Rear Brake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Flyer

DC Commuter Commando
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Damn my luck. Finally got a guy interested in buying my '06 and the rear brake is not functioning.

Guy is (was?) coming tomorrow. Took the bike for a short ride and the rear brake was dragging. Tried a bleed with no change, although it didn't bleed much. Disassembled the caliper and cleaned up the piston. No change. Pedal is rock hard, but the fluid is not getting to the caliper. Removed the master cylinder to verify it operates freely.

Bled the front calipers. When I bleed the front lower piston the pedal moves freely. Did the ABS functional check and it cycles both front and back. No change.

Fluid is not getting to the rear caliper.

Any thoughts to save this sale? Extremely frustrated.

Remove caliper but let lines hooked up and operate pedal to make sure piston is moving and returning. If not, disconnect line and pump pedal. If brake fluid comes out then blockage is in caliper itself. If no fluid comes out and you say master cylinder was fine then blockage or problem is in rear hose. I've heard of brake hoses breaking down internally where a small "flap" comes loose and when brake is operated the "flap" moves in one direction with the flow of fluid but then hangs up acting like a check valve and restricting the fluid return causing symptoms like you're describing. It would be pretty impossible to see inside so you'd never know buut hose itself may be compromised.

Let us know how you make out and GLWS.

Thank for the quick response. The piston isnt moving. But there is no fluid getting to it. Does the line to the caliper go to the ABS block?

Well the buyer found a 2010 with a lot less miles. At least the pressure is off.

Guess the next step will be to pull the line. Any maybe disassemble the master cylinder. If that goes nowhere I'll just part it out.

Took a break from it. I had to change oil and rotate the tires on my wife's car and then change the oil in my '16 ES.

Had an issue last year with crud in my ABS block and we had to perform that cycle test quite a few times before getting my rear brakes right. A rusty colored hunk of crud finally broke loose and came out when bleeding the rear caliper. Possibility?

Had an issue last year with crud in my ABS block and we had to perform that cycle test quite a few times before getting my rear brakes right. A rusty colored hunk of crud finally broke loose and came out when bleeding the rear caliper. Possibility?
Do you recall how many times? I ran through it four or five times.

It was more like a few dozen! On one of the ABS tests the system should "pulse" your rear pedal twice. Initially the first pulse was almost nonexistent and the second weak as well. We repeated several times alternating with bleeding until the pulses became strong enough to damn near knock my foot off the pedal. You may need to repeat the tests more.