• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Replacement Luggage Racks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another rack / backrest combo that I made for a fellow rider...  B)
PA241403a.jpg

Cost as shown is about $250 delivered.  Send me a PM if you would like a similar one...

Thanks!
I like the one you made and sold to jblyth.

The price was listed at around $250.

By the way, i ride an 05 model.

I tried to attach the quote, not sure if I did it correct.

I also like the back rest that you make that just bolts to my current rack.

I really like the one for $250, I guess the deciding factor is how easy is it to install and remove.

Is it just a bolt in place or does it require any alteration of my stock rack.

Mark

FYI, none of the items I have made require modifications to any of the stock Yamaha components. Racks that clamp to the stock rack take a bit longer to remove because of the additional bolts. If you don't carry a passenger, then the replacement rack is the nicest and cheapest way to go... ;)

Racks that clamp to the stock rack take a bit longer to remove because of the additional bolts. If you don't carry a passenger, then the replacement rack is the nicest and cheapest way to go...

It looks like the clamp-on style is just one bolt?

I just received one of Gary's custom luggage racks for my 05. The fit and color match was perfect. I opted for the post backrest insert since I already had one of Corbin's overpriced backrests but requested the post be set back a bit to take full advantage of my Rich's seat which is a bit longer and higher than the stock seat. Gary gave me exactly what I asked for, now if I could only find some sexy riding partner to test that backrest....

Received my Luggage rack for my 05 today. :yahoo:

Gary's work is TOP Notch !

Better than any aftermarket piece I've gotten before. Well thought out and made.

Install took less than 5 min.

My new Rapid Transit Platoon Tail bag fits perfectly and mounts easily.

Thanks Gary.

Tim

Gary

How do I communicate with you? I would like to buy a rack with the removeable back rest that mounts with the C-clamps for my 05 galaxy blue FJR.

email me [email protected] ----- or PM me

This looks cool. I'm looking for a rack and a passenger backrest for my 06. What do you think, mount on the existing rack or replace it? I don't plan on having a trunk. I would like to mount my T-bag (left over from my Harley) to the backrest and have it sit on the rack. What do your recommend for the backrest itself. Local shop made or do you have some ideas. Email me at [email protected]. Thanks MartyO

This looks cool. I'm looking for a rack and a passenger backrest for my 06. What do you think, mount on the existing rack or replace it? I don't plan on having a trunk. I would like to mount my T-bag (left over from my Harley) to the backrest and have it sit on the rack. What do your recommend for the backrest itself. Local shop made or do you have some ideas. Email me at [email protected]. Thanks MartyO
Gary,

Like MartyO, I toohave an 06 on order and would like to use my tbag on the bike. Could you please post your response to Marty's question on the forum,

Thanks,

BMort

Hi MartyO - at the moment, I am just finishing up the jig to make racks for the '06. Initially, the first few will be mounted onto the stock tailrack. A backrest will be an option attached to my new rack. The t-bag should fit nicely on my new rack - I recommend getting some 3/4" wide nylon straps and appropriate buckles for securing it. If you find a pad that you would prefer to use, you could send it to me and I will fit it.

I also plan to have a new backrest-only design out soon after I take care of a few riders that have already placed orders. Keep in mind that if you get a replacement rack, your passenger will probably lose the hand bars on the sides of the bike. The upside is that it will probably look cleaner... :)

Garauld,

I think I got your very first rack over 2 years ago. I have an 06 AE coming in Celuran Silver for which I will need a rack. I only want to attach it to the stock mounting unit. Can you provide one? I will let you know when I need it. Just collecting farkles in advance of bike delivery, just like I did for my beloved 05, BlueJay(40K troublefree miles)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi MartyO - at the moment, I am just finishing up the jig to make racks for the '06. Initially, the first few will be mounted onto the stock tailrack. A backrest will be an option attached to my new rack. The t-bag should fit nicely on my new rack - I recommend getting some 3/4" wide nylon straps and appropriate buckles for securing it. If you find a pad that you would prefer to use, you could send it to me and I will fit it.

I also plan to have a new backrest-only design out soon after I take care of a few riders that have already placed orders. Keep in mind that if you get a replacement rack, your passenger will probably lose the hand bars on the sides of the bike. The upside is that it will probably look cleaner... :)
Garauld,

How do I place an order for my 05 ?????

I just purchased a corbin saddle (driver and passenger) with passenger backrest for the 06 A model. Will the rack work with that saddle and backrest?

Is there cutting on the plastic to be done with the one that replaces the stock rack?

I think I'd like the one that goes over the stock rack, is there a rubber undercoating that prevents scratching of the paint?

Mike

I just purchased a corbin saddle (driver and passenger) with passenger backrest for the 06 A model. Will the rack work with that saddle and backrest?
Hi - it should as the new rack as shown here is not anywhere close to the seat. (ignore the backrest)
P7030185a.jpg

Is there cutting on the plastic to be done with the one that replaces the stock rack?
None at all.

I think I'd like the one that goes over the stock rack, is there a rubber undercoating that prevents scratching of the paint?
It doesn't touch any paint - I provide spacers to give about a 1/2" gap between my new rack and the stock tailrack - you would have to overload it before it would bend and touch the paint.
BTW, I just finished painting one up in Cobalt Blue w/o the backrest and will have a photo ready tomorrow which I will post here.

Send me a PM or email if you want one... B)

Backrest only,

I am looking for a backrest only, something that I could add and remove easely ( only when I will have a passenger ).

Something that will not change the sport look of the bike.

Do you built one ?

Backrest only,
I am looking for a backrest only, something that I could add and remove easely ( only when I will have a passenger ).

Do you built one ?

Ah yes, Pierre, I have made up a few of them too for both the '06 as well as earlier models. Check this thread out: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry113073

BTW, the search function works quite well on this forum... :rolleyes:

Backrest only,

Do you built one ?

Ah yes, Pierre, I have made up a few of them too for both the '06 as well as earlier models. Check this thread out: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry113073

BTW, the search function works quite well on this forum... :rolleyes:
Nice !

Do you think you could modify the backrest to have something that will look like the Corbin ?

I just got Gary's rack in the mail this AM for my '06 and it is definitely worth the wait and the money. Very solidly built, professional welding job, and a perfect color match. I had intentions of just putting it on when I needed it but its definitely nice looking enough to leave on all the time....

I just got Gary's rack in the mail this AM for my '06 and it is definitely worth the wait and the money. Very solidly built, professional welding job, and a perfect color match. I had intentions of just putting it on when I needed it but its definitely nice looking enough to leave on all the time....

Piccies?