Resurrecting a Norton Barn Find

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyitgobob

Reaction score
A lucky friend of mine was handed a barn find Norton ( 1970 yellow twin carb Commando 750) by another friend of his, who felt it was too much work for him. Hes asked me for suggestions regarding how to proceed in resurrecting this old beast from about 40 years of slumber. I gave him my opinions and told him I would post here knowing there are quite a few very knowledgeable members that might help lend some guidance.

Heres the current status:

Bike appears to be stock, but missing seat and air cleaner, oil return line.(duck taped over)

Engine was oiled occasionally thru plug holes.

Hauled home and a bucket of water thrown on it.

He put it in 4th and rotated the rear wheel and engine is not stuck.

Fiberglass gas tank smells of old gas, cannot see bottom.

Did not come with any Norton girls from the ad campaign. Hes happy with that, probably improperly stored anyway.

I suggested he drain and clean the oil tank and sump plus screen to get rid of any old oil, then refill tank, make certain existing line flows. Remove plugs, lightly oil cylinders and turn engine over to determine if oil pump was outputting to return line. At that time, he could also see if sparks exists or the magic smoke has been released previously. Possibly after that he could replace return line, squirt some gas past the carbs and attempt a start.

I know hell have to rebuild the carbs, clean the tank, replace fuel lines, plus a mess of other stuff to make this a runner. Ive had two Triumphs (1965 500 plus modern Speed Triple) but most of my knowledge of this type of barn find comes from watching Mustie1 start up rusty yard sale junk on YouTube, plus revitalizing a 95 GPZ 1100 that fell on real hard times.

I know hed appreciate any knowledge you guys could offer. He seems to be set on resurrecting and riding this bike, my first suggestion was to just flip it, take a profit, and avoid any emotional or financial heart aches. He only has a pittance invested, except for his dreams.

Ill try to post a photo soon, so you know it really happened. Ha!

TIA for any help!

Bob

4-D08-C0-EC-9-B8-A-4-D0-B-957-A-9-ABBAC946-DB4.jpg
PM sent

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't let Carver see this.
smile.png
it looks totally resurrect able. Parts are around if you look and it would be a nice vintage ride

Niehart can hook you up with one of the local PNW gang putting a Norton back together. He'll have lots of information and especially where to hustle up parts.

Linky

~G

All those bikes were killed by a mount metal fatiguing in the oil bag. It happened when a hard bump was hit and the motor ran dry before the rider knew it. Buy a new oil bag, first thing.

Trash those amal carbs. You can (or could) get a manifold and a single mikuni for the bike. MUCH improvment!

Here's your resource: https://www.inoanorton.com

The magnet inside the crude alternator will need to be replaced and they AINT cheap! This bike was never meant to be ridden with the headlight on all the time. Only hope would be led bulbs.

If the points are behind the jugs, as opposed to beneath a cover on the side of the engine, sell the thing. The roller bearing on the older ones ran directly on the aluminum case. There's no hope for that, and no way to fix it.

Look closely at the threads where the headers join the engine. These were the downfall of the Norton Motors. The metal used to make the head is very soft. Those fine threads are soooo easy to strip. The pipes loosen all the time because the damn rubber bushings in the isolastic motor mounts rot very quickly. Once those threads are gone, the fun begins...

If you do this bike, take the motor mounts apart and burn the rubber off of the metal pieces. Then set the mount up and fill it with flexane (liquid rubber). It will vibrate less an the nightmare with the headers will stop.

The frame is super thin. NEVER sit on the bike when it is on the kickstand! Most of them are braze welded where the stand mounts.

When it runs... well, even now, it is the maximum joy I have experienced on two wheels.... WHEN it runs.

Dont even think about hanging saddle bags on the thing. My dad did on his 750 commando fastback, and he had to add struts which bent around the rear shocks to support the repaired tail section, which failed shortly past the upper shock mount. Enjoy it for what it is - a Brittish hot rod Café Racer, loud, fast, and heck of fun!

Brodie

😁

Last edited by a moderator: