Recommendations for 3-4 season clothing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdoguy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some two piece riding jackets/pants combos, that have decent protection, are waterproof and windproof, and are cool enough for summer and warm enough for spring and fall?

So far I've seen the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants, but I question their durability and protection.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thankx

I love my Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar 2-piece suit with removable Gore-tex liners. I'd pass on the insulated jacket liner if I did it again. With proper underlayment (fleece, coolmax, Sahara vest, etc...) they're comfy for me all year without heated garments. I just picked up a North Face Denali 300 weight fleece jacket which should complete my garment system. Much better insulation than the stuff they sell at roughly the same weight.

The two above as mentioned by ToeCutter and Radman are the best on the market for protection from a two piece.

I have a not the best of the market set up that I'm pretty happy with that I know affords protection from a 70 mph skid across tar and gravel as a friend of mine went down wearing the same gear and walked away without a scratch. Yep, he was bruised but no gear can stop that.

FirstGear Kilamanjaro Air Jacket and MeshTex pants.

They are mesh for comfy summer riding and have insulated, waterproof liners for rain and cold. I live in Sacramento, but I do ride in the mountains here in the Winter in better weather. I have only been down to 26 degrees, but have remained comfortable. Not sure if you'd call this 3 or 4 seasons. It depends on where you live!

It is cooler to wear this gear than to go without in the summer. It provides air and shade at the same time :D

However, if you want the best all around, see the two above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a an Aerostich Darien 2 piece along with an aerostich heated jacket. I've also got some Fieldsheer stuff that I really like also and consider it to be a good value for the quality of the product. While I agree with the others that the Aerostich is a quality product and may be as good as it gets, its alot of money for what you get. I've actually been kicking around selling mine because it usually isn't my first choice when I reach into the closet. I use the Aerostich mostly if I am super slabbing it for a stretch and I know the weather is going to be a little dicey. The Fieldsheer stuff I use if I am going to be doing the twisty thing just because I consider it to be more comfortable when moving around on the seat.

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately budget does come into play... The Aerostitch looks awsome, but mucho dinars, right now anyway... I've already got a textile two piece suit from Teknics that has a removable quilted liner and CE protector, but it's way too warm for summer riding. I guess what I'm looking for is something that'll keep me warm on cool spring and fall nights with some layering, but that will also convert into something that lets a lot of air pass through in the summer, and is waterproof for those 400 mile days in a major downpour, and light enough for urban commuting...and doesn't look like some LONG WAY ROUND wannabee... and still offers reasonable protection in the event of a get-off... and...

The fieldsheer stuff sounds interesting. Any model in particular? How's pricing?

Thankx all

I've got the Glen Scott jacket in black (which may be a discontinued item at this point) and the Booster pants. Both have removable linings and are still fairly comfortable when it gets warmer. For me they are comfortable down to about 45 or 50F without having to layer alot. You can probably pick up both for a little over $200.00. It would be wise to try them on if possible before you buy because their sizes tend to run on the small side. I am normally an XL but had to go to XXL on the jacket. I have never worn this setup in the pouring rain for a couple of hours so I can't say what the performance would be like, whereas I have worn the Aerostich stuff when its gotten snotty and that, for sure, keeps you dry.

So far I've seen the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants, but I question their durability and protection.
I've been running the Alter Ego jacket all winter season in the Pacific Northwest and found it to be a good value for the $200 or so at Newenough.com. So far it has worn well. With the liner in it has taken well to the 30 degree days. Although down in the 20s I've had to put on a fleece and feel a bit of air coming in through the zippers.

The downer is that it isn't waterproof and doesn't even pretend to be between the zippers and the material.

As always, there are compromises.

Can anyone recommend some two piece riding jackets/pants combos, that have decent protection, are waterproof and windproof, and are cool enough for summer and warm enough for spring and fall?

Thankx
Check out the Cayenne here:

https://www.revitusa.net/acatalog/34_Textile_Jackets.html

It is the one on top.

I too, like Paladin, am wearing the Revit stuff -- picked up from the local BMW bike location. Expensive, but can use it here (in Virginia) nearly year-round. Great combo gear. Jay

I own a Joe Rocket "waterproof" jacket, Joe Rocket "waterproof" boots, and Joe Rocket "waterproof" gloves...ALL THREE have left me soaking wet in a steady rain. Even if not for that, I find the design/features of the jacket and boots to be deplorable. I wish I'd never gotten the stuff and definately won't be buying any more J/R gear. :angry:

YMMV,

If you cannot go the Aerostitch Darien route, then try this:

Get to a decent camping goods store, (like CampMor, online) and get Goretex or equivalent pants and jacket shell. It doesn't have to be North Face or Marmot (you might as well buy 'Stitch) but there are less expensive brands, like Columbia and OR that will do nicely. They seal out the wind and waterproof you--better than a 'Stitch. But your crash protection will be underneath.

I relied on North Face goretex pants and jacket over everything for years--used them off the bike as well--but there are now other cheaper brands that are just as good.

An amazing bargain that I found on a visit to the UK (and freezing my butt off in the Lakes District in mid-July :blink: ) was a North Face clone called Gecko that I've been really pleased with! It cost all of $45 US, and uses a GoreTex clone as well.

For those on a budget (or just cheap, like me) try the used route. Ebay is a good source if you are not in a hurry, another good source for used quality goods (beemophiles like to spend money) is Here Lots of high quality stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. It goes from rain and wind proof You can remove the liner for mid weather days or remove the shell to make it mesh for warm weather. I have had mine for two years now and they seem to be holding up well.

I like them.

I would suggest looking at the 2006 Teknic Sprint jacket. I have the Spider model and the Aquavent Pants. I ride from about 30 degrees to 100 using the Teknic gear. The Teknic gear is built well and the fit and finish is very good. Also some of the new Cortech models like the Flex look versatile.

WOW :clap:

Thankx for all the great info!!!! I saw the Teknic Aquavent at the Montreal Motorcycle show and thought it looked a bit more durable then the JR stuff. The teknic stuff I have now is certainly well made and very waterproof, so that might be a good suggestion.

As for Ebay, I'm a big fan of trying stuff on before buying.... :)

@vdoguy,

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but here goes anyway. I wear a Cortech Lite Jacket with Marsee pants in Fall, Winter, Spring...early Fall and late Spring, the liner comes out of the jacket and the vents get openned. Above 70 degrees, I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket (gray) and pants (only come black). I carry a lightweight windbreaker, to wear under the jacket, for cool evenings and a rainsuit (large enough to fit over the JR) for rain.

Brian

Latest posts