Recommended "bar back" product not requiring line extensions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never thought that putting risers on a bike would somehow improve the head buffeting or get a cleaner air flow. Always just assumed exactly the opposite

I have always assumed that adding risers, and specifically the Riser Plates for 2nd/3rd Gens that allow bar angle adjustment, just lets you reduce your forward lean and to align the handle bars to the correct wrist angle to put less pressure on your hands/wrists/arms.

I think it may depend on your height..... At 5'10, and installing the MV Motorrad riser, I had no such issues with turbulance...

I have the revers flip Cee Baileys mid screen... works great for me, shield could be a bit wider at the bottom to protect my hands more, but nothing is going to stop 20* sideways winds... picked the wrong gloves that day.... but I digress...

None of this was my question. I already know I need these.

I only wanted to know if anyone has installed the HeliBar Bridge without also installing the hydraulic line extension.

Fred, this will also not answer your question' but does provide an alternative e to the ugliness of the Heli brake line extension.

I had similar issues when I changed the bars and risers on my Road Star Warrior. The brake line was too short.

I took the line to a local hydraulic shop. They cut the line off at the metal block where it first split and silver soldered the appropriate fitting onto the block, made me a line which was the correct length, then hydro tested the line to 4,000# as I recall, before hanging a DOT Approved tag on it.

I wasn't aware that a brake line must be DOT approved before this.

It was the perfect solution and was quite inexpensive.

Brakes needed flushed and bled anyways.

I added them for the improved ergonomics. The buffeting was a side-effect that I thought I could overcome with a different windshield.

After installing the helibridge with the bars cranked all the way back, it was readily apparent to me that neither the throttle cable or the brake line would have been anywhere near long enough without repositioning/extending (respectively). For normal driving, no big deal. For when the bars are at full lock- there's where the problem would be. I didn't like the look of the brake line extension when it was new. In a week, I didn't notice it over any other part of the harness/assembly. It's invisible once you get used to it. To me, anyway.

Thanks for answering my question, Bill.

As a follow up, I have no intention of ever having the bars pulled back to the most extreme acute angle as that is the same as the stock bar angle, and moving the angle more open is the entire reason I'm buying these risers.

If the bars were about in the mid point angle-wise do you think the brake hose would still be way too short? Maybe the lower brake hose restraint could be moved forward the way the MV Motorrad folks do it?

I'm tempted to go with the MV Risers, which don't require extending brake lines and are cheaper at current exchange rates, except that I don't like that it covers the steering stem nut, which means that the risers need to be removed any time you want to check or adjust the steering stem bearings. I also like the idea of sending my money to Maine rather than Germany. So if I could get the HeliBars to work without extending the hose I might go that way.

I'm tempted to go with the MV Risers, which don't require extending brake lines and are cheaper at current exchange rates, except that I don't like that it covers the steering stem nut, which means that the risers need to be removed any time you want to check or adjust the steering stem bearings.
How often do you really expect to do that ? In all honesty - you put in a hell of alot more effort to pull the wheels for tire changes every time you turn around - pulling the bars is a walk in the park in comparison IMO.... and your surely not doing that every 6-8000 miles like the tires...

I also like the idea of sending my money to Maine rather than Germany.
Understandable for sure.... I do appreciate that sentiment.

I got the MV's and I could stress the lines out a bit more if I really wanted to pull them back all the way - the ability to rise, pull back and straighten was a huge improvement for me......

Good Luck sir....

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bars were at mid point angle-wise, I think you'd have a fighting chance of not having to extend. The throttle cable was tighter on mine than the brake line. Your mileage may vary. The brake extension was a concern for me as well when I was deciding which product to choose. I didn't want to mess with the stock brake system. Life is short. I'd buy a set. Set it like you want. Then check the play. Worst case- you might decide to spend 2 minutes installing the line extension and seeing if it grew on you. Best case- no adjustment might be necessary at all.

Thanks for answering my question, Bill.
As a follow up, I have no intention of ever having the bars pulled back to the most extreme acute angle as that is the same as the stock bar angle, and moving the angle more open is the entire reason I'm buying these risers.

If the bars were about in the mid point angle-wise do you think the brake hose would still be way too short? Maybe the lower brake hose restraint could be moved forward the way the MV Motorrad folks do it?

I'm tempted to go with the MV Risers, which don't require extending brake lines and are cheaper at current exchange rates, except that I don't like that it covers the steering stem nut, which means that the risers need to be removed any time you want to check or adjust the steering stem bearings. I also like the idea of sending my money to Maine rather than Germany. So if I could get the HeliBars to work without extending the hose I might go that way.

I can't remember who made mine, it was a few years ago (Gen1). But my bar risers are adjustable for angle like an f-14's wings. Took some of the pressure off the outer part of my palm. 2 pieces stacked on top of each other w/ a pinch bolt that snugs up a collar on the bottom piece.

Josh

I have no good answer for the OP, my FJR came with risers, suitable for me.

My idea would be, if a hydraulic line needs to be extened, it seems to me that it would be much less noticeable if the extension is connected at the lower end of the line, rather than at the handlebars.

If that approach is too tricky, then most hydraulic shops can make new custom hydraulic lines of adequate length, for fairly reasonable prices. Most of these shops can make steel-braided lines (an upgrade!) and in a variety of colors, not just silver or black. I hate waiting for the delivery truck, or snailmail.

Cheers,

Infrared

My idea would be, if a hydraulic line needs to be extened, it seems to me that it would be much less noticeable if the extension is connected at the lower end of the line, rather than at the handlebars.

If that approach is too tricky, then most hydraulic shops can make new custom hydraulic lines of adequate length, for fairly reasonable prices. Most of these shops can make steel-braided lines (an upgrade!) and in a variety of colors, not just silver or black. I hate waiting for the delivery truck, or snailmail.

Cheers,

Infrared
Must be a Canadian thing then because it's almost impossible to get custom brake lines made up here for non-commercial use, A few years ago one of the forum members here popped a rear brake line the night before a big trip. I called at least 5 other hydralic shops (this is a mining town, find a hydralic shop is EASY). Not one of them would make the line owing to liability reasons. We ended up bringing the bike to the Yami dealer 60km away and having them put on a braided steel line made for VStar to get us back on the road.

I can't remember who made mine, it was a few years ago (Gen1). But my bar risers are adjustable for angle like an f-14's wings. Took some of the pressure off the outer part of my palm. 2 pieces stacked on top of each other w/ a pinch bolt that snugs up a collar on the bottom piece.
Josh
Ah, yes... Those were called Lenkeradaptors. (photo below)

LA-01.jpg

I tried a set of those, but the angle change did not help me on the 1st Gen. The first Gen Helibar risers were near perfect position for me on that bike.

That was something I had considered. The lower termination of that front brake hose is at the ABS block. But, before it gets there, just after the line goes through the opening at the front of the frame it changes to become a hard brake line, so no opportunity to just slide it out a couple of inches.