PNW Spring Tech Meet #16 - May 14th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auburn, looks like I'm just just going to meetup with those meeting at the Carnation Starbucks beforehand...just need to get a sense of how risers or Helibars feel in order to do away with that last little bit of doubt about making the change from my cruiser ways...the six-speed tranny took away the lion's share, and confirming a more comfortable upright position will guarantee a 2017 purchase of a '16 leftover (and my presence at next year's event
smile.png
) .

Auburn, looks like I'm just just going to meetup with those meeting at the Carnation Starbucks beforehand...just need to get a sense of how risers or Helibars feel in order to do away with that last little bit of doubt about making the change from my cruiser ways...the six-speed tranny took away the lion's share, and confirming a more comfortable upright position will guarantee a 2017 purchase of a '16 leftover (and my presence at next year's event
smile.png
) .
If you can make it that's fine. Several folks come that don't have FJRs to see what people have done to theirs and to talk about the bike they are considering.

Sign me up! This'll be my first tech meet since buying the FJR in October. I'll plan on doing the TBS since I'm at 12,000 miles and finally swap out the OEM tires for some PR4's (surprised the OEMs made it to 12k). Dave from Microsoft highly recommended the tech meet.

Sign me up! This'll be my first tech meet since buying the FJR in October. I'll plan on doing the TBS since I'm at 12,000 miles and finally swap out the OEM tires for some PR4's (surprised the OEMs made it to 12k). Dave from Microsoft highly recommended the tech meet.
Hudson? Yea he really is quite the story teller. Come on down TBS are US! :)

Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday May 14th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycler - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

CONFIRMED: Dave Hodges (original owner of GP Suspension) and Barry Wressel (current owner of KPG Racing) will be here at noon to give a talk about suspension. Dave will be staying for a few hours afterward to talk about suspension

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pizza or spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart +2

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Ahchiu

MCRIDER007

Fontanaman

samamoto

Salish1300

wingshot

JamesW

SeattleTy

Horsefly

n2osx +1

AdamK

audiowize

lonewolff

PhatAir4Me +1

harper

roadtrip

RC65?

PigPen

El Cajone

Brick626

Curly Joe

KMW?

samamoto

JER

allrider +1

redneckj

majbach

pnwsauce

List is updated

I'll be there with the wife to meet and greet. Coming from Marysville, but somewhat familiar with Auburn. I worked at the Boeing plant there for a couple years.

I'll be there with the wife to meet and greet. Coming from Marysville, but somewhat familiar with Auburn. I worked at the Boeing plant there for a couple years.
Be in Carnation at the Starbucks at 7:45 as some of us meet for Coffee then ride down together or at the Shell at 7:00 in Monroe where a few of us meet to head for the the Starbucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be in Carnation at the Starbucks at 7:45 as some of us meet for Coffee then ride down together or at the Shell at 7:00 where a few of us meet to head for the the Starbucks.
There's a group of us meeting at the Monroe Shell, corner 2/203 at 7A.

--G

Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday May 14th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycler - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

CONFIRMED: Dave Hodges (original owner of GP Suspension) and Barry Wressel (current owner of KPG Racing) will be here at noon to give a talk about suspension. Dave will be staying for a few hours afterward to talk about suspension

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pizza or spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart +2

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Ahchiu

MCRIDER007

Fontanaman

samamoto

Salish1300

wingshot

JamesW

SeattleTy

Horsefly

n2osx +1

AdamK

audiowize

lonewolff

PhatAir4Me +1

harper

roadtrip

RC65?

PigPen

El Cajone

Brick626

Curly Joe

KMW?

samamoto

JER

allrider +1

redneckj

majbach

pnwsauce

List is updated
Fellow attendees I was going to work a half day Thursday and just rail on up since my ride has an appointment at the day spa Friday (read KFG Racing) however I just found out my wife took Thursday off entirely so...

Riders of the Rueben Run or just riders in the know, given I have all day to meander my way up there what is going to be the best (read twistiest) route to Auburn. I did just pick up a used ZUMO 660 for a buck n a quarter which I know nothing about but if ya had a gpx file thingy I might be able to thoroughly piss myself off trying to figger it out
smile.png

Do you have any favorite stops along the route?

Thanks!

JP

The direct, fastest way is 313 miles, 5 hrs 34 mins, over to I5 in Portland then the slab.

I would ride north to Hood River, west to Carson, north on nf-3062 to nf-25 and on to Randle. From there east to Hwy 123, north to Hwy 410. 340 miles 7 hrs 45 mins. WAY more fun!
smile.png

Bend-to-Tech-Day.jpg

If you go with Panman's route, which is great too, I'd go Bickleton Hwy. It's Destination Highways DHWA25. The 25th best road in WA State. :)

DHWA25.jpg

Bickleton.jpg

I haven't done 25 for awhile as it is getting pretty beat up. My old body doesn't like it much.
I had heard they worked on it some a few years ago but I can't say what it's current state is. I do know the road up to Windy Ridge has really deteriorated. :( Really a shame! That used to be a great reason to ride 25 in the first place.....

I haven't done 25 for awhile as it is getting pretty beat up. My old body doesn't like it much.
I had heard they worked on it some a few years ago but I can't say what it's current state is. I do know the road up to Windy Ridge has really deteriorated.
sad.png
Really a shame! That used to be a great reason to ride 25 in the first place.....
Need to check with the forest service, the road is probably closed still due to snow. (I am thinking of the FS25 road behind Mt. St. Helens that comes out at Randal.

Be in Carnation at the Starbucks at 7:45 as some of us meet for Coffee then ride down together or at the Shell at 7:00 where a few of us meet to head for the the Starbucks.
There's a group of us meeting at the Monroe Shell, corner 2/203 at 7A.

--G
I'm thinking the Monroe meet will work best for me. Thanks!

I had heard they worked on it some a few years ago but I can't say what it's current state is. I do know the road up to Windy Ridge has really deteriorated.
sad.png
Really a shame! That used to be a great reason to ride 25 in the first place.....
Need to check with the forest service, the road is probably closed still due to snow. (I am thinking of the FS25 road behind Mt. St. Helens that comes out at Randal.
Looks like nf-25 is closed for the long term due to flooding damage.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices/?aid=31991