Retrofit ABS to Gen I FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitbox

Reaction score
I have a 2004 FJR without ABS and have been kicking around the idea for a while. Of course I'd have to find a donor bike. Probably a totaled bike or maybe one that's being parted out. Seems like a pretty good winter project. I've done motorcycle work for quite a few years so the mechanical and electrical requirements don't scare me. The big issues I see are scrounging the necessary parts and cost. Yeah I know I can just buy another FJR with ABS already equipped but I've grown fond of this one and I hate the hassle of buying and selling vehicles. Thoughts?

Extra line running, possible different wiring harness, ABS specific parts and components addition/swaps, CPU considerations.....having had both ABS and non-ABS FJR...and having parted out the latter...I'd find my self a 10 foot pole to not touch the project with.

And assuming a donor bike do you REALLY know if the ABS works. Some of the blocks seize up with no outward appearance. Make that a 15 foot pole.

But that's me.

I could test ride a half dozen good used examples and find one that's as good as the one I'm fond of.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you going to account for the sensor hubs on the wheels, and the sensor mounting? Don't forget that the forks of the ABS model have a notch molded into them to hold the sensor stationary. That's gonna be a bitch to figure out. Do the non ABS '04s even have the mounting points for the ABS block?

I'm with Iggy on this, but I'm going with 20ft pole.

An 05 ABS or any Gen 2 is going to be a bargain this time of year, and can be made into the bike you've grown fond of. If you have the extra cash on hand, you can buy now and sell in Spring and actually make some pretty good money, or at least not pay for an substantial upgrade. There is a lot more to the ABS than just the blocks and lines.

I haven't searched if anyone has documented this upgrade on the forum. I kinda doubt it.

Sad part about way too many of the Gen 1 FJR ABS units: the rear ABS just "goes out." This has been addressed before on this forum. Wouldn't that be a joy to go through all that work... even if you could find a donor bike, and were willing to do all the work yourself; only to have half the system go out on you? So now after all that money and work you have no ABS on the rear? And good luck finding a low mileage Gen 1 ABS block that actually works. They are hot commodities on the net BECAUSE so many of them have gone bad and frustrated owners have snapped up every available used unit out there. For that same reason, if ya do try to buy one online, it won't e cheap. Supply and demand you know.

Gary

darksider #44

You wouldn't even know if parts from (a) donor bike(s) even worked until you'd done all the work of getting them out and putting them in, and after you do that and find out the donor bike had frozen solenoids, where are you?

If you don't have ABS and you think it's that important, change bikes. It's WAY easier!!!!! And you can make sure the system works before you take it home.

Gitbox, I' m almost confident that many of THE Abs issues include someone messing about the system with magnetic tools which is a very bad thing! Rehab (Lazarus?), my 2004 gen1 includes the optional Abs and it will be awhile til finding if it is working. If not, so be it, but if so then another bonus system to encounter. Bottom line, how boring are those winters and how deep the wallet may still not get results. Trashing a runner for a Frankenfeeger is a sacrificial maybe at best. Find a good used runner, defarkle, and part out or sell what you don't want from there. Let me know if you wind up doing so, a bit self serving I know, but never hurts to be honest, Right?

Gitbox, I' m almost confident that many of THE Abs issues include someone messing about the system with magnetic tools which is a very bad thing! Rehab (Lazarus?), my 2004 gen1 includes the optional Abs and it will be awhile til finding if it is working. If not, so be it, but if so then another bonus system to encounter. Bottom line, how boring are those winters and how deep the wallet may still not get results. Trashing a runner for a Frankenfeeger is a sacrificial maybe at best. Find a good used runner, defarkle, and part out or sell what you don't want from there. Let me know if you wind up doing so, a bit self serving I know, but never hurts to be honest, Right?

Oops, Fng error on the double up. My bad, dog pile ensues!

You would be money and time ahead to sell your non-ABS and buy a used 1st Gen bike that has it, then transfer whatever farkles you have on your old bike to the new one. No way ever that you could come even close by trying to retrofit ABS onto your old '04. While many have considered it, none that I am aware of have ever pulled it off.

As for the 1st Gens that develop non-functional rear ABS, it is not a wheel sensor issue. The problem is that the valves (spools) inside the hydraulic block become frozen, and to date nobody has come up with a way to unfreeze them when it happens. The best way to prevent that from happening is to activate the ABS often, and keep the brake fluid fresh.

You can activate the ABS by performing the ABS pump test in the FSM (also documented here elsewhere) , or for the rear by just stomping on the rear brake now and then. While I have tested my front ABS dynamically in straight line braking, I would not advise making that a regular test, just in case they are non-functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys.
smile.png
I appreciate your input.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

Nah, just kidding. I did not realize that the early ABS systems were so problematic. In that case I think I may just pass on that project. It did sound easier than fitting a turbocharger to it...
omg2.gif

You would be money and time ahead to sell your non-ABS and buy a used 1st Gen bike that has it, then transfer whatever farkles you have on your old bike to the new one. No way ever that you could come even close by trying to retrofit ABS onto your old '04. While many have considered it, none that I am aware of have ever pulled it off.
As for the 1st Gens that develop non-functional rear ABS, it is not a wheel sensor issue. The problem is that the valves (spools) inside the hydraulic block become frozen, and to date nobody has come up with a way to unfreeze them when it happens. The best way to prevent that from happening is to activate the ABS often, and keep the brake fluid fresh.

You can activate the ABS by performing the ABS pump test in the FSM (also documented here elsewhere) , or for the rear by just stomping on the rear brake now and then. While I have tested my front ABS dynamically in straight line braking, I would not advise making that a regular test, just in case they are non-functional.
''As for the 1st Gens that develop non-functional rear ABS, it is not a wheel sensor issue. The problem is that the valves (spools) inside the hydraulic block become frozen, and to date nobody has come up with a way to unfreeze them when it happens. The best way to prevent that from happening is to activate the ABS often, and keep the brake fluid fresh.''

+1!!!
good.gif

I was originally looking for a later model FJR or C14 (EFI and ABS mandatory) when I accidentally came across my FJR at a Harley dealership. They wanted it off their inventory FAST so they gave me a real sweet deal. I couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I didn't. It's been a really great bike, ABS notwithstanding. (never had it on any previous bikes anyway)

Thanks for the responses guys. :) I appreciate your input.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

Nah, just kidding. I did not realize that the early ABS systems were so problematic. In that case I think I may just pass on that project. It did sound easier than fitting a turbocharger to it... :eek:mg2:
No, no...I think a turbo charger is doable. That or a supercharger. You said you're good. Get off your ass and add some high pressure HP to that girl. Hahahaha...I haven't seen a turbo done on these either, but I'm betting that would be easier than retrofitting the dammed ABS!

You know someone is giving serious thought to the fact that a Ninja is now available with a blower. Why not.....?

Who's up to it?

Swap an newer ABS unit if you want a project. Saw where a guy put a newer C14 (Kawasaki Concours 1400) abs unit on an older C10 (Concours 1000). I have seen so many threads saying it wasn't possible...he showed them!

Personally, I like not having ABS, but that's just me.

Rain, that is an idea, but I've decided to pass on this. Curious why you like *not* having ABS?

Rain, that is an idea, but I've decided to pass on this. Curious why you like *not* having ABS?
Because he doesn't have it?
He's a real man that uses brakes the way they are intended. Without ABS he stops quicker and shorter; controls emergency stops & panic stops better and has much better control on unexpected oil, sand and antifreeze on the road. Anti-lock brakes and self canceling turn signals kill people. Word. ;) :lol: Heck, if ABS really worked and if traction control really worked it would be on race bikes...