RDL is a class act

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer Down Brown

Reaction score
So I bought a 2016 FJR and my first serious outing after some farkeling was to go to Forksville PA from Harrisburg NC for a sandwich. Nothing like a couple of 600 mile days to bond with a new bike.

In short, the seat was a royal pain in the butt. When I got home I called RDL to discuss their seat and ask if he could help me. As soon as I said FJR and 29" inseam he said that I was comfortable getting the balls of both feet on the ground and I agreed. I mentioned that I just couldn't be any higher.

He said that as much as he wanted me to buy a seat, his seat wasn't the right one for me. In these times, for a company to tell you that theirs is the wrong thing for you is a very rare occurrence. I wanted everyone to know about the ethics and what a class act RDL is and that if you are not as inseam challenged as I am you can be assured that he wants you seat to be right, more than he just wants to make a sale.

My seats are on their way to Seth Laam and will arrive tomorrow but my esteem for Russell Day Long will be long lasting.

My Russell sport seat is the same height as a stock seat. Just sayin'
True, but those wings and sides will cause the legs to go further out instead of down making it harder for us shorties to keep the bike upright. I've had the opportunity to sit on several seats back to back and my 30" inseam was definitely able to tell the difference.

My Russell sport seat is the same height as a stock seat. Just sayin'
It's not the height of the seat as much as it's the "wings" of a RDL that makes it tough to put your feet to the ground with a 29"

inseam.

Damn... Jason beat me to the punch. Ride a tall dual sport and you learn to tip toe...a lot.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to post this. This type of thread is a "Class Act" on your part.

I would not let the desire to get both feet on the ground keep me from getting the seat or the bike that I want. Just getting the toes of one foot on the ground is enough.

I hope you are as happy with your Laam Custom Seat as I have been with mine. They are a high quality product.

Kudos to Russell for that. I've found that the wings on my RDL don't have near as much effect on my ground reaching ability when I scoot up near the tank while stopped. For me I'd say there's hardly any difference at all compared to stock. If a Russell seat wouldn't be a good fit for you in their opinion, can I ask why the Laam would be better?

Last edited by a moderator:
The well known Russell Shuffel is necessary for most inseam challenged, at least on tall bikes.

I've had them make several for me over the years, and the only one that really didn't work (because there just wasn't enough room in the factory seat pans to make a Russell work and still deal with the inseam issue) was the one for the K1600.

I do think they try very hard to do what they say they will. And they certainly have enough experience to know what bikes and people will be a good match for their products. I enjoyed my ride in appointment for the K1600, even if it never was possible to get that one the way I wanted.

The Laam doesn't have as much "wing" to it. At least, mine doesn't. At 30", I can get both feet down on my Gen I FZ1 (RDL) and "just about" on the FJR with the Laam. With a bike this heavy, I want to be able to get both feet down.

You have me a little nervous Mike. I ship my seat out next week and I can maybe handle another inch higher, but I'd prefer not to.

Have you considered getting adjustable rear suspension linkage and lowering your bike a half inch or so. Worked for me!