Received the Givi 52 from UPS tonight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr07

Reaction score
Received the Givi 52 from UPS tonight.

Not much to the install except for two little questions.

One, do you actually hammer that impression thru for the hole of the electrical connection?

Two, do you have to take the electrical adapter apart some way and snap it back into the hole?

Looks like a good top case and I am sure that I am going to like it, especially with the brake light system.

I am still waiting on the seat to return from Russell, so no riding time on the FJR :dribble:

Thanks for any reply in advance.

Richard

I never used the electrical connector, but I remember reading on this board that it wasn't the best way to go because it isn't reliable. Do a quick search if no one answers up.

Received the Givi 52 from UPS tonight.Not much to the install except for two little questions.

One, do you actually hammer that impression thru for the hole of the electrical connection?

Two, do you have to take the electrical adapter apart some way and snap it back into the hole?

Looks like a good top case and I am sure that I am going to like it, especially with the brake light system.

I am still waiting on the seat to return from Russell, so no riding time on the FJR :dribble:

Richard
If the 52 is similar in design to the others, then yes, you do need to punch out the circle on the bottom where it is pre-scored. Thread the portion of the wiring through the hole, such that the dome-like portion protrudes into the box, with the two-pole end of that part snapping into the hole (from the bottom) left from the punch-out operation.

The wiring harness should come in pieces so that it can be assembled properly as a matter of installation.

One bit of experienced advice: Don't trust the pre-tinned ends of the wire to hold in the screw-lock connectors, they will break off due to their brittleness, leaving you with intermittent lighting and lots of troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Shane

Don't trust the pre-tinned ends of the wire to hold in the screw-lock connectors, they will break off due to their brittleness
Agree, I had the wires break due to vibration. I used the same Givi trunk (an E360 or 460 if memory serves) for 4 years on a Concours & then 2 more on an 05 FJR. I agree that the connection is the weak point in the whole design, but I will buy another (probably the 52 as well) & use that connection for the brake lights on the new Givi. It wasn't that big of a problem for me just use care when installing (make sure the screws that hold the wires are tight from the factory (mine were not) & look there first if you experience any light problems.

So what color trunk did you get for your 07?

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received the Givi 52 from UPS tonight.Not much to the install except for two little questions.

Richard

Punch out the hole CAREFULLY. When I did it, I inadvertently removed a bit of the plastic beyond the scored ring. The contact pad at the end of the wiring snaps into the hole left after you punch out the scored part in the rack, so my contact pad was a little loose and I put some silicone caulk around it. It's a great trunk and you can get replacement parts for it at Twisted Throttle if you need them.

Punch out the hole CAREFULLY. When I did it, I inadvertently removed a bit of the plastic beyond the scored ring. The contact pad at the end of the wiring snaps into the hole left after you punch out the scored part in the rack, so my contact pad was a little loose and I put some silicone caulk around it.
After reading the above I seem to recall a minor repair also only I used a hot glue gun-a no big deal type of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't trust the pre-tinned ends of the wire to hold in the screw-lock connectors, they will break off due to their brittleness
Agree, I had the wires break due to vibration. I used the same Givi trunk (an E360 or 460 if memory serves) for 4 years on a Concours & then 2 more on an 05 FJR. I agree that the connection is the weak point in the whole design, but I will buy another (probably the 52 as well) & use that connection for the brake lights on the new Givi. It wasn't that big of a problem for me just use care when installing (make sure the screws that hold the wires are tight from the factory (mine were not) & look there first if you experience any light problems.

So what color trunk did you get for your 07?

Best of luck.
The way that I read their web site, the 52 with factory installed tail light assembly only comes in the black.

Thanks for your reply.

Richard

Punch out the hole CAREFULLY. When I did it, I inadvertently removed a bit of the plastic beyond the scored ring. The contact pad at the end of the wiring snaps into the hole left after you punch out the scored part in the rack, so my contact pad was a little loose and I put some silicone caulk around it. It's a great trunk and you can get replacement parts for it at Twisted Throttle if you need them.
I may drill out the center of the hole large enough to get my finger in to try and wiggle it back and forth to see if it will release before taking drastic actions.

Thanks again.

Richard
Had my new rack ('07) installed by Givi in Charlotte, the Tech drilled out the hole for the electrical adapter. The wiring connections were difficult due to the limited space in the rear compartment.

The way that I read their web site, the 52 with factory installed tail light assembly only comes in the black.
I have the black one and it didn't come with a factory installed tail light assembly, had to buy that separately. Installing the lights was a bit of a pain because the wires weren't that long and it was a tight fit. But overall it works well and it's a great trunk. I tried to use a hammer for the connector hole but it didn't work all that well, so I carefully cut it out with a utility knife. The fit was snug but I put some silicone around it anyway just to make sure no water came in that way. I'm going to put the rack on next, right after I get it painted Cobalt Blue so that it will go as fast as the rest of the bike.

Richard
Had my new rack ('07) installed by Givi in Charlotte, the Tech drilled out the hole for the electrical adapter. The wiring connections were difficult due to the limited space in the rear compartment.
I got the adapter installed on the top plate, and looks good.

I can identify with that closeness. I went in there and backed off for a while to think about it. I was trying to figure if you have to take the tail assembly off just to change the bulb. When I twist the light addapter it comes out easily but getting the thing turned around to change the bulb would be impossible, at least on mine unless someone else knows a trick. I'm still thinking on it. I would hate to be on the road and blow a bulb.

Richard
I got the adapter installed on the top plate, and looks good.

I can identify with that closeness. I went in there and backed off for a while to think about it. I was trying to figure if you have to take the tail assembly off just to change the bulb. When I twist the light addapter it comes out easily but getting the thing turned around to change the bulb would be impossible, at least on mine unless someone else knows a trick. I'm still thinking on it. I would hate to be on the road and blow a bulb.
Finally woke up and decided to tie into the brake light behind the left side panel, got her done and it looks good, a tech would never know.