Ride In Rain?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBlue

Arrhythmia and Blues
Reaction score
As my other bike IS my other car I ride rain or shine. Down here in S. Tejas the weather is mostly sunny, but I have no qualms about riding in rain. Alot of folks, yankees and yuppies mosly, ask me about this alot on rainy days. Being a military brat, I started riding in the UK and if you cant handle rain you dont ride. Other than slowing down a little I dont modify too much and I ride a non ABS bike. Any opinions?

Bobby

I don't mind riding in the rain... sort of appreciate it when it's really hot in that it cools things down. I have ABS and Avon tires... and that gives me a bit of confidence. Something I wonder about, I think I'm less likely to hydroplane on the bike than when in the cage, but don't know that for sure. I do know that when I went through 2 very heavy downpours a couple of months ago, I saw some cages that hydroplaned a bit whereas I didn't. Maybe it's the fact that the bike has more of it's weight on a smaller contact patch. Any fact or opinions on this? :Snorkle:

It's easier to dodge the stagnant waters on a bike than in a car. Hydroplaning doesn't happen if you stay out of the rain grooves.

Hydroplaning on a bike is scary! :blink:

I ride in the rain. If it's really bad I'll stop and wait it out, but usually I'm too impatient and keep believing it will get better in 5-10 miles. Eventually I'm right.

If it occurs on a trip, no prob. Have rain suit, will travel. I won't, however, purposely head out into it if I can avoid it. I postponed a trip to visit my daughters in NC for that reason-the weather looked like shit so I put it off until fall. I ride for pleasure, not out of neccessity, so why subject myself and the bike to unpleasant conditions if I don't have to?

I've hydroplaned once on a bike (a long time ago), but a lot on a car. The only explaination I can come up with is the smaller/narrower contact patch of a motorcycle tire makes it less likely.

I've heard the same about driving in snow from the old man. And damned if he wasn't right. I tested it once with my chevy C20 and my buddies F-150. He had big A$$ swampers mounted and I had skinny (~200 i think) sneakers on. He was all over the road and I tracked along just fine. We swapped trucks, and I was all over the road and he was tracking just fine. My truck stopped much quicker also.

I'm a firm believer that wider IS better for dry-grip performance, but narrower is better for wet/ice control.

Now if we can just get the teutels with a 300 rear out here to go against an old harley dirt tracker for the ultimate comparo!

bobbyblue, military brat, eh? me too! spent a lot of time between germany and texas (el paso & san antonio.... GO SPURS! :clap: )

Now I'm living in the UK. Damn right about the rain. London really sucks though, manhole covers everywhere are pretty frightening. haven't had the FJR out too much commuting as I've got another commuter bike. But I've toured plenty in the wet. You find out your expensive waterproof gear ain't as waterproof as you'd like. Scotland sorted that out pretty quickly.

i do slow down a bit, especially on turns. not terribly interested in pushing it in the rain, figure tomorrow's another day to take that turn harder, no hurry..... but touring, i'll go pretty quick on motorways if they are pretty straight. :eek:

-colin

Likewise, in the Pacific NorthWet- if you're never going to ride in the rain, then the riding season is about two months long.

I may not go out of my way to find rain, but I won't go out of my way to avoid it, either.

If it rains while I'm out, oh well.

I won't start out in the rain, because my baby gets all dirty and I hate all the cleaning required after.

I spent years with only a bike and the rain doesn't bother me any more but if I have the choice of driving my truck or putting the rain gear on & off I'll usually take the truck.

Concur w/Radman & FJRottie; get caught in it on trip, deal with it; bike's getting dirty anyway....what a PITA cleanup job later though...that 'dirt fog' makes in into every crevice.......

I ride rain or shine.. I can say that the rear tire on the fjr gets much looser in the rain than any other bike I've ridden... but I just learn to give a little more space :D

James

Likewise, in the Pacific NorthWet- if you're never going to ride in the rain, then the riding season is about two months long.
I may not go out of my way to find rain, but I won't go out of my way to avoid it, either.
B)

My "normal" gear is pretty water proof, so I really don't worry about the rain. Just make sure that I have the shell over top of the mesh.

Here in Seattle, according to Bill Cosby, it rains at least 365 days out of the year. Therefore even the fair weather rider have to ride in the rain.

I keep raingear with me and normally wear waterproof boots. I remember one trip during my squidly years when I was wearing a thick leather jacket and got caught in athe rain, the jacket weighed at least 3 times as much when wet. It took all weekend in front of the heater to dry.

Anyway, back to the question, I ride in the rain. I do slow down some mostly because the other drivers are even more likely to do something stupid when the weather changes.