mcatrophy" data-cid="1285747" data-time="1454022187"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="worney" data-cid="1285745" data-time="1454021541"><p>Did you only change one because of the ABS problem? I have plans to put a resistor in series with the lights sometime soon. Wondering if it should be on the running light or brake circuit?</p></blockquote>If you have LED brake lights, you need a resister in parallel (not series) with the brake lights so the ABS computer is happy. It may be possible to use a suitably wired relay instead.<br />

<br />

You need nothing for LED running lights.</p></blockquote>

In my '08 when I replaced both lights with LED's the ABS started throwing an error (flashing the ABS light). I think that there isn't enough load from the LED's and the computer thinks the regular bulbs are burnt out. I am going to try and add a load (resistor) to the circuit to make the computer think that the bulbs are fine.

It's been a few years since I tried fitting LED brake lights. Like others I found the ABS was not happy with that set-up.

I stuck variable resistor in the circuit and found that it needed to see about 11 Ohms.

If you stick an 11 Ohm resistor in parallel with your light it will pull about 1.25 amps (at 14 volts) every time the brakes go on.

Not a big deal in itself but you will be generating something like 18 Watts of heat so make sure that resistor is not close to something that doesn't like heat!........

i have not gone out for a ride since. what will happen actually? Will the motorcycle become unsafe to ride for short distances? just to see if the "abs" will indeed start to call error.

Makes sense. Do you have an idea on the value of the resistor required?...

... about 11 Ohms.
If you stick an 11 Ohm resistor in parallel with your light it will pull about 1.25 amps (at 14 volts) every time the brakes go on.

... generating something like 18 Watts of heat so make sure that resistor is not close to something that doesn't like heat!........
I'd certainly accept Donal's value, the cold resistance of a stop-light bulb is less than 1 ohm.

As Donal says, you need to dissipate a fair amount of power. I'd suggest looking for a resistor of the style shown in the pic below:

Use its flanges to bolt it to a flat bit of metal, mount that somewhere where it can see some fresh air even if the bike is stationary.

i have not gone out for a ride since. what will happen actually? Will the motorcycle become unsafe to ride for short distances? just to see if the "abs" will indeed start to call error.
The motorcycle will be perfectly safe to ride, the brakes will work fine, BUT I don't know whether it will continue to activate the ABS should it be necessary.

Yep. ABS flash. how did I miss this thing needing resistors? I guess I was more excited that it's "legal". buying more parts, yea.

I should never try and do this on my phone...

Anyways, I want the increased life of the bulb. Years ago I had a bike the ran through tail lights like crazy. I got pulled over in the middle of no where and the officer let me know it happened again. I could have been easily run down by someone.

-----------------

All for what? 2 more lumens than the OEM bulbs? A good flashing LED light would be much more conspicuous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should never try and do this on my phone...Anyways, I want the increased life of the bulb. Years ago I had a bike the ran through tail lights like crazy. I got pulled over in the middle of no where and the officer let me know it happened again. I could have been easily run down by someone.
Fair enough!!