Problem changing from 2nd to 1st while rolling to stop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sporall

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that my bike is developing an issue when changing from 2nd to 1st at low speed. Clutch stays engaged and I might be coming down from a higher gear without issue until I try to select 1st. On the lever, it feels like it comes up against a stop. Sometimes I can clear it by letting the clutch out as I come to a stop. I also notice that around this problem, selecting neutral can be an issue with false neutrals. Is there anything simple behind this do you think or is it needing expert attention? Bike is a 2008 with 19k miles.

Cheers.

Start with the easy stuff. At the lever there is a brass bushing. Remove it, check to see if it has worn, if so replace it. Then clean it, grease it and reinstall.

When was the last time the clutch fluid was changed out? It's worth doing a bleed with fresh fluid. Also cleaning and regreasing the shift lever and its components does wonders for smoother shifting.

had the same thing, later the other gears start acting strange too, check if the shift lever goes in neutral position, otherwise, like Whooshka wrote, cleaning and greasing the lever did the trick, now as smooth as butter

Thanks for all the tips. At a first glance and before I start working on this, I notice the gear lever has a slow return to its rest position and feels 'gummy'. The clutch lever pivot I'm guessing has also not seen any grease for a while. I've no idea how old the clutch fluid is, so that's on the list too.

Thanks for all the tips. At a first glance and before I start working on this, I notice the gear lever has a slow return to its rest position and feels 'gummy'. The clutch lever pivot I'm guessing has also not seen any grease for a while. I've no idea how old the clutch fluid is, so that's on the list too.
Emphasis added...looks like you found the issue! Take things apart, clean well and add a dab of lithium grease!

Good luck!

~G

There's a brass bushing in there. Remove it, clean and lube it before replacing. Clean and lube all the mechanical contact points in the lever's "pod". If the center of the bushing is out-of-round, replace it. They are common and not expensive. R&R annually.

That looks awful!!. Did you remove the brass bushing, clean and lube it? (Replace if worn or galled)
The rubber diaphragm should be washed with soap and water and dried thoroughly. Going to take a bit of flushing to get that system running clean again. Not much wonder you were experiencing problems.

1713702065105.png

That looks awful!!. Did you remove the brass bushing, clean and lube it? (Replace if worn or galled)
The rubber diaphragm should be washed with soap and water and dried thoroughly. Going to take a bit of flushing to get that system running clean again. Not much wonder you were experiencing problems.

View attachment 6873
Yes, it needs replacing. I shall order one later today. For now it's all cleaned and greased. My gear shift is no longer damped either, it snaps back into place nicely. UPDATE: Snickety gear service is resumed and 1st is happy 👍😁

Last edited: