R1 fork swap for any gen FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendron

Reaction score
I was perusing the Craiglist ads and I happened-upon one for some R1 forks and brake calipers. It got me thinking, is this swap possible? It'd get you the USD forks everyone seems to want. Obvious problems for this that I can see is probably a custom or swapped lower clamp (that's assuming that the top is the same diameter as stock FJR fork tubes) and custom brackets to mount the fender. And of course I have no idea about axle/wheel compatibility, they sure look similar. I'm just considering this a fun brainstorming activity.

Ad here: https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4272179437.html

R1Forksjpg_zps7165ec61.jpg

The front wheel and rotors are included:

R1Wheel_zpse87b06c3.jpg

Hell, it's worth it just for the price they'er asking!

Don't forget, the FJR fork tubes are 48mm, so you'd need to compare that to the USD R1 uppers to make sure they'd fit the FJR triple clamps. After that, it's pretty much a mechanical excercise.

Go for it, and keep us up-to-date on the project!

I found that the inners on the R1 are 43mm, so I'm thinking the outer tubes are gonna be a bit stouter than 48.... Also, my imagination (never having actually seen them laid side by side) wants the R1 forks to be a bit shorter as well.....

All good stuff! Like I said, it's a thought experiment at the moment. Hell, the forks in the OP are in Denver and I live in Phoenix. I don't even know if I'd WANT to do it, but I thought it'd be fun to discuss here.
blushsmiley.gif

Well guys, chances are, since it's a 2004, the metering block on his ABS is probably fuxored, so the ABS sensor won't matter.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I'm going to try and go see these this weekend and figure out what it will take to do a switch.

I just checked they are no longer posted

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the inners on the R1 are 43mm, so I'm thinking the outer tubes are gonna be a bit stouter than 48.... Also, my imagination (never having actually seen them laid side by side) wants the R1 forks to be a bit shorter as well.....
Yeah, and the inner on the FJR is 48mm, who wants to field test a reduced size tube on the fat lady?
no.gif

20070722_stoppie_crash_moto.jpg

Interesting exercise but I think money and time would be better spent getting the existing forks upgraded.

Everyone is so enamored with the idea of upside down forks. They are great on bikes, but this not a sport bike and OEM from the factory, if not ES, would be undersprung for most anyway. Nothing the normal $1k fork job doesnt already fix.

Dang, those are some old R1 forks. Not even got the radial mounted brakes. Hrm, I have a set of those in my garage somewhere....