Plugfones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20150428_205320.jpg

Question: How do you insert earbuds/earplugs with a full-face helmet? Straight OSHA non-wired earplugs are no problem, but my helmet always pulled out the earbuds for the iPhone; that's why I haven't had music in my hat to this point.
Would love to have earbuds to listen to music and to dampen external noise. The combination should also mean higher-quality music.

https://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

Here is what i did to solve that problem.

senabase.jpg

I reinforced the base with sugru, though I'm sure other products would work as well. https://sugru.com/ No affiliation other than I've used that stuff on all kinds of things. It's not cheap, and don't order a bunch cause it goes bad after about 6-8 months of non-use.

But yes you gotta support that stupid thing, the wire wrap/cover that they use just cracks and splits and then you're sunk.

You said you went with earfuze and the are OK, probably a 6.5-7 our of 10. But save your pennies, even a the shure 215's at $99 (prime) are better, probably 9-10. The fact that the cord goes around your ear means you don't catch the cable on something and pull them out of your ear.

Honestly on a motorcycle with all the other ambient noise the difference between those and the $300 se425's is negligible.

The only other caution is that depending on the helmet you have you likely need to make modifications. On my Nolan 104 I had to be very careful not to pinch the cable that retracts the sun screen. But if you had the speaker mount you already know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what i did to solve that problem.
senabase.jpg

I reinforced the base with sugru, though I'm sure other products would work as well. https://sugru.com/ No affiliation other than I've used that stuff on all kinds of things. It's not cheap, and don't order a bunch cause it goes bad after about 6-8 months of non-use.

But yes you gotta support that stupid thing, the wire wrap/cover that they use just cracks and splits and then you're sunk.

You said you went with earfuze and the are OK, probably a 6.5-7 our of 10. But save your pennies, even a the shure 215's at $99 (prime) are better, probably 9-10. The fact that the cord goes around your ear means you don't catch the cable on something and pull them out of your ear.

Honestly on a motorcycle with all the other ambient noise the difference between those and the $300 se425's is negligible.

The only other caution is that depending on the helmet you have you likely need to make modifications. On my Nolan 104 I had to be very careful not to pinch the cable that retracts the sun screen. But if you had the speaker mount you already know this.
Thanks Matt. That stuff looks cool. I may employ both yours and AJ's method of protecting that plug. Just checked out the Sugru website. Interesting stuff.

The Shure 215's are excellent. And as noted, the over-the-ear monitor-style implementation means they don't come out easily when putting your helmet on. They also don't get uncomfortable in a snug helmet as regular buds sometimes can. The leads have a reinforcing sheath for a few inches out from the monitors themselves, and the entire cord is heavier duty than any earbuds I ever encountered. I've used my set almost daily for 5 months now. They're as good as new.