Replacing saddlebag side cover???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Desert Rider

Reaction score
I had a saddlebag torn off by the front bumper of a blind lady who didn't know what a stop sign meant. The side cover was fine, the mounts were completely destroyed. I purchased a saddlebag from a fellow forum'er and now have tried the task of switching out the side case covers. I was told it could be done. My question is, how???

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Drill out the rivets of old cover, remove old cover and rivet new into place. The rivets are some mm size. Don't remember what one, though. I'm sure someone will be along to tell ya'.

I just drilled out the old rivets on the bottom. You might be able to just grind 'em off with a dremel. On the Gen 2 there is a metal backing plate between the inner and outer plastic casings that prevents the rivet from pulling through. When I reassembled it I seem to remember putting the cover back on the body and locking it to align everything before putting in the rivets.

Can't remember the rivet size but it's a common one, larger than 1/8 inch. 1/4 maybe?

My reassembly came as a result of repainting the cover because...yep...member of the drop club.

Bend down the tab and slide out the pivot pin -- slide the pivot pin back in and bend up the tab. Finished.

(forget drills and rivets...)

You're welcome.

I had to JBweld one of the tabs back in place - but yeah, lots easier than rivet grinding and replacement.