Recommended Reading

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
I was just about ready to go buy some anti-freeze (the Feejer is due) and I thought to check out the Redline Water Wetter site. I have used Water Wetter in my R1 for years. As I watched the demo at this link, I could not help but think of the FJR. Please take a look. I would like to hear your views, although I will go to Water Wetter in the FJR. CAUTION: No freezing temperature protection!

Water Wetter Demo

I don't think too much of water wetter when used with AF. The AF mfgs already nclude agents that reduce the surface tension of a coolant and increase the boundary layer heat transer in a similar way and more of a good thing doesn't make it better.

As a way to make pure water preform better, WW is a good idea. As a way to make a 50-50 mix of water/AF perform better, I doubt it.

- Mark

I don't think too much of water wetter when used with AF. The AF mfgs already nclude agents that reduce the surface tension of a coolant and increase the boundary layer heat transer in a similar way and more of a good thing doesn't make it better.
As a way to make pure water preform better, WW is a good idea. As a way to make a 50-50 mix of water/AF perform better, I doubt it.

- Mark
I won't be using any Anti-Freeze. According to thier tests (or advertising??) they achieve a temperature drop.

I don't think too much of water wetter when used with AF.  The AF mfgs already nclude agents that reduce the surface tension of a coolant and increase the boundary layer heat transer in a similar way and more of a good thing doesn't make it better.
As a way to make pure water preform better, WW is a good idea.  As a way to make a 50-50 mix of water/AF perform better, I doubt it.

- Mark
I won't be using any Anti-Freeze. According to thier tests (or advertising??) they achieve a temperature drop.
Say what? WW's own literature specifically says that WW does not "signiifcantly reduce the freezing point of water" and that if the vehicle is going to be exposed to freezing temps then "anti-freeze must be used."

And while I'm not convinced that WW does much good with a AF/water mixture, I doubt it does any harm. That's in contrast to running WW/water without any AF which seems quite risky since Yamaha specfiically recommends a 50-50 AF/water coolant for corrosion protection.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Say what? WW's own literature specifically says that WW does not "signiifcantly reduce the freezing point of water" and that if the vehicle is going to be exposed to freezing temps then "anti-freeze must be used."

My wording must have been confusing. I KNOW that WW does not give protection for freezing temps. Not a problem for me. I am however, interested in cooler running temps, as many FJR owners are, I believe.

I used WW in Frank this year, along with a 60/40 (water/AF) mix wondering if it would alleviate the heat problem somewhat. No dice. Though my hot weather experience was limited last year due to a late purchase (Jul 31), I noted no difference this year in cooling efficiency, time to hit 4 bars, or time to come off of 3 bars at speed.

Remember folks, Anti-freeze is not only for cold temps. It also helps raise the boiling limit(as does a pressure cap), it acts as a lubricant for the water pump seals, and it has corrosion inhibitors for the cooling system. Plain water is fine for the drag strip, only. :rolleyes:

Actually, running plain water in anything but an emergency is probably bad for your bike/car/truck. Distilled water+WaterWetter would be highly preferred over plain water for any type of track use.

As far as the FJR's heat issues go, making your coolant more efficient is only going to INCREASE the amount of heat outside the engine that you need to deal with. That's why most of the 'heat fixes' are aimed an insulating and redirecting heat.

Theoretically, to reduce an engines heat output (assuming basically unchanged air/fuel) you need to reduce internal friction and utilize heat repellant ceramic coatings that prevent combustion chamber from being transferred to the piston crown, cylinder head and valves.

I used ww last year,made a noticable diff.Used engine ice this year,and believe it is even better than ww.

I used WW in Frank this year, along with a 60/40 (water/AF) mix wondering if it would alleviate the heat problem somewhat. No dice. Though my hot weather experience was limited last year due to a late purchase (Jul 31), I noted no difference this year in cooling efficiency, time to hit 4 bars, or time to come off of 3 bars at speed.
If you look at the technical information provided on the WW site, they show very little cooling improvement with used with AF. The best improvement comes when using water with WW alone.

This is a little off your topic but my understanding of the bars on the coolant temps. 2 or 3 bars seems to actually be very cool in contrast to what I would have expect for an internal combustion engine. Someone around here had a chart that showed what temp each bar indicated and 2 bars was something extremely low like 100 degrees or something.

The fjr if this number is correct must suffer more from directing the heat than from heat itself.

Closing FJR not hot :D