Project Bike - CCT Fail - Engine Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
08FJR4ME, with enough time and money, anything is possible. It won't be known if physically there's a fitment issue unless someone makes an attempt at it. The cases have different part numbers between 2015 and 2016; who knows what they changed.

Then there's the gear shift indicator and the display on the bike issue, etc...

Ok folks - Sorry about the lag in updates to my progress. I've had a rough couple of months with some personal issues.

Sometimes the garage can be very therapeutic. Nuts, bolts and a good project can make the days go by.

So --- Great news! The FJR is back on the road! She runs great, shifts great and puts a smile on the face when pulling hard in third gear.

I did use the whole gear-set from the old motor. Splitting the case and replacing the parts wasn't so bad. Clean case halves and good bonding material yielded zero leaks.

Thanks to all who posted prior projects, as well as sent encouragement during my project.

Now I have an exploded motor in the garage that I can't put back together. I'll probably put it up for parts...

I can't wait for it to cool down a bit so I'll ride more.

BZ

Regarding second gear: If you are experiencing the following symptoms:

*The bike produces a jerking sensation which occurs only in one (or only in certain) gear

*The jerking occurs only above a given load level (if you use less power, it stops, if you use more, it gets worse)

*The feeling is like it briefly jumps out of gear and immediately back in, but in a repeated cycle.

...You are most probably dealing with a set of worn locking lugs (aka "dogs"). In the case of second gear on the FJR< these will be in/on the second gear "wheel" (output shaft gear) and the 5th "wheel" (also on the output shaft). These are normally very slightly undercut so the gears "hold in" under a load, but when the undercut of the lug wears and becomes reversed, they push away from each other instead, deflecting the shift fork until they disengage, then, with the load temporarily gone, the fork springs back and re-engages them. Then the do it again. The fork will be damaged by this, so don't neglect replacing it as well.