PILOT POWER tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocha

Reaction score
This is intended to be an open ended threat with the purpose of reporting on the wear and tear of the Micheline's PILOT POWER tires. This thread originated >>>HERE<<<

________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't like the thread as it looks more prone to cupping than the Pilot power.
2247302-plus1.gif
On the tread appearance. Now go be a good guinea pig and keep us informed!
PILOT POWER tires: So far, so good!!!

I replaced the tires and took Pandora for a spin.... GOLLYGOSHDARNIT-HOLLYCRAP, what a difference! The new pilot power tires are SCHWEEEETTTT as I'll get out. The original 'stones were fine at first, but the front became cupped too early. The rubber on the 'stones seemed a bit hard on the pavement, It feels like Pandora went from leather sole shoes to highly cushioned sneakers; it softened the ride considerably!!! BTW, I put 36psi on the front and 40psi on the rear tire, same as the 'stones.

Another change I noticed is that with the 'stones there was some vibration of the handlebars that could be felt at most speeds, now the handlebars are almost vibration-free (I still have the original bar ends). However, this could also be attributed to the anal-retentive balancing I did on the tires.

The 'stones front tire would howl every time the bike leaned ever-so slightly. The howling is now gone!!!

After 6800+ miles, the 'stones had about 2/32 of thread left on the front and about 1/32 on the rear.

The new Pilot Power's thread depth starts at 5/32 on the front and 7/32 on the rear. I will be reporting the wear and tear on this thread as time goes by (I intend to do it every 1000 miles).

Last edited by a moderator:
Had Pilot Sports when I bought the bike and the rear only last approx. 1500 mi. Front is still going at approx. 5000. I'm going to Pilot Powers next on the front and keep the Pilot Road on the rear. Seems to be a good combo! The Road has approx. 3500 mi. it so far and still looks good. Seems to stick fairly well also. I run the Powers on my R1 for street use and the Pilot Race for the track. I find Mich. hard to beat seeing my friend is the Mich. race tire dist. here in Fla. lol

Great idea FJRocha...

Real world testing by multiple riders about various products pertaining specifically to the FJR...

I sense a new topic area..

Hope you guys don't ride much in or close to the triple digits. This bike is too heavy for these tires. It will start weaving at high speeds. Not to the point it gets scarey, just not as planted as it should. It also eats up the rear in <3500 miles.

Hope you guys don't ride much in or close to the triple digits. This bike is too heavy for these tires. It will start weaving at high speeds. Not to the point it gets scarey, just not as planted as it should. It also eats up the rear in <3500 miles.
I've had it to 130 and not a problem. Steady as aq rock on the Sports. We'll see on the Powers. I've seen people run them at the track (FJR) and loved them! I agree don't think they'll last long on the back, thats' why I use the Road. On the front though, I think it'll be fine. Besides, when I want to go really fast, I've got the R1.

I'm going to Pilot Powers next on the front and keep the Pilot Road on the rear. Seems to be a good combo!
2247302-plus1.gif

The reasoning is good. I may have to try that once my Prellis wear out. Just put a new one on front and have another new front waiting in the closet behind it. Should be good, front-wise, for about 20,000 miles. Planning an "E" spec Pirelli for the rear as soon as they are available, but maybe a Pilot Road after that. I'm hoping to get 5500 miles out of the "E" so time will tell.

Well, I've got Pilot Powers on my '97 Blackbird and am putting them on my '03 Blackbird. The Bird is about 550 lbs wet (less, but not dramatically less than the FJR) and makes almost 140 HP at the rear wheel. I've had the '97 at 155 indicated (probably a 7% error) and it's been rock solid on the Powers. Can't get more than about 4000 miles out of a rear tire, though.

Afterburn speaks of the crappy tyres they have to deal with in Yurup. They have all those zany HP restrictions and use the tyres to help curb the Death Wish Syndrome that Yur-o-pe-ans have... To the contrary, we get the good shit on this side of the pond. ;)

Afterburn speaks of the crappy tyres they have to deal with in Yurup. They have all those zany HP restrictions and use the tyres to help curb the Death Wish Syndrome that Yur-o-pe-ans have... To the contrary, we get the good shit on this side of the pond. ;)
So that would mean he needs to by U.S. Spec tires? :bigeyes:

Whats the scoop on Pilot Roads both front and rear for the FJR?

Also, was the earlier post warning about riding in the triple digits pertaining to the speed or the temperature of the day?

The Spring and Summer is quickly ariving. In So Cal the road temps can eat tires fast and be too grippy. Maybe this can account for some wobbels at higher speeds as the tires ware down. I would think that the harder rubber in the center bead of the tire would help balance things out.

Are Pilot Roads or Pilot Powers the best way to go for the FJR? I would think that is a factor of Sticky vs. longer mileage. Am I missing something?

Serious question, I am about to get new ones........

Pssst.........

[SIZE=7pt]Don't get the Pilot Powers, they make you crash. Hee hee.[/SIZE]

I would highly recommend Avons..........

But if you must go with the faggoty-assed French tires, I would highly recommend the Pilot Roads. They are more suited for the FJR IMHO.

Your sticky vs. life assertion is pretty much spot on. But unless you have a burning desire for a really sticky tire cause you ride your FJR like you stole it 110% of the time, I am betting the Pilot Roads will be the better choice.

Still..........we do need some guniea pigs to try out the Pilot Powers (without crashing ;) ) and report back the results.

Pssst.........
[SIZE=7pt]Don't get the Pilot Powers, they make you crash.  Hee hee.[/SIZE]

I would highly recommend Avons..........

But if you must go with the faggoty-assed French tires, I would highly recommend the Pilot Roads.  They are more suited for the FJR IMHO.

Your sticky vs. life assertion is pretty much spot on.  But unless you have a burning desire for a really sticky tire cause you ride your FJR like you stole it 110% of the time, I am betting the Pilot Roads will be the better choice. 

Still..........we do need some guniea pigs to try out the Pilot Powers (without crashing  ;) ) and report back the results.
Doooooood! That's so cold! Fer shame kicking a guy when he's down! :p By the way, how's yer off road prowess these days? BWAAAAAAAAA! :lmao:

Now, go consolidate all those lame-ass '06 threads, wouldja?! :fuck:

Why doesn't anyone like the new metz z6's?...they seem very popular in Europe & believe it or not,.... on the whole they ride & corner alot harder then those of us in North America..

I used the Road rear and Sport front combo on the FJR, through two sets of tire rotations. They averaged about 6500 / 7000 per set. I moved on to the Avons and seem to be getting a little better wear rate from them.

Why doesn't anyone like the new metz z6's?...they seem very popular in Europe & believe it or not,.... on the whole they ride & corner alot harder then those of us in North America..
I like them.

I just replaced my rear Z6 tire with 6700 miles on it

I have experienced no problems at all.

The front has over 7000 miles on it and is still in good shape - no cupping

The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to check the rear tread depth, as it has no tread in the middle of the tire

And Now for something totally different.... they are offering up a new series of the Pilot Power tires.... Pilot Power 2CT

Pilot Power 2 CT

Will it never end.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The first generation Pilot Powers were OEM on my beemer K12S. Seem sticky as hell. Don't have enough miles on them yet to assess wear rates. Stay tuned as weather improves.