Ride to escape the heat Saturday September 26th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff D

Reaction score
[SIZE=36pt]Well thanks to a great route suggestion by Dan out in Woodland we are leaving SUNDAY going over hwy 16 through Rancho Murrieta, to 49, south on 49 to 4 @ Angels Camp, up and over Ebbetts Pass to 89, stop at Markleeville, then up 88 past Kirkwood and Silver Lake. We will be jumping on the Mormon Emigrant Trail (MET) about 5 miles or so past Silver Lake and hits 50 near Sly Park and Pollock Pines. MET is a paved logging road with some traffic, limited to 55 but can be driven a tad faster.[/SIZE]

Details of the meeting point Sunday morning will be posted Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello...

it's good of you to call this - and I'd encourage you to continue to call runs in the future.

that said... i cannot make this one because i am down in costa mesa in support of my g/f's son's wedding.

once i get back i'll be taking my bike in (an '07) for its 52k valve + major service.

maybe next time.

dave.

Just today I was just thinking about riding Hwy 4. I can't make it tomorrow....too many chores to make up for traveling last weekend.

Suggestion: When you get into Calaveras there's a signal where Hwy 4 comes up from the right and "T's" into Hwy 49 (IIRC, a Shell station on the left). The next signal should be Murphy's Grade Rd. Turn left and ride old Murphy's Grade into and through the town of Murphys. After riding through the town (2 blocks, or so) on the South end you can turn left on Big Trees Rd./Scott Rd. and that will take you 1 block to Hwy 4. Then you can turn left to go up hill.

You won't miss much because Calaveras isn't all that scenic but Murphy's is quaint. And Hwy 4 between Calaveras and Murphys isn't "all that", either.

Have a great ride. Watch the closing radius turns on the Eastern slopes of Hwy 4. Er....uhm.....a quick run on Hwy 89 over Monitor Summit to 395 and back is also waaaaayyyyy fun! Enjoy lunch in Markleeville, we've eaten at the hotel (on the left @ Montgomery Street?), and at the sandwich place (alfresco) on the right.

MET is a paved logging road with some traffic, limited to 55 but can be driven a tad faster.
There are some who have been known to ride that bit of pavement at "warp speed".

Jeff - well we messed up our communication but it'll be cool - check your PM's and kind of ignore the last one, lets chat later today (Saturday) re: meeting place for Sunday.

MM2 - thanks, know the grade well!! plus, there's a usually crowded little ice cream shop in downtown Murphys that might need a visit if we can find a place to park! And I hear you on the east side corners, which are also sometimes blessed with a bit of sierra granite dust.

I will be watching both the weather and the start time meet place. Can't make any promises. I hate riding through the Central Valley in 95+ degree heat, but we'll see.

P.S. MM2, Who is this Al Fresco you talk so highly of?

Mark

We are actually going on Sunday instead of Saturday. We plan on meeting at 8:15 on Sunrise at the Chevron station just north of hwy 50. Its on the right hand side if you are coming down south about a block before you get to the freeway.

Just today I was just thinking about riding Hwy 4. I can't make it tomorrow....too many chores to make up for traveling last weekend.
Suggestion: When you get into Calaveras there's a signal where Hwy 4 comes up from the right and "T's" into Hwy 49 (IIRC, a Shell station on the left). The next signal should be Murphy's Grade Rd. Turn left and ride old Murphy's Grade into and through the town of Murphys. After riding through the town (2 blocks, or so) on the South end you can turn left on Big Trees Rd./Scott Rd. and that will take you 1 block to Hwy 4. Then you can turn left to go up hill.

You won't miss much because Calaveras isn't all that scenic but Murphy's is quaint. And Hwy 4 between Calaveras and Murphys isn't "all that", either.

Have a great ride. Watch the closing radius turns on the Eastern slopes of Hwy 4. Er....uhm.....a quick run on Hwy 89 over Monitor Summit to 395 and back is also waaaaayyyyy fun! Enjoy lunch in Markleeville, we've eaten at the hotel (on the left @ Montgomery Street?), and at the sandwich place (alfresco) on the right.

MET is a paved logging road with some traffic, limited to 55 but can be driven a tad faster.
There are some who have been known to ride that bit of pavement at "warp speed".