Proper Tire Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeG308

Reaction score
While I know the owners manual requires 42 psi on the back and 39 psi on the front however, I seem to wear the front tire quicker than the rear. Perhaps the front tire pressure should be reduced to 35 or 36 psi to lessen the center wear out. I tried the reduced air pressure today and the handling seems fine. Thoughts??? What air pressure are you using?

Lookie here: tire pressure site:fjrforum.com for hundreds of posts asking the same question.

Front Tire Wear: Will be dependent on air pressure, brand of tire, your riding style and how much freeway riding you do compared to twisty roads.

Tire Pressure: You'll find that the answers will be all over the map. Most of us are running 40/40 or 42/42 or a combination of those pressures (for instance, I run 42 rear/40 front).

U fast MM2.

I too run about 41psi front and rear. I got this info from this forum. It seems to have helped in reducing flat spot on center of tire on long slab rides, and reduced overall wear. You will sacrifice some grip (contact patch size and flex) having the pressure that high.

Interesting, the Metzeler website is suggesting the following for the FJR:

Front Rear

120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL ROADTEC Z6 G Front - 32 PSI 180/55 ZR 17 M/C (73W) TL ROADTEC Z6 C - 36 PSI

Very different from the 39 and 42psi in the owners manual.

I've always used the tire manufacturer's recommended pressures for the bike; not the bike manufacturer. One time I tried it both ways with the same tire and the tire manufacturer's recommendations gave me better mileage.

Front Rear

120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL ROADTEC Z6 G Front - 32 PSI 180/55 ZR 17 M/C (73W) TL ROADTEC Z6 C - 36 PSI

Maybe that's why I don't like the stock Metzlers, I have them over inflated.

After this summers riding they're gone!

At Two Wheel Nut's suggestion, I began running 43 front and rear. It was a different bike. With my RoadSmarts, I mostly run 42 front, 43 rear. Never had any issues or traction problems, but I sure can tell if they are low.

I've always used the tire manufacturer's recommended pressures for the bike; not the bike manufacturer. One time I tried it both ways with the same tire and the tire manufacturer's recommendations gave me better mileage.

Front Rear

One very important thing to keep in mind about the manufacturer's pressure numbers marked on the side of the tire is that they are MAXIMUM values for the load condition...not recommended to be exceeded. If you are operating at that value then you are living somewhat on the edge. Keep in mind that most low end pressure gauges "lie" in that they are not calibrated closely and if you put yourself at the maximum with a "lying" gauge, you COULD find yourself operating at pressures over the design limit. For almost all tires you can put on this bike, the "best" pressure (your call using what's important to you: mileage, handling, etc.) is unlikely to be the maximum.

Just sayin'

W2

I don`t like running on the max. I use 36 front and 40 rear. Tried several differnt combinations, found these suited me best. Always carry my own gauge so even if it`s out, I still get consistent pressures.

Different tyres, different pressures, its all personal preference, try-out to find-out.

The lower pressures were what Yamaha was promoting for Gen-I bikes. They've clearly learned something overt the years because the Gen-II are recommended 42/39 - and I would never listen to the tire company, but rather to the vehicle's manufacturer since only he knows what the dynamics of the machine are.

If you are wearing out your front quickly, you should try raising the pressure - less flex, less heating.

I run 42 Rear, 40 Front.

Likewise I follow Yama. My Metzler Z6s were one of OEM tires that Yama put on the bike and said they tested extensively. Good enough for me: 39 front, 42 rear.

Latest posts