Popping sound when lifting to center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, what Ross said. What do you mean by "recently worked on?" Does that mean you reinstalled them and a week later you started getting this noise? I would be HIGHLY suspicious of the shock's internals.

PM redneckj about this pop sound. He showed me his GP forks making a popping sound when fully extending the forks and was gonna take it back to have them look at it (they're local here). Not sure what they came up with, but he can probably give some insight.

You just had the forks reworked? How long after did the noise start?
If VERY recent, I'm betting on something amiss inside the fork.
Right, what Ross said. What do you mean by "recently worked on?" Does that mean you reinstalled them and a week later you started getting this noise? I would be HIGHLY suspicious of the shock's internals.
The noise started long before I sent the forks off for rebuild. That's one of the reasons I sent the forks off for service.

PM redneckj about this pop sound. He showed me his GP forks making a popping sound when fully extending the forks and was gonna take it back to have them look at it (they're local here). Not sure what they came up with, but he can probably give some insight.
Will do, Thank You.

The popping sound continues to get louder. Making it more frustrating is that sometimes I can just move the forks bar to bar while on side stand and it pops. After the pop, it won't do it again until ridden.

16.jpg
Getting closer to finding the source. Discovered if I gingerly remove my phatt arse, leave bike on side stand... then pull upward on the RHS frame slider/foot peg combo, CRAAACK.. Tonight I actually got 2 CRAAAACKS out of it. Tomorrow, will remove lower tupperware and inspect the engine mount. IIRC that location is a weak part of the frame..

Last edited by a moderator:
That would tell me, the loud Pops are coming out of your phatt ass.

Coulb be, your just getting old, and any exhersion resuts in high velocity gas excaping your rectal cavity,

Please consult Bustanut, cause He is the biggest ASS we have on the forum.

16.jpg
Getting closer to finding the source. Discovered if I gingerly remove my phatt arse, leave bike on side stand... then pull upward on the RHS frame slider/foot peg combo, CRAAACK.. Tonight I actually got 2 CRAAAACKS out of it. Tomorrow, will remove lower tupperware and inspect the engine mount. IIRC that location is a weak part of the frame..
Dang!

I have a mysterious squeak coming from somewhere in the car ... but I'm not asking YOU to find it :D

In the next installment ... Putting it all back together!

That's why I asked if that's current. If it's from the transplant, ok. If that's yesterday, then he's been a busy guy.

I'm hoping your engine mount isn't cracked, but from the description, it doesn't sound good.

That's why I asked if that's current. If it's from the transplant, ok. If that's yesterday, then he's been a busy guy.
I'm hoping your engine mount isn't cracked, but from the description, it doesn't sound good.
If it is, a new motobike is in my future...

..but I'm hoping it's just the pinch at the bolt..

Did you check engine / frame mounting bolt torque, ft end parts, axle, etc?

Can you get someone to make the movements with the bike (that causes the noise) as you focus on the area both listening and "feeling".

Being that loud, and getting worse, it shouldn't be hard to isolate..

Good luck.

Hey Don, how is your Pop going.

I was wondering if you use a top box at all, and if so do you tend to overload it?

there have been a few instances over here where the stresses from the top box has actually caused the subframe to crack under the rear seat. Could this be the source of your pop when lifting it onto the centre stand? just a thought. I don't do it too often.

cheers mate

It's yer Phatt Ass, ya silly MOFO!!!
finger.gif
Yah know what, I could gain 100 and still not equal you! :fuck:

Did you check engine / frame mounting bolt torque, ft end parts, axle, etc?
Can you get someone to make the movements with the bike (that causes the noise) as you focus on the area both listening and "feeling".

Being that loud, and getting worse, it shouldn't be hard to isolate..

Good luck.
Front fork alignment, tightened and torqued to factory specs. Steering head bearing service. Clean, lube center stand, externally e.g. not removed and done 'right'. Off to the engine mounts now.. good idea. And yes, I have neighbor coming over to assist. Too bad he's deaf...

Hey Don, how is your Pop going.I was wondering if you use a top box at all, and if so do you tend to overload it?

there have been a few instances over here where the stresses from the top box has actually caused the subframe to crack under the rear seat. Could this be the source of your pop when lifting it onto the centre stand? just a thought. I don't do it too often.

cheers mate
Ahh, another good idea.. but I've already been re-enforced.. and don't load heavy anymore..

If ya need a new bike Don, OM Ray and I will help you find the Wing of your dreams.
as in attached to a Kotex?
flirt.gif

SOLVED??!

Popping identified as originating here - at the frame slider / engine mount. Loosened the clamp, loosened the slider/engine mount bolt, removed the inner collar, applied anti-seize to all, re-torqued using a calibrated right wrist-wrench, tightened pinch bolt.. Rode and lifted with lowers off, no POP. Installed lowers, did a half-dozen lifts, no POP. Now I can clearly hear the centerstand creak, it needs a full service.. but that's another thread.

In a few moments will be off for a longer test ride, let the engine and frame come up to full temperature then lift and listen for POP. My unscientific guess is that this area may have had captured energy due to thermal positive coefficient of growth. Applying vertical force allowed the bound energy to POP in order to relax to a normal condition.

Excellent!

So was the engine mount loose or just misaligned/shifted over time?

(Similar to re-setting the lower forks pinch bolt after ft wheel removal?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not loose at all.

Threads look great, good coverage of anti-sieze, no corrosion, even 3 years after engine transplant. No evidence of frame cracking. I'm thinking the pinch bolt might have been tightened first, then engine bolt. Some hoehandle tech probably did it wrong when the transplant engine went in. Of course, I would NOT know who that hoehandle might be... :whistle: (moi) This is just a guess.

It's also possible the engine shifted just a bit.. This FJR gets a little rougher treatment than most due to 6 miles of washboard dirt road nearly every day..